Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am also terribly scared of the dentist. I had an AWFUL experience when I got my wisdom teeth PULLED out when I was a freshman in college. (i had no pain meds...the shot/novacaine had not taken effect! It kicked in about the time my mom got me to the car! The dentist did not believe me and said he could not give me another shot.) Anyway, since then-the thought of going and sitting in that chair completely FREAKS ME OUT. That has been 13 years ago.
LUCKILY, I have REALLY good teeth...and nobody believes me when I tell them that it has been that long since I have been to the dentist. I take my kids to the ped. dentist, my husband goes...but not me...I just can't...yet. I don't have cavities...but I know I need to go and get them cleaned and stuff
.Anyway...true confessions...but that pulling 4 teeth with no pain killers was AWFUL! I wouldn't wish that on my WORST enemy...well ok..maybe if I REALLY thought they needed the torture!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Oh yeah, i didn't answer your question...i was just emphathizing with you and proud you had been so brave...LOL...

Anyway, I like the bear with the chattering teeth and the cookie basket...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would go with something that they can showcase and everyone can see how great they are. I love the cookies but they will be gone way too fast lol. I like the bear with the teeth the best!

Ok now for my empathy. I HATE the dentist as well. Although my new dentist and hygienist are wonderful I still hate going. I always put it off till my hygienist sees me and says I am due lol. Anyway, here's my story.
My family is known for bad teeth. My mom's teeth were so bad when she was a teenager that when she got in a car accident, she lost all her teeth. She has had false teeth ever since. My older brother was a baby then and in her lap (didn't have to use car seats back then lol) and when she saw all the blood she freaked out thinking it was my brothers. Anyway back to me. My teeth always bled when they were cleaned. I was ALWAYS yelled at about it and when I was about 13 my hygienist called all 5 of my brothers and sisters in to show them how bad my teeth were so they would know how important it was to brush and floss. Now let me just say that I have ALWAYS brushed my teeth more than anyone I ever knew. I brushed twice a day and then sometimes even after every meal because I hated the feel of my teeth if they weren't brushed. I went through tooth brushes faster than anyone! So then when I was 16-17 I was getting a cavity filled and my nerves are on the TOP of my teeth and the dentist didn't know this until he drilled a nerve. I really didn't notice till he asked if I was ok. My mom later told me what he did. Anyway a year later my tooth hurt so bad that I had to have a root canal on that tooth. Then it still hurt so I had to go back. He found 2 more canals and had to do another root canal. Then I went back with a cheek the size of a baseball and had yet another root canal. I still said it hurt and he didn't believe me so he refused to do another root canal. Now root canals are expensive and even though it was HIS fault he charged my parents for all three of those root canals. I am not even sure if they ever paid it off.
So now I have to go to my new dentist on Jan. 5th to get that tooth pulled. She suggested another root canal but said she understood why I don't want to pay $300 if I am not sure it will work. To get it pulled is only like $30 and then to have a partial made is about $200 something. It comes out to be about $300 in the end. I also have had infections in that tooth for years and the roots are worn away so bad that the roots are way shorter than all the others! I am 26 now and the first time I went to this dentist it had been about 7 years since I had been to a dentist. My teeth were so bad that they had to do a scaling instead of a regular cleaning. Tomorrow I have to go in for another cleaning, this time it's a different woman than I have been seeing. I hope she is just as nice as the other woman. Sorry this was so long. I just wanted to let you know, you are not the only one scared of the dentist lol.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Good grief Fannymay..a nerve on top..ouch!!!!
Yeah, you can be scared too...LOL...but still you go...I don't go...yet...
My stomach knots up just thinking about it...i would rather birth another child....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I hate going to the dentist.. I really have this weird thing about mouth stuff, I don't like fingers being stuck in there and having someone poke me in there.. Bleh, just talking about it gives me the heebies.

I like the cookie gift basket, it's super cute!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dentists in Poland are HORRIBLE. They make you suffer.
I went to the dentiist again today. I hope soon i will be done. 2 more root canals

Will it be the riht thing to do to give the dentist and others a thanks you card along with some gifts??? or you just dont do that in this country???

·
Registered
365 Posts
I hate going to any doctor! I am such a baby and probably will still be a big baby about until i'm 90!! :lol:
I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience!!

tlunn~ I never had a cavity ever for my whole life until last year... I haven't been to the dentist for several years prior because like you, I didn't have any pain and I was chicken... So when I finally went, I thought it will be okay and they told me I have cavities! None of my teeth bothered me so I was shocked! You should go for a check up just to at least make sure and to prevent from ever getting them!
Now..., I have to deal w/4 wisdom teeth!
@ have come out and 2 are under the gum so now i'm trying to get myself to make an appt. with the oral surgeon!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Dec 17 2004, 02:17 AM
I hate going to any doctor! I am such a baby and probably will still be a big baby about until i'm 90!! :lol:
I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience!!

tlunn~ I never had a cavity ever for my whole life until last year... I haven't been to the dentist for several years prior because liek you, I didn't have any pain and I was chicken... So when I finally went, I thought it will be okay and they told me I have cavities! None of my teeth bothered me so I was shokced! You should go for a check up just to at least make sure and to prevent from ever getting them!
Now..., I have to deal w/4 wisdom teeth!

@ have come out and 2 are under the gum so now i'm trying to get myself to make an appt. with the oral surgeon!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23907
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I know I SHOULD go...but when I think about calling my stomach gets all jiggly inside and I feel like tossing my cookies...

Definetley call an oral surgeon...I STILL resent my mother for making me have them all pulled when they could have knocked me out and cut 'em or pulled them like NORMAL people! I think my mom was trying to be cheap and torturous!!!!! I think having them pulled would have sucked under normal circumstances...but the shots not kicking in and FEELING it all made it much worse.

I just have weird reactions to meds sometimes. The same interthecal I took with my first child during labor and did fine with, wore off with my second-so I was drug-drunk but could feel EVERYTHING. When people ask me if I had pain meds...I tell them I had her drunk/natural!
They look at me like I am nuts
until I explain. Anyway, I have always been that way with meds. So most of the time, I don't even take a tylenol unless I am dying..

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Poor Fanny...I would die if I had all those problems. You're very brave. I got my first and only cavity at 28 (I'm 30 now) and I wanted to die. He dentist said it was so little that he didn't want to put any anesthesia but I begged and begged until he did it.

He always says that if everyone had my teeth, he would be broke :D . I'm glad because I don't think I can go through all of that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts