Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a groomer today with Quincy for a nail trim and one of the groomers brought out this nightmare looking dog to potty. I thought it was a very sick Irish Wolfhound or Deerhound. It was smaller than one of those, but with a sick yellow-y peach-y white patchy frizzled coat, a roached back, horrible bite, sideways kind of gait, and ugly lanky legs. It was sad looking---I asked her what was wrong with the poor thing (naively thinking it was near its end), and found out it was a "Labradoodle" and only 18 months old! And the owners left it at the groomers two weeks ago to find another home, cause their son was allergic to it. Wasn't hypoallergenic the whole reason labs were first bred to poodles? I felt so sorry for the poor ugly thing--finding out he was abandoned on top of his bad mix of genes made me want to take him home. Too bad HIS picture wasn't on one of those Labradoodle sites, that would make people think twice about mixing breeds!
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I just read an article about them in USAToday. They are very expensive and highly sought after. From your description I don't really understand why so many people want them....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 26 2004, 09:06 PM
I just read an article about them in USAToday.  They are very expensive and highly sought after.  From your description I don't really understand why so many people want them....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18688
[/QUOTE]

The latest fashion, I suppose. Everything these days is a doodle, poo, or puggle. (and with a high price tag, too) And I have come across lots of Maltese mixes, expecially Yorkie-Maltese. My mom has one and it must have the worst genes of both Malt and Yorkie. Not a cute pup at all and a really bad temperament--not like a Maltese at all. Very yippy and hyper. Ugly coat too, and has the yorkie odor to it. I did meet a very sweet Shih tzu-Maltese mix, but it wasn't very attractive to me either. But I am partial to our Maltese.
Quincymom

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
A colleague at work has a Golden Doodle... cross between Golden Retiever and Poodle. It is white-ish in color with somewhat curly hair. Very huge. Seems to be a really sweet dog.

V

·
0 Posts
Though I am not advocating mixing breeds...I know a black labradoodle who is very beautiful, has a great temperment. My son's Portie and this dog play in the park together often.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My aunt and uncle just got a Schnauzer/Poodle mix from a pet store. I had talked to them the weekend before and they were thinking of getting a dog. I guess they went to the pet store on Friday and saw the dog. They liked how it looked and decided to get it. I was so shocked. I didn't even know the dang store was in business still. It was only 8 weeks old when they got it. So far no problems, but they have only had it 2 weeks.

This weekend my aunt was asking me about potty training. She said she was getting frustrated because the dog wasn't potty trained yet. She has only had it for 2 weeks! Plus the puppy is only 10 weeks old!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don't know about some of these "designer mixes"...I think I read somewhere that unless you are breeding a mix of dogs to develop a new breed, all these animals are is mutts. I have a friend who has a labradoodle that doesn't really look like a poodle. It basically looks like a lab with curly long hair. Its big and it was very expensive. She paid $1500 for her. Personally, I'd rather have a Maltese at that price! As far as being hypoallergenic, there is no such thing. I recently found out that I am allergic to dogs (among other a host of other things) and the allergist told me that the larger the dog, the more dander. The smaller the dog the less dander. She also said that certain breeds are known for skin problems...like Goldens. Others, like poodles, maltese and bichons don't tend to have skin issues and therefore are more easily tolerated. Personally, I'm going to start shots next week and I am on a steriod treatment for my asthma. Fortunately, I found all this out the week before Valletta came home. She hasn't caused me too much discomfort. I purchased 6 Ionic Breezes from Bed Bath & Beyond (the sales girl let me use my 20% coupon because I was buying so many). They are really great and I am amazed at how much dust they capture. The house smells really fresh, and you would never know that I have three kids and a dog. But more than that, they really help me at night when my asthma tends to be worse. How did I get from labradoodles to Ionic breeze???? Puppy is napping

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 29 2004, 12:10 PM
I don't know about some of these "designer mixes"...I think I read somewhere that unless you are breeding a mix of dogs to develop a new breed, all these animals are is mutts.  I have a friend who has a labradoodle that doesn't really look like a poodle.  It basically looks like a lab with curly long hair.  Its big and it was very expensive.  She paid $1500 for her.  Personally, I'd rather have a Maltese at that price!  As far as being hypoallergenic, there is no such thing.  I recently found out that I am allergic to dogs (among other a host of other things) and the allergist told me that the larger the dog, the more dander.  The smaller the dog the less dander.  She also said that certain breeds are known for skin problems...like Goldens.  Others, like poodles, maltese and bichons don't tend to have skin issues and therefore are more easily tolerated.  Personally, I'm going to start shots next week and I am on a steriod treatment for my asthma.  Fortunately, I found all this out the week before Valletta came home.  She hasn't caused me too much discomfort.  I purchased 6 Ionic Breezes from Bed Bath & Beyond (the sales girl let me use my 20% coupon because I was buying so many).  They are really great and I am amazed at how much dust they capture.  The house smells really fresh, and you would never know that I have three kids and a dog.  But more than that, they really help me at night when my asthma tends to be worse.  How did I get from labradoodles to Ionic breeze????  Puppy is napping

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19213
[/QUOTE]

FYI: They have shampoo for dogs that is supposed to help with the pet dander. I think you get it from the vet. You could try that.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 29 2004, 01:10 PM
  I purchased 6 Ionic Breezes from Bed Bath & Beyond (the sales girl let me use my 20% coupon because I was buying so many).  They are really great and I am amazed at how much dust they capture.  The house smells really fresh, and you would never know that I have three kids and a dog.  But more than that, they really help me at night when my asthma tends to be worse.  How did I get from labradoodles to Ionic breeze????  Puppy is napping

[/QUOTE]

Hope it's OK to get a little off topic here... Is this the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze? I've been thinking of getting an air purifier but I'm confused about which one to get................

·
Registered
162 Posts
Until i went to my sister-in-law's and was around her tiny puppy, i had forgotten how allergic to dogs i am. Of course i got all itchy and stuffy and could barely breathe. It made me realize how glad i am that i'm not allergic to Coco one bit.
What a blessing these little pups are! I never thought i'd be able to have an inside dog, ever.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 29 2004, 01:28 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Nov 29 2004, 01:10 PM
  I purchased 6 Ionic Breezes from Bed Bath & Beyond (the sales girl let me use my 20% coupon because I was buying so many).  They are really great and I am amazed at how much dust they capture.  The house smells really fresh, and you would never know that I have three kids and a dog.  But more than that, they really help me at night when my asthma tends to be worse.  How did I get from labradoodles to Ionic breeze????  Puppy is napping

Hope it's OK to get a little off topic here... Is this the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze? I've been thinking of getting an air purifier but I'm confused about which one to get................
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19220
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes. I got the Sharper Image Ionic 3.0 (BB&B had them buy one get one 1/2 price). I also got the Sharper Image Ionic Quadra (also at BB&B), but that one went back because I saw no difference between the two except for the larger price tag. The 3.0 covers about 375 sq ft and the Quadra 500 sq ft. I have a 3.0 in each room (family, living, kitchen, master bedroom,playroom, and upstairs hall).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 29 2004, 01:52 PM
Yes.  I got the Sharper Image Ionic 3.0 (BB&B had them buy one get one 1/2 price).  I also got the Sharper Image Ionic Quadra (also at BB&B), but that one went back because I saw no difference between the two except for the larger price tag.  The 3.0 covers about 375 sq ft and the Quadra 500 sq ft.  I have a 3.0 in each room (family, living, kitchen, master bedroom,playroom, and upstairs hall).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19229
[/QUOTE]

is there any good air purifer thats less than 100 dollars?? it can be a small one just for my bedroom..

i checked the Sharper Image Ionic on the bed bathbeyond website and its $250 !

out of my budget for now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts