Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a job and I am two weeks away from starting my teaching job again. I did not want to go back to teaching. I spent tons of money on a degree and credential that I can't use. I have applied over and over again to no avail. I have gotten 4.0's at school for years and I have a great resume. I am greatful that I have the job I do have, but I need the extra money a new job could give me.

I am feeling hopeless and frustrated. The cost of living is rising, and I need more money. Not just "like more money" but NEED more money.

I am hoping to look back on this soon with a new administrative job and say, Ha!, what a silly fool.

I needed to vent and I am feeling lost. My bf is pissed and upset because he too was expecting me to get a job soon...I feel like I am letting him down, and I feel stupid. He keeps telling me I am not looking in the right places, but I have been looking everywhere. He told me to look in the newspaper...nope, nothing there. I have this pathetic feeling of hopelessness in the pit of my stomach that I can't shake. Then I'll be paying up the you know what for this next degree I am getting. I feel stupid for that too...

Ugh.

~Elegant

·
Registered
122 Posts
darlin' please don't worry....everything happens for a reason, what probably is happening is there is perfect job for you but it's not up yet, thus you must be without a job untill this one finds you or you find it. You don't want to be stuck with a poopy job just because you needed one and you stopped looking (because you had a job) and missed the opportunity to get the job you really wanted. Did that make sense? The universe will conspire with you!!! :D

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Have you considered working with an agency? Here in Raleigh, North Carolina, most large companies deal with agencies rather than posting an ad, etc. The employer pays the fee so you have nothing to lose.

I certainly understand your depression. This economy is awful. Everything has gone up and continues to do so. I just heard that our heating costs are estimated to go up 20% this winter. Ouch!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I know it's hard especially when you have added pressures placed on you....try to keep your spirits up. Are you working in a public district? Maybe you can ask to meet with the superintendent of schools. Sometimes the best jobs are those that you create...what I mean here is that maybe you can go to your boss with a list of what is wrong and how you would fix it. Also, be willing to take on new responsibilities that, while they might not pay you more in your current job, might look really great on your resume. I am sure that you've exhausted all your regular paths, and I know that is frustrating. Networking is also key...go to conferences (even on the weekends) ask your employer if you can participate in special training classes, and ask the parents in your class...you never know who has a contact where.

I do have one other bit of advice, and please don't take this the wrong way because it is not my intention to upset you...your boyfriend should not be putting pressure on you regarding a job. His comment about not looking in the right places is obviously causing you to become upset. Speak to him honestly and tell him that those kind of comments only make the situation worse. I have full confidence you will find the right position...and remember you may not get there overnight, but you will get there. You might have to do it in stages by taking jobs with promotion potential. And probably the best advice...never turn down a job that hasn't been offered. Translated to mean apply for every position and go on every interview...then decide if that job is for you. I can't tell you how many times I have interviewed people for one position only to hire them in another capacity. It happens all the time.

Good luck to you and I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh Elegant...

I heard you, and I understand your situation so well, I am in the same boat, it is so frustrating.

Dont get discourage, we are going to find something you'll see, keep your chin up (spell?) and you will see the right job will come.

I dont think if this will help you or not but I just wanted to let you know
YOU ARE NOT ALONE

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
You're looking in the education field, right? Don't the school boards have human resource offices that do the hiring for the school system? I assume you have applied with all of them? What about private schools? Have you sent them your resume and then followed up? The sad thing is that most schools probably have all of their hiring in place for the 2005-2006 school year since school is about to start.

I hate to say it but it may be best to go ahead with the teaching job and then start now looking for a job for next year. Can you do some tutoring on the side to bring in some extra money for this year? Tutors seem to make big bucks per hour.....

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Hey Elegant! Don't get down on yourself. You know I am in that same boat. I feel for you. I went to college, got a degree in something and then went back for my teaching degree. I am very well qualified for a job, but it just isn't happening. I would love to go back to school for my masters, but I feel like you--silly to spend more money when I am not doing what I went to school for.

I don't know if you feel like me in this regard, but while I was in school, there were others in my class who had no idea what was going on and just didn't "get it" and there I was, I totally "got it" and some of those people got teaching jobs! I can't figure out why they got the job over me? You know? Seriously, one guy asked if it is okay to hang posters on the window. The teacher just looked at him and was like, "When it is your classroom, you can do whatever you want." He got a job! Of course I comfort myself with the fact that he only got the job because he is a man.

Did anyone happen to see that article in Reader's Digest about how something like 10% of teachers are doing more harm than good. Oh and there was another statistic in there about Illinois teacher that have to take three state exams in order to get your teaching license. It went on to say that something like 20% of the Illinois teachers had failed it more than once. Okay, let me complain that I managed to pass all three tests on the first try and that doesn't seem to matter. I just keep thinking about those teachers that do more harm than good and I know I am conscientious and would do my job to the best of my ability.

Anyway, I didn't mean to complain about my problems in your thread, I just wanted to let you know that I understand and don't get down, I believe that things happen for a reason. I believe that for myself as well, so that is why as much as I would love to have a teaching job, it just hasn't happened yet and I am okay with it.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm so sorry that you are down, Elegant. I really hope that things will work out for you and SOON. Try to stay positive and take care of yourself.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Jolie@Aug 22 2005, 03:21 PM
darlin' please don't worry....everything happens for a reason,
this was exactly what i was thinking before i even read any replies, more often than not we dont understand why things "dont work out" and often miss the fact that they actually are, i think something great will happen for you

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your situation and how frustrated you must be. Finding a good job is so difficult. Please hang in there. My support is with you.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Joe+Aug 22 2005, 04:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jolie
@Aug 22 2005, 03:21 PM
darlin' please don't worry....everything happens for a reason,
this was exactly what i was thinking before i even read any replies, more often than not we dont understand why things "dont work out" and often miss the fact that they actually are, i think something great will happen for you

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93118
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, it will happen when it is suppose to happen. I know it is hard to find a new job in any country right now. Things are just really hard. Just keep your current education current by co-op, volunteer work or even contract part time. That way you never loose the skills you learned. If you don't have the time to search while working the agencies are really good for that. I signed up with 6 of them. That way I always had a job lined up. Have you tried going through the phone book, if your thinking of changing your career. As the person mentioned earlier they do not always post there positions in the news paper. What I did when I graduated was send out resumes every week to one page in the phone book directories. For the companies I really wanted to get into I sent them a résumé every two months. I got a lot of interviews that way. Again thing happen when they are suppose to. Do not get discouraged . Just keep doing what you are currently doing and don't let anyone bring you down or stop you from obtaining your goal. Best wishes.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Elegant,

I am sorry!! I don't have any advice but I can certainly understand how you feel. And trust me, I most certainly understand about the money part. We are living check to check and that is with my loan money!

I agree with saltymalty about the boyfriend comments. You certainly shouldn't be feeling pressure from him about getting a job. Feel free to vent anytime. You definitely have the right to.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Also, you definitely shouldn't feel stupid. You have done amazingly well in school. I think its completely random who gets the job and who you know seems to be make the difference in any field. I think its completely wrong -- whatever happened to getting the job based on merit?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 22 2005, 02:24 PM
Have you considered working with an agency? Here in Raleigh, North Carolina, most large companies deal with agencies rather than posting an ad, etc. The employer pays the fee so you have nothing to lose.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93097
[/QUOTE]
I don't know about California, but here in Illinois, schools don't go through agencies, it is more of a net working procedure as to getting a teaching job. Therefore it makes it so hard to even get your foot in the door.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Keep your chin up....maybe this is one of those "unanswered prayers" moments. -_- It will all work out! Big hugs to ya!!

PS: Regarding the boyfriend attitude....

Do you have a ring on your finger?
If not, I would tell him to "back off"....is he gonna try to get your hard earned money?
It sounds like you have done all you can do within your power. The right opportunity will come along. Ignore his comments. That is my advice...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Aug 22 2005, 06:09 PM
PS: Regarding the boyfriend attitude....

Do you have a ring on your finger?
If not, I would tell him to "back off"....is he gonna try to get your hard earned money?
It sounds like you have done all you can do within your power. The right opportunity will come along. Ignore his comments. That is my advice...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93151
[/QUOTE]

Tlunn: I agree with you. And I'll go one step beyond...unless you're married, I think he shouldn't push so hard. I had a friend who was in a similar circumstance. Her boyfriend told her he wouldn't get married unless she got a better job. Needless to say, my friend dumped him and has been married to the most wonderful, understanding man for 14 years. And he earns a very nice living so that she stays home with their two children and has full time help!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't have much to add except to keep your chin up. It took me years to find a halfway decent job. I am currently going to college trying to get that degree. I am 40 years old and sometimes I wonder why I am even trying. I love my job but my boss treats me like I am in first grade but if I was a man doing my job he would be praising me up and down. I know here in Ohio we are losing a lot of jobs, teaching jobs are being cut left and right. Good luck and just keep doing what you have been doing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.