Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone can shred any light on this. I cut Lacey's dew claws nail every week. Never have had a problem. When I went to trim the nail she was fine on the right leg but on the left leg the nail is gone. The skin is still there, just no nail. I looked very carefully and she is not hurt in anyway, no blood and the place were the nail should be has no cut or sore on it. She isn't licking the area and she isn't limping. I just can't figure out were this nail went. She has no problem with me touching the area. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
That is very unusual and I would say if her dew claw has been ripped out it would have bled considerably so that would have been obvious. I am sure it would have been very painful too. It certainly is a mystery. I would take her to the vet and have them take a look just in case, perhaps it just wasn't getting a blood supply and simply dropped off. Very strange.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all. I took Lacey to the vet, not for the dew claw but because she tested positive for worms a month ago and I wanted her retested after her medication. Vet took a look and she couldn't find anything. She thought maybe it ripped off but could not find anything sore. Nothing sensitive. Her leg is in good shape. She thought maybe she never had a nail. It is a mystery. I had a black lab that had dew claws and he ripped his nail off when he was outside playing. When I was looking for a maltese I asked about the dew claws and was told that maltese keep theirs. I would have prefered her not to have them...all that hair and they are hard to find to clip them. So for now it will remain a mystery. I will keep checking to make sure she is okay. Oh, and she does not have worms. When she was at the vets I forgot to take a stool sample with us. Lacey pooped outside the vets office so I went outside and got. The sample tested positive. I had them retest her by taking another sample and that sample tested negative. So to be on the safe side I had her retested. This time it came back negative.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Tic had a long drawn out round worm situation a couple of months back. Just to let you know, I was told that the fecal float test is only like 90% accurate. I handed them a whole piece of poo in a baggie that had a worm in it and Tic still tested negative
I'm still confused at what the tech said to me, but I guess the fecal float tests for worm eggs and he didnt' have any worm eggs even though there was a grown worm or something like that. Glad she tested negative though
That's really weird about her dew claw. I wish the boys had them removed

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I think I will have her tested again in another month. I had both of my cats tested too and they both came back negative. All of the babies are inside. Cats have never ran outside and Lacey is an inside girl. Haven't even had her in the park because of the coyotes. Been too hot outside to even go outside and play. So the vet thinks maybe the sample I got from outside maybe wasn't hers. But for $20.00 (the cost of the test) I would rather be on the safe side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts