Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread today on how I was worried my malt had another UTI. She was not eating, playing, or coming out of her bed....her urine smelled strange too.
I wanted to begin a seperate thread because I really think my malt gets depression episodes. This afternoon she did a 360 health wise. Her urine does not smell and she was full of energy on 2 walks today. She even ate rice with chicken and watered down broth.
This morning though and even last night she would not come out of her bed for for water and even treats:w00t: She looked blah.
Right now she's destroying one of her stuffed teddy bears:blink: She seems in good spirits. Is it possible she was just feeling sad?

Jenna

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I certainly think they have their moods like we do. Just like us, they have hormone fluctuations and other mild issues. We don't really think too much about it, but they likely sometimes have headaches or a bit of a crampy tummy, or just a little under the weather. I also find if Lola hasn't been out for a decent walk for a couple of days she gets really down, she groans and moans and is a total grump. Then I take her out and she gets the biggest grin on her face. :biggrin:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I certainly think they have their moods like we do. Just like us, they have hormone fluctuations and other mild issues. We don't really think too much about it, but they likely sometimes have headaches or a bit of a crampy tummy, or just a little under the weather. I also find if Lola hasn't been out for a decent walk for a couple of days she gets really down, she groans and moans and is a total grump. Then I take her out and she gets the biggest grin on her face. :biggrin:
YEP:aktion033:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right, we had not been out for a walk all week.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Yes! Oh how Lucy loves to run - she also does these things I call figure eights (I don't know how to explain it any other way) I love to see her hair blowing back while she's running -

She sleeps so much better after a run in the backyard.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I agree that Maltese have moods.
Paris gets cranky when she wants dinner served or very late at night.
Then I can tell it's bedtime.
It is her way of comunicating to me her needs.

Maybe as you mentioned, Vanilla is sad about not going walkies with you.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yes, I'm sure dogs can get depressed, just like humans.

But before assuming that your dog is depressed, I'd rule out any physical illness she may have. A physical condition might be making your baby act depressed.

If it were me, I would take her to the vet, just for peace of mind. I can't imagine that depression would cause her urine to smell funky? Please take her to the vet to see what's going on. Good luck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
To me this sounds more physical because of the urine smell. I would get her urine tested just to make sure she's ok, especially since she's had a bladder infection before and to ease your mind too.

Do you notice these moods happening after exposure to any chemicals (house cleaners, pesticides, air fresheners, candle burning, perfumes in personal body care, toys/treats from China).
Chemicals wreak havoc with hormones which impact mood and energy levels. Just something to consider.

I hope all your baby needs is some fresh air and sunshine.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts