Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while looking through the nextdaypets website I saw an add the said this maltapoo was reg by this org.

I think this designer dog thing is getting out of hand. I dont believe in a person spending that kind of money on a mix. Is there anything we can do to stop this. I mean look at the list of breed they rec.

http://www.achclub.com/modules.php?name=Breeders

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
oh. my. god.

i cant even form complete sentences about this one. not coherent ones, at least. and certainly not ones appropriate for a family show like this forum...

ann marie and the "hey i can make up new words too!" buttercup
(or i guess, by that "hybrid club" we would be "annmacup"...)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think it would just be easier to say the full two names of the breeds than have to remember those silly hybrid names...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Sep 18 2005, 04:44 PM
The first one of you that refers to Boom as a  Pomanees  is in lots o trouble! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100808
[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOL he is just darn cute. i love LOVE his ears!!!! my mom said "if buttercup only had ears like that, maybe she would hear you when you say things like 'stop' or 'can you please just stop being weird?'..." instead, she "doesnt hear us" because her "ears are closed"...uh huh. that's it. right mom.
Boom is so cute, I'd never call him one of those lame names.

but you can still call us "annmacup".

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou+Sep 18 2005, 05:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NewMom328
@Sep 18 2005, 04:11 PM
I think it would just be easier to say the full two names of the breeds than have to remember those silly hybrid names...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100802

How about we just call all of them what they really are: MUTT.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100815
[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe - but almost all dogs were Mutts at one time or another. I do think some of this is getting out of control, but I have no issues at all with new breed creation if they produce, strong, healthy, nice dogs. Then you could get the best of both breeds in one dog. I think Morkies are very cute!! I saw one which was an accidental breeding of a champion yorkie and a champion Maltese - it was absolutely beautiful!
I think thoughtful, careful cross breeding of quality dogs, could, in the right hands, be beneficial in the long run and cut down on inbreeding. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't mind the breeding but the cost people are paying! If people want one of those dogs I can't do anything about it but I do have to wonder why they would pay the money for a dog that is not a pure breed.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Vikki and Audrey+Sep 18 2005, 07:01 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NewMom328
@Sep 18 2005, 04:11 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100802

How about we just call all of them what they really are: MUTT.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100815

[/QUOTE]

Maybe - but almost all dogs were Mutts at one time or another. I do think some of this is getting out of control, but I have no issues at all with new breed creation if they produce, strong, healthy, nice dogs. Then you could get the best of both breeds in one dog. I think Morkies are very cute!! I saw one which was an accidental breeding of a champion yorkie and a champion Maltese - it was absolutely beautiful!
I think thoughtful, careful cross breeding of quality dogs, could, in the right hands, be beneficial in the long run and cut down on inbreeding. Just my 2 cents.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100862
[/B][/QUOTE]

That is so true, and I didn't mean to insult anyone's dog. In my lifetime, I've had a few that were mixes. I've never paid a penny for one of them though. My children grew up with a Schnauzer/Poodle mix that was a result of an accident. The dog was given to me. So was the Australian/Border Collie I had for five wonderful years, until she was taken from me. Janie, one of my rescues is a Golden Retriever/Irish Setter Mix. I wouldn't take anything for having the experience of having them, but I wouldn't support the people who raise these mixes for the purpose of making money on them.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane+Sep 18 2005, 07:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Boom Boom's Mom
@Sep 18 2005, 04:44 PM
The first one of you that refers to Boom as a  Pomanees  is in lots o trouble!  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100808
I wouldn't dare !

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100892
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think we can all agree that the appropriate name for Boom Boom is "A Real Doll".
If you had not told us different, I would think he was part Westie, as he has a look to him like my Westie girl (who thinks she is a Maltese).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
There's a sucker born every minute!

I love mixed breed dogs. My Petie was an "almost a Golden" from the SPCA. He looked just like a Golden puppy because he was only 35-40 pounds. My daughter has an "almost a black lab" from the shelter and Mutley is the most handsome, wonderful dog you can imagine. He is fabulous with my granddaughter.

Adopting a mixed breed form the shelter is a wonderful thing to do and you will get a fabulous dog that will probably be much healthier than a purebred dog.

But if you love the characteristics of a particular breed, then a purebred dog is certainly worth the money.

But to spend money on a "designer" dog, the result of an unsrupulous person throwing two breeds together to make money is just plain foolish. Purebred dogs have certain characteristics because careful breeders have paintakingly bred to produce these traits for generations. Even recognized breeds can have some odd members as a result of unscrupulous breeders. Look at all the huge curly coated Maltese out there, still AKC registered, but obviously not bred to standard.

An acquaintance got a Labradoodle and paid several thousand dollars for it, thinking she was getting a non-shedding dog. Well, the dog got its coat from its "labra" part and sheds like crazy!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I defintely agree with the part about much of the breeding being just for the $$$$s, but I don't think that applies much more to 'designer dogs' than any other. There are horribly money driven pure bred breeders also - look at all the pure breds who get sold to pet shops from puppymills.

If I really loved the look of of a puppy or thought that a particular mix would be good for us, I would pay for one if I knew both parents were healthy, good specimins of their own breed.

What I find particularly crazy is people paying upwards of $4000 for a non champion sired pup, because it's hopefully going to stay under 3 lbs.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree. More suckers.....!

Actually, it's really sad. Those super tiny dogs bred to be below the standard size have so many health problems. They often can't even regulate their own body temperature or blood sugar. And their life expectancy is poor as with human dwarfs. I have read that often people just find them dead at only 2 or 3 years old.

This is an excellent article on designer mutts you might be interested in.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/NoPuppyMills...gner_mutts.html

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm not a fan of paying for a mix breed. I didn't pay for Boom, but lemme tell you I'd buy another just like him. He's just the sweetest thing. But I'm thinking my next dog will either be a malt that the breeder thinks will get larger or a dog along the lines of a Havanese. Boom's a bit too big for a 6 pound dog.

LucyLou- I have had people argue with me that Boom looks westie. Really once you get to play with him and are close to him he really doesn't look westie. Part of it is the hair cut.

Annmacup, the ears may be cute, but they still don't stop ear infections. I just cut his hair again, I should post pics of his face so you can see his new facial do.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The best dog I have had was an almost pure black lab. He was the most gentlest dog and when you have children that is very important. I love Lacey but I can tell you with her personality she would not be good with children. When my grandaughter (16 months) comes over I am constantly watching and always worried. Lacey gets so nervous around her. Trying to teach a 16 month old to be gentle is alot of work. Now that my grandaughter is up and running I have not had her stay the night with me for about a month. The last time Lacey was just a nervous wreak and when my grandaughter went home on Sunday Lacey just fell into a deep sleep next to me on the couch.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My grandaughter is only 9 months so it hasn't been an issue so far, but it won't be long before it is. Sarah is used to huge Mutley who believes he is her guardian. Labs are so wonderful with children. He will alert her mom and dad if Sarah is crying and even jumped the gate once when they didn't go to her fast enough! They found him lying beside her crib, rolling his eyes in anguish over their bad parenting!

Lady doesn't even like the sound of Sarah anymore. All her toys make TERRIBLE SCARY noises and she just hides or wants to sit on my lap. Of course, that's another problem because I have Sarah on my lap a lot! Talk about rolling eyes!

When my kids were little and we were ready to get a puppy, I asked my vet what breed was best. He told me that the best dog for kids was a mixed breed and the bigger the better! That's when we got Petie, my first "mutt", and was the absolute best dog we could have chosen to raise with children.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 19 2005, 08:15 AM
There's a sucker born every minute!

I love mixed breed dogs. My Petie was an "almost a Golden" from the SPCA. He looked just like a Golden puppy because he was only 35-40 pounds. My daughter has an "almost a black lab" from the shelter and Mutley is the most handsome, wonderful dog you can imagine. He is fabulous with my granddaughter.

Adopting a mixed breed form the shelter is a wonderful thing to do and you will get a fabulous dog that will probably be much healthier than a purebred dog.

But if you love the characteristics of a particular breed, then a purebred dog is certainly worth the money.

But to spend money on a "designer" dog, the result of an unsrupulous person throwing two breeds together to make money is just plain foolish. Purebred dogs have certain characteristics because careful breeders have paintakingly bred to produce these traits for generations. Even recognized breeds can have some odd members as a result of unscrupulous breeders. Look at all the huge curly coated Maltese out there, still AKC registered, but obviously not bred to standard.

An acquaintance got a Labradoodle and paid several thousand dollars for it, thinking she was getting a non-shedding dog. Well, the dog got its coat from its "labra" part and sheds like crazy!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100959
[/QUOTE]

I've pulled three Labs from shelters in the last couple years. All these dogs were released to me without being spayed first. True, this is because I'm known in rescue, and the people knew I would pay to have it done, which I did as soon as I could after they got here, but, if I had been unethical, I could have obtained a poodle (those can be found through rescue too), and I could have been in the Labradoodle business. I hear stories on my rescue sites where people try to do this all the time. These folks are breeding dogs from unknown origin to get dogs for sale at these high prices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts