Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Deni will be spayed and have her dewclaws removed at the same time on Friday (her 6 mos birthday...some birthday present I'm giving her, huh?
). I'll let you know how it goes since she's an "older" dog. I just find it too hard to trim the dewclaw with all the hair and I've had a couple of bad experiences with my two older dogs who both have their dewclaws still...

· Registered
186 Posts
Well, it's been two weeks since Deni had her dew claws removed. She's not had any problems and only has a tiny scab left on her right leg. When I compare what I feel with Ally, whose dew claws were removed as a newborn, it seems that Deni has a larger bump where her dewclaw was compared to where Ally's should be. This is most likely due to the difference in ages for the removal. The vet/owner of the clinic (we have 3 docs now) guaranteed me that there would be no regrowth of the dewclaw. He said that the only time that happens is if the job is not done correctly. He even said that on the off chance that it does grow back, they'll redo the surgery for free!

During the healing process the only time Deni really bothered the sites were right after the bandages were removed a week after surgery, mostly from itching under the bandages I think. I feel much better knowing that I don't have to worry about her catching the dewclaw and injuring herself. For me the decision to remove them, as an older pup, was a good one...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.