Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She still has runny poo. She is eating but will not drink water. The vets do not have a clue why she is sick. (the first thing you think of with water is rabies). She had her rabies shot last summer. So she is not due for one till July. She has not been around any other dogs except mine. (all of them had their rabies shots at the same time). None of my other dogs are showing any signs of illness. Any adivice on how to proceed?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Adding fiber often helps firm up poop. Pumpkin is usually good for this. If they won't take it in 'normal form' adding a tiny bit of yogurt often entices them ( makes it almost like ice-cream) Sometimes putting it on waxed paper by the tablespoons full and let it firm up a bit and also a good way to be able to save it for future use.

What medicine did vet give? .. Metronidazole worked wonderfully for Quincy when he had his bout with colitis. ( That and adding WD ( high-fiber prescription food) to his meal.
Did vet do fecal tests? did they do blood panel?

For drinking...sometime adding a bit of tuna water to reg water entices them to drink or even chicken broth. If all that fails you can try what I've done and that is to get a plastic syringe from pharmacy... it doesn't have a needle but used to administer liquid meds. "pull up" water into syringe and pull out on cheek and put a little at a time into the cheek. You may have to do this several times a day but it does get the fluids in.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:Terry I don't leave a choice to Alex to swallow the darn pumpkin. I open his mouth and put a teaspoon full in it. Once in the mouth he cannot do something else than swallow it. If he eats his food, I mix it in the food.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I'd suggest touching bases with your veterinarian.

To me, the fact that she's eating is a good sign. :) But I don't have any training in health, canine or human.

If the vet gave your dog subcutaneous fluids, that might explain lack of thirst for a day. It might be a good idea to measure out how much water you put in her bowl and then measure how much of it she drinks.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i dont have any advice but i will be praying for ur baby to feel better.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If she is not drinking she will get dehydrated. Try to hide water in her food if she is not drinking. I do that. I will give my malt yogourt and add water, I will give her purred veggies and add water, and I will also give her watered down chicken broth mixed with plain cooked rice.
Good Luck I hope your baby is okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts