Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SeRi got spayed last wednesday and she did really well and is already back to usual mischief by the 2nd day :chili: my vet said she can't be bathe for the next 10 days but seriously, that's a long long time . .I remember bathing my yorkies earlier than the 10 day period but with SeRi having so much hair, she is starting to matt pretty bad :blush: Seriously, what is the earliest I can bathe her . . . 10 days is way to long I think :smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I'd spray a Self Rinse product like Pro Line on her as you brush to keep the dust and dirt level down. I don't think I would bathe her under a week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i know it may seem like a long time to wait..but i think it is worth it to be safe. It i going to take a while to get the knots out but at least you risk having to take her back to the vet for any problems =/

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I usually wait 7 days before bathing (I always bathe them the night before the spay/neuter) and as long as the incision site looks like it's healing properly it should be fine. Try and keep the incision as dry as possible during her bath and I never let shampoo or anything near it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I just know that SeRi will be fine for the 10 day waiting period. Just keep her face and paws washed. There are a lot of nice products out there that keep the coat clean and smelling nice that you just spray on if you feel she needs a little sprucing up with "NO water." :thumbsup:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes wait the 2 weeks, do not bathe as there are stitches and if they get wet they will open and you don't want that as per what the vet told me. Brush daily. I did not bathe him till I went back to the vet 2 weeks later to make sure and he was fully healed. I had him done on July 1st. Don't be tempted...the time flies by not to worry..Smiles Lynda

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I'd say to follow the vet's advice. One pet might not heal as well as another. One of my females messed with her stitches and incision and it took quite a while for it to heal. Better to have messy fur than have the incision not heal properly or, heaven forbid, get infected.

(One of my dogs got a post-operative infection after orthopedic surgery, and it may have had somethig to do with his getting a partial bath by a kennel attendant after he messed in his cage .... The result was awful. But that's a somewhat different circumstance. ....)

Have I scared you enough? ;)

Seriously, I would follow the vet's advice and not bathe her for the amount of time the vet says. If her face gets really messy, you could probably wash that with a cloth. Otherwise, I agree with the recommendations of brushing and using a spray-on product.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone for all your wonderful advise . . .I guess better safe than sorry as I don't want anything happening to my baby girl . . .I do have the no rinse shampoo and I finally washed her face down yesterday and she was not happy . .of course nothing ike bathing but I will be a good mommy and be patient :wub:

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
We hung in there for 10 days. It's hard but I didn't want any setbacks. Actually now that I think of it Tyler had a ton of butt baths during that week because he had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and had diarrhea for 6 days. :w00t::w00t: I had no choice obviously but really just concentrated on the tush section and used a wash cloth.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
You have received good advice here. I bathed mine right before surgery. I think my vet said 7-10 days. She uses a lazer so there were no stitches and my Lily's incision was completely healed on the outside in less than 7 days. They heal faster with laser surgery....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.