Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss for words...I just found out my local breeder is taking all of her dogs to Arkansas from New Hampshire for the winter! The situation is I told her that I wanted my pup the 2nd weekend in December before giving her the Deposit, and she is leaving the day after Thanksgiving, for the winter. I'm unable take my pup earlier because of another commitment that I cannot change, and will have no one to care for him for 4 days, so she gave me an option of having it shipped(of course she is going to charge me, but at a cheaper rate because she will send it with other dogs when she does ship) www.tcupmaltese.com

I sent an email to her last night requesting a refund...does that seem fair for me to ask for this? I did tell her when I wanted the pup before I sent her the deposit. Even if I were able to take it before she leaves it wouldn't even be 12 weeks yet. I told her in the email I do not wish to have my pup shipped, which is why I chose a local breeder in the first place, and I would like my deposit back. Do you think she will return my deposit?

Anyone recomendations on Massachusetts or New Hampshire breeders? I live in Mass, but on the New Hampshire line.

Thank you,
Michelle

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
So sorry about your situation. I would like to think that any reputable breeder would give your refund, but I am afraid I don't think that will happen in this case. To begin, when you were inquiring and up front about when you wanted your furbaby, this "breeder" knew that she would be making this trip, yet did not inform you. But she readily took your money! Next, even though I have not looked at the site, she used t-cup in the name. Reputable breeders know that t-cup is not even a legitimate description of malts. It is simply a way to charge unknowing people more money, for a toy breed. Third, she is moving and shipping the puppies back!?! And she would allow you to take your puppy early (even with unforseen circumstances, a puppy should not be taken away from its' mom before 12 weeks. A couple of days early, sure. A couple of weeks, no way!
I hope for your sake that your request is fulfilled. Please keep us posted on any response you are able to get.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I hope that you can get your money back and I would run, not walk away from this breeder. Good luck. If you paid by credit card I would start the dispute process soon or if it was by check I would stop payment immediately before she has a chance to cash it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'm sorry to say but this is not a very good breeder. On her website she says "She is a T-Cup weighing 4.5 pounds." Umm...4.5lbs is within standard. The standard says "Weight under 7 pounds, with from 4 to 6 pounds preferred." Some can be smaller or larger than that though. They are all still called maltese. There is no such thing as a teacup maltese.

Teacup Maltese
The Myth About Teacup Maltese

How much are you willing to spend? I would recommend starting with the Breeder's List on The American Maltese Association website. These are all show breeders so you will be paying more for the puppy but you should get a nice, healthy puppy.

I Just Want A Pet
Questions To Ask Breeders, And Things To Look For

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am sorry this has happened to you and I have to agree with all the responses so far. It sounds to me like you may have a struggle getting your money back as this person doesn't sound like a reputable breeder. You may indeed have a bit of a battle with her, but you may have to take it further if you wish to persist. Depending on your method of payment and the timing as to whether she has already cashed the check, you may be in for a difficult time with her. If you paid by credit card you might be able to dispute the payment with your credit card company.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh my goodness... this is not a breeder I would ever purchase a puppy from. She not only breeds what she calls her "T Cup Maltese", but also "T Cup Yorkies" and Shih-tzus. Her main site is PuppyLoveKennel. On the Yorkie page she has a two and a half pound fully grown little girl named Razzle Dazzle Doll who she is planning to breed this fall! She is confident that Razzle Dazzle Doll will "throw some gorgeous MICRO T-CUP babies", in her own words. In my opinion this is not an ethical breeder. She also mentions that the puppies come with two of their three puppy shots, but puppies are supposed to have a series of four boosters, usually given at 6wks, 9wks, 12wks and 16wks... then a rabies vacc. I'm really sorry, but I would not purchase from this breeder. I really hope you get your deposit back.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Tavish@Nov 4 2005, 09:48 AM
Oh my goodness... this is not a breeder I would ever purchase a puppy from. She not only breeds what she calls her "T Cup Maltese", but also "T Cup Yorkies" and Shih-tzus. Her main site is PuppyLoveKennel. On the Yorkie page she has a two and a half pound fully grown little girl named Razzle Dazzle Doll who she is planning to breed this fall! She is confident that Razzle Dazzle Doll will "throw some gorgeous MICRO T-CUP babies", in her own words. In my opinion this is not an ethical breeder. She also mentions that the puppies come with two of their three puppy shots, but puppies are supposed to have a series of four boosters, usually given at 6wks, 9wks, 12wks and 16wks... then a rabies vacc. I'm really sorry, but I would not purchase from this breeder. I really hope you get your deposit back.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116547
[/QUOTE]
Oh wow... I can't believe she wants to breed such a tiny girl.
Even with a small sire that's no guarantee against throwback large puppies being produced. -_-

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
As for the schedule for puppy shots, there is a trend, based on newer research, that to start the puppy shots at eight or nine weeks. If this is done, then the pup will just have two of the first shots (nine and twelve). Even some of the literature in one of the catalogues that sells the vaccines recommends this. If the pup is still nursing at six weeks, and the mom has good immunity, then the shot at six weeks is not going to do anything.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said before and I think that things work out certain ways just because....I hope you are able to get a refund on your deposit. Did you sign any contracts yet? If not, you may have recourse in that she is not delivering the puppy under the agreed to terms. But good luck getting your money because you may have to take her to small claims court. Unless she took your deposit on a credit card. If that's the case, you can dispute the charge with the credit card company. When we were searching for our pup, it took a long time...but it was well worth the wait. My breeder only required that we send her a $100 deposit (which was not cashed) to hold a pup. This was done prior to the birth. Then when we went to visit at 9 weeks, and when we agreed that this was our dog, she cashed the $100 check. The balance was due when we took her home at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Hi Michelle,
First of all, Welcome to SM. I am sorry that you are having problems and I hope that you can get a refund. It is very disheartening to think that you have everything worked out, and then find out otherwise. You don't say how much your deposit was, but I would tell you that the money may not be the most important thing in this case. The overall health and well being of your puppy is what really counts. If you are dealing with an unethical breeder then you may have a higher than average chance of a puppy with health problems. Over time whatever deposit is on the line may be much smaller than vet bills....

Whatever you decide we'll be glad to offer advice. Someone may be able to suggest some other breeders in your area. Glad that you came here, and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree with everything everyone has said. Run, don't walk away from this "breeder" even if you lose your deposit. Consider it a hard lesson learned in why never to buy a puppy from an internet website. Currently there is no legislation regulating the sale of puppies over the internet so it's fair game for every crook and shyster who can pay a few bucks every month to maintain a website.

I have no idea what your deposit was, but it is insignificant compared to what you most likely will pay in vet bills for a genetically unsound puppy. Liver shunt surgery alone is several thousand dollars. And it is impossible to put a price on the heartbreak of living with (and possibly losing) a dog with chronic health issues.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 4 2005, 12:35 PM
I agree with everything everyone has said. Run, don't walk away from this "breeder" even if you lose your deposit. Consider it a hard lesson learned in why never to buy a puppy from an internet website. Currently there is no legislation regulating the sale of puppies over the internet so it's fair game for every crook and shyster who can pay a few bucks every month to maintain a website.

I have no idea what your deposit was, but it is insignificant compared to what you most likely will pay in vet bills for a genetically unsound puppy. Liver shunt surgery alone is several thousand dollars. And it is impossible to put a price on the heartbreak of living with (and possibly losing) a dog with chronic health issues.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116594
[/QUOTE]

I would like to add a different statement to Lady's warning about buying from an internet website.
The internet and websites is a form of advertising for the shyster as well as those at the top in Maltese breeding. I would never say never. I would just say use the website as a starting point to learn about the breeder. You should proceed from there in doing your research to see if this is the type breeder who can provide you a quality dog, well socialized, and from healthy parents.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Regarding Marj's and Faye's comments..... I think there are two ways to buy a puppy over the internet and they are radically different. In the bad way, you see a puppy on the internet and put him or her in your shopping cart, pay for him or her and that's it. The breeder does not screen buyers, etc. Typically, this type of breeder has a ton of puppies available and usually has a couple breeds.

The good way for buying over the internet is to see a couple puppies pictured along with instructions to contact the breeder for more details, at which time the breeder will screen the buyer and the get a deposit, etc.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Nov 4 2005, 12:55 PM
Regarding Marj's and Faye's comments..... I think there are two ways to buy a puppy over the internet and they are radically different. In the bad way, you see a puppy on the internet and put him or her in your shopping cart, pay for him or her and that's it. The breeder does not screen buyers, etc. Typically, this type of breeder has a ton of puppies available and usually has a couple breeds.

The good way for buying over the internet is to see a couple puppies pictured along with instructions to contact the breeder for more details, at which time the breeder will screen the buyer and the get a deposit, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116599
[/QUOTE]

When I get an inquiry for a pup, I always ask them to send me their phone number so I can give them a call. I had a woman this week tell me that hers was unlisted. Hey, if she doesn't trust me enough to have her phone number, then I don't trust her enough to have one of my pups.
I will willingly answer any questions I can about my dogs, but I expect to have a person who will be honest with me about their home and purpose for obtaining a pup.
Last night, I talked with a lady who wants a pup for her daughter. She really doesn't have much money, and she is looking at one from her paper for $375. I knew she wouldn't be getting one of mine, but I did all I could to educate her on what to look for in the pup she was going to see. I also told her to email me if she had further questions. I've had people actaully call me from a breeder's house to ask me things.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You guys are absolutely right. I should have said "never buy a puppy from an unknown breeder over the internet". Obviously, the top breeders like Rhapsody, Chrisman, etc. all have websites. Thanks for catching that.

The ones you have to watch out for are the so-called breeders who only have a website. No reputation, no name made in the show ring, no referrals from a friend, etc., just the ones you stumble on when doing an internet search for maltese puppies.

But remember, there is no substitute for seeing the place where your puppy will come from "up close and personal". As Lucy Lou recently pointed out to us in another post, even some top notch breeders with great reputations keep their dogs in kennels 20 hours a day. How your much your puppy is handled by humans in those early weeks is so important to his development. All the websites claim their puppies are home raised, but you won't really know until you see for yourself.

There are some great tips on finding a reputable breeders pinned at the top of this section you might want to read.

I believe AJ's beautiful little Rosie came from the Massachusetts area. Hopefully she will see this thread and be able to share her experience with you.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I wouldn't have Sadie and Sassy if it weren't for the internet. I didn't buy them over the internet, but I did the research there. I made contact with breeders but when it came to actually talking about a puppy the good ones always want to talk to you over the phone (at the very least). I had to fill out a 9 page application for one lady.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a response from the breeder

"I see, so you are telling me that now you do not want him?
It is clearly stated on our site that we do not refund deposits, we have held this puppy for you since October 4th which is 4 weeks now.
He has been placed back up for sale"

I guess I won't get my $500 back...my girls 11 and 12 years olsd are going to be so dissapointed

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by wildaboutmickey@Nov 4 2005, 03:08 PM
I got a response from the breeder

"I see, so you are telling me that now you do not want him?
It is clearly stated on our site that we do not refund deposits, we have held this puppy for you since October 4th which is 4 weeks now.
He has been placed back up for sale"

I guess I won't get my $500 back...my girls 11 and 12 years olsd are going to be so dissapointed 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116623
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I am just terribly sorry to hear what you're going through. Unfortunately, you, like so many other unsuspecting folks, ended up with an awful breeder. There are good ones..... you just need to find them. Where are you located? We can help educate you on the "red flags" to look for when searching for a puppy.

I know how disappointed you must be not getting the puppy, besides losing $500.

As Ladysmom says, it is probably for the best because you want a breeder who you can enjoy dealing with for the lifetime of your baby and who will provide you with a healthy puppy. I agree with all the other posters' negative impressions of this breeder.

EDIT: I went to her site again. At the bottom in tiny print she says, "We are packing up to go to our Winter home in the beautiful Ozark Mountains of Arkansas! My son will remain here at the house so puppies can still be picked up here, we are all looking forward to this winter get away without the harsh winter to deal with this year!!"

So she says dogs can still be picked up there.... if they indeed can't be, that sounds like a legal "out" to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.