Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking Paris to Dallas tomorrow morning for her dermatology appointment. Please keep us in your prayers. Hopefully he will be able to determine what is making her scratch and itch so bad and will be able to give her some relief. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Buster and I are praying for you and Paris, poor baby, hopefully they can get to the bottom of the problem and she will start feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good luck! I hope they find something that helps!

I havent been following much around here, so forgive me if I missed this already, but what is Paris eating? My health food store owner said that his dog had terrible skin, itching and scratching herself raw until they found out what food she was allergic to. That is why he opened the health food for pets store. Maybe this is what the dermatologist is going to check for? Hope you get your answers!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Good luck! I hope that this vet can get to the bottom of Paris' itchies. My Lady has allergies, although not nearly has severe as poor Paris' sound, and it's no fun!

You may want to ask this vet about adding fish oil if you don't already. My vet suggested it for Lady's allergies an it has made a big difference. I really noticed a huge improvement this Spring in her inhaled allergies after getting 3V caps for a year.

A co-worker's Yorkie had a terrible problem with allergies. Nothing worked so they finally consulted a dermatoligist. Poor Angel tunred out to be allergic to nearly everything, from grasses outside, dust inside and about every food imaginable! They put her on twice weekly allergy shots and it has made a huge difference.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 29 2005, 11:50 AM
I havent been following much around here, so forgive me if I missed this already, but what is Paris eating?

Right now she is eating California Natural Lamb & Rice. When I got her the vet suggested I start her on Science Diet Small Bites (I think that was the name). About a month later all the scratching and itching started. He then switched her to Hill's z/d. She was on that from January until mid-May (until I got smart...about ingredients, anyway). She has been on California Natural since. There hasn't really been any difference as far as her scratching and so on between the foods. From what I've been told and read, she is pretty young to have already developed food allergies. Hopefully, I will find out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
One of the #1 ingredients in Science Diet Small Bites is corn, was is one of the top 3 allergy causing foods in dogs. I am surprised your vet recommended it, but not surprised that was when her allergies started.

It's high fiber and I feed it to Lady because of her diabetes for awhile, but she also developed an allergy to it.

Sometimes they can be allergic to the protein source. Lamb used to be considered a good choice for allergic dogs, but it is so common now that dogs have developed allergies to it. A neighbor's allergic Westie eats a Kangaroo-based food!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie does the licking of the legs and biting at his nails... but what is a mother to do when hes supposed to stay on hill's l/d because of his liver problem?!? I think he might be allergic to the food.. but what are my other choices to feed?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
A while back I posted something about Rice and allergies. Why don't you try a food without rice and see what happens. You never know.
Here it is again :

Question :
The Maltese dog named Dixie mentioned in a previous column licks and bites on her paws.
We have a bichon frise, Judley, who did the same thing, as well as scratch himself until he would bleed. We too, had medicated him, until one day I had a conversation with a neighbor who owned a Maltese. She mentioned that she took her dog off any kind of rice and that this cleared up her dog's problem. She said that white-haired dogs often are sensitive to certain foods, rice being one of them. Having nothing to lose, we tried it - and it worked! Until rice is out of the dog's diet for two or three weeks, you won't notice much change.

Answer :

Thanks for the information. I hope readers will take it to heart, because the most frequently raised health issue by my readers is dogs who are scratching, itching, licking and chewing themselves to pieces.
Veterinarians who simply treat these symptoms of food allergy/hypersensitivity (often compounded by other problems) with a prescription of cortisone/prednisone should go back to school, or at least read the veterinary literature. Not all dogs (or cats) are allergic to rice or other processed pet food ingredients. Nor are all itchy skin problems in dogs caused by an allergic reaction to certain foods. Good diagnostic detective work is necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
A co-worker's Yorkie had a terrible problem with allergies. Nothing worked so they finally consulted a dermatoligist. Poor Angel tunred out to be allergic to nearly everything, from grasses outside, dust inside and about every food imaginable! They put her on twice weekly allergy shots and it has made a huge difference.[/B]
That was my late lhasa too. I hope those allergy shots are not prednisone or something related to it. I too went to a dermatologist. We even tried to de-sensitize him with daily shots. Instead of getting better it got worse. From 2 years old to the time we had him put down he was on prednisone. I am sure he got diabetic from the prednisone destroying his liver.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 29 2005, 04:05 PM
Kodie does the licking of the legs and biting at his nails... but what is a mother to do when hes supposed to stay on hill's l/d because of his liver problem?!?  I think he might be allergic to the food.. but what are my other choices to feed?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76323
[/QUOTE]

Most dogs do not have food allergies but inhalent allergies. You can do home cooked for him. The Maltese MVD diet is considered hypoallergenic. Call Cornell to see if that is an appropriate option for Kodie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts