Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Maltese not have dew claws? Lizzie is now 7 months old and she doesn't have any, but it feels hard where they should be. Are they gonna grow in or something??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Some breeders remove dew claws while others don't. Rear dew claws have been bred out of maltese mostly...but my Cookie does have rear dew claws.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yes. I wish my breeder had Beastie's removed, because it's something you need to be careful with...especially if it gets caught on something.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder why they remove them. Anybody know?

I also wonder what they are used for -- or what they were used for before dogs were domesticated.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Apr 12 2005, 01:47 AM
Wonder why they remove them. Anybody know?

I also wonder what they are used for -- or what they were used for before dogs were domesticated.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51722
[/QUOTE]

I think they remove them because they can get caught in things and hurt the puppy badly. but I'm not really sure. My fist maltese did not have them.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
They are removed to prevent them from getting caught and ripped.

In some herding breeds, the dogs actually use them for turning and they are left on...most retrievers and field dogs have them removed so they don't get caught. Personally, I would love to never clip another dew claw LOL

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Don't some breed standards require the removal of the dew claw? Maltese doesn't. Our puppy has her dew claws. When I asked the vet, she said that they are different on different dogs. In malts the dew claw is "attached" and more like a regular digit or "finger/toe". If it is removed within the first few days, the connective structure of the claw hasn't completely formed. If you wait for later removal, it's like cutting off a finger or toe. She likened it to de-clawing a cat. Our puppy's dew claws do feel like her regular claws, they aren't floppy at all. I just make sure to trim them often. The nail on them is much thinner and easier to clip back. But you do have to make sure not to hit the quick, otherwise it will bleed and be painful...think about how your nails feel when they are clipped too short.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jellybn, it's that "fingernail" just between their elbow and foot. It's kinda like a thumb, of sorts. Your Malt might not have one. If you have access to another dog, touch its ankle area until you feel a nail sticking out.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I never knew about dew claws. When I found them on Cookie, I freaked out and thought it was some growth. Silly me, rushed her to the vet to have it examined. I felt so stupid!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I wish I could get Little C's removed. They are extremely curly and very difficult to cut. They are short short short, and yet, they are still practically growing into her legs. I can't cut them any shorter because of the quick. It actually DOES hurt her every time I cut them...it's hard to get a hold of them to clip them. Sir N's are curly, too, but they don't curl immediately like Little C's do, so they are easy to cut.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have the same problem with daezie and maya's dew claws. They don't like when I have to cut them. They put up a fight
at the end of our session I give them a treat and lots of hugs and kisses xoxoxox

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sprite and ellie didnt have them.

and gruffi had front dew claws...and i got them removed when he was 5 months old...when he got neutered.

i really dont like dew claws. i hate that they can get hurt.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I never knew about dew claws. When I found them on Cookie, I freaked out and thought it was some growth. Silly me, rushed her to the vet to have it examined. I felt so stupid![/B]
:lol: :lol: I did the same thing!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts