Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
The presence or lack of dew claws is not part of the breed standard per se. Malts are born with front dew claws but I believe the back ones were bred out of them long ago. Most of the show breeders that I know have the dew claws removed when the pups are only a few days old...but I also know of some who do leave the dew claws on the pups. I think it is a personal preference of the breeder.

· Registered
238 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Jun 8 2005, 11:41 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mousern
@Jun 8 2005, 01:38 PM
Deni will be spayed and have her dewclaws removed at the same time on Friday (her 6 mos birthday...some birthday present I'm giving her, huh? 
). I'll let you know how it goes since she's an "older" dog. I just find it too hard to trim the dewclaw with all the hair and I've had a couple of bad experiences with my two older dogs who both have their dewclaws still...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70550
I thought once that first few days after being born had passed it was too late to remove the dew claws? Gee, I wish I had known that earlier

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70554
[/B][/QUOTE]

Usually dew claws are removed the first 2 or 3 days after birth because the connective tissue has not developed and all the pups feel is a pinch. I have watched dew claws being removed on some pups and they hardly know anything happened. I have heard that it is a much more painful procedure to do on an older pup....I don't know of anyone who has done it, actually....so please keep us posted how the procedure and recovery goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.