Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am about to call to make an appt for Phoebe's last of her first shots which is due on Wednesday. I am going to do this at a new vet whom I have heard wonderful things about and I've called once to check out the place and they are really nice. I really hope I like them and I'm very nervous about this switch.

Anyway before I call, the shots she needs as written on her "puppy info sheet" from the breeder says she needs DHLP-P. All of her shots up until now were done by the breeder, so this is my first. I have no idea what this DHLP-P is, but I've read here some things about not giving shots at the same time. Is this one of those times or is that just the rabies shots you dont want to give at the same time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
DHLPP is a combination shot: Distemper, (Canine) Hepatitis, Leptospirosis,
(Canine) Parainfluenza, (Canine) Parvovirus...so you cant break it up. and since she has had it before then she prob doesnt have ne reactions to it. sometimes dogs react to the lepto, but u shouldnt have to worry about it, since she has had it before. did she have her rabies yet?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Maltese can severe reactions to the lepto vaccine, so most Malt owners don't vaccinate against it. It's carried by rodents and usually not given unless the dog lives on a farm and is exposed to rats and vermin.

I'm surprised Tonia recommends it. I was under the impression that most Maltese breeders don't.

You have unfortunately found out something that many of us that breed and show toy dogs know -- leptospirosis in vaccines can be very dangerous for Maltese. I have avoided this for since I started breeding 18 years ago based on the horror stories that exist about lepto.
Bobbie Linden - Bhe-Jei Maltese

A lot of Maltese will have an alergic reaction to Lepto shots, this is why it is advised that Maltese should not receive it at all. I gave Lepto shots to all my dogs for years, then one day my vet told me not to give it. I told him I had never had a reaction, he said, I still think you shouldn't give it, there hasn't been a case of Lepto. in Northern Calif. for over 30 years! Why take a chance? Well, that was over 20 years ago, I haven't given it since. For those of you that don't know, the way dogs are exposed to Lepto is, drinking water or eating food that a mouse or some other animal carring this desease has urinated in, or sniffing a tree where an animal carring this desease has urinated on. With most people that have Maltese, this is not going to ever happen. We don't let our precious babies do these things. (ggg)
-Carole Baldwin- Fantasyland Maltese

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i did learn that they can take the lepto out of the shot b/c half is dry and half is a liquid and the lepto is the liquid i believe and the dry they can dilute with saline so u dont have to have the lepto in the shot..but parker never reacted to it, and aparently ur pup hasnt either.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 3 2005, 02:29 PM
Maltese can severe reactions to the lepto vaccine, so most Malt owners don't vaccinate against it. It's carried by rodents and usually not given unless the dog lives on a farm and is exposed to rats and vermin.
and i was told that i should be concerned of a rodent getting into my house... which could bite kodie and give him rabies. ????
So the rabie vaccine is a MUST... but not a must to vaccine lepto? (you never know if your baby is gonna have a reaction until after the shot is given... soo...)

i'm confused on the difference of importance here...
(lets put the state rabie vaccine law aside and then could you explain this to me, thank you
)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if the law was put aside rabies is least important...lepto isnt important either cause it doesnt vax for all the strains..but there is a new lepto vax out that is better.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tuesday when we took Izzy for her third series of shots, I told the vet that I didn't want the lepto shot. She said "I understand, and we don't give that here anymore" and when I asked about her rabies shot the vet said "I don't want to give that now because she's had her other shot today and besides, you don't want to vacinate for that until after IzzyBella is four or five months old." I said great.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The rabies shot is a law, but vaccinating for lepto is optional.

I knew of the possible reaction from a friend who had Maltese for 25 years, so when I took Lady in for a checkup and her shots the day after I adopted her, that was the first thing I said to my vet when I saw her coming at Lady with the syringe.

Dr. Chessie said the same thing your vet did, Izzy's mom, that they don't vaccinate for lepto anymore because of the possible complications.

FYI, my vets are pretty up-to-date with veterinary protocol, too, since Raleigh is the NC State Vet School (they are grads) is right here.

Here's a link to vaccine protocol for dogs http://www.dvmvac.com/CProtHi.html

It recommends lepto be given to dogs only if

Dog lives outside and is not constrained to a gated kennel.

Dog lives on a farm and has ample outdoor activity.

Dog is regularly allowed to roam freely.

Exclusively outdoors.

Dog is used for hunting or other extended outdoor activity.

Cases of leptospirosis are known to have been confirmed in the area.

Dog has access (supervised or otherwise) to areas inhabited by “reservoir” hosts (eg: opossum, skunk, raccoon, vole) or other domestic animals such as cattle or pigs (horses?).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The way I understood reactions is that it can take a couple times for the allergy to present itself. My first Maltese, Rosebud, had her first year of shots and was perfectly fine. Then the 2nd year soon after the shot was given, she had a very severe reaction of hives on her head and was rushed back to the vet for epinephrine and monitoring... She had reactions from then on, even though Lepto was removed from the vaccine after the first reaction.

So, I'm thinking that even though a dog had no reaction at first, that they could get a reaction to later shots. My vet said that the first shot does not produce a reaction... I'm not quite sure I understand why but it was something to do with the way the body recognizes it and it takes two times for it to react ?? I know just enough to be dangerous!

So bottom line.... I would not give Lepto.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it does take a couple of vax to have the reaction...the first shot the body builds up antibody towards it and the second time the body attacks it and has the reaction...its the same reason why an rh factor neg woman pregnant with an rh positive baby can have the first child with no problems, but the second child her body attacks. but if she is on her last set of her puppy shots, she has already recieved it enough times to have a reaction to it. it is possible ur rosebud didnt have the lepto every time she got her puppy shots and that is why she didnt have the reaction until a year later.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 3 2005, 05:33 PM
it does take a couple of vax to have the reaction...the first shot the body builds up antibody towards it and the second time the body attacks it and has the reaction...its the same reason why an rh factor neg woman pregnant with an rh positive baby can have the first child with no problems, but the second child her body attacks.  but if she is on her last set of her puppy shots, she has already recieved it enough times to have a reaction to it.  it is possible ur rosebud didnt have the lepto every time she got her puppy shots and that is why she didnt have the reaction until a year later.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39681
[/QUOTE]

Hi, it is weird because it wasn't the Lepto that was her problem. They took it out once she had a reaction and she still had reactions. They tried to isolate the problem but couldn't find out what the problem was... thought maybe it was a preservative in the vaccine. I must be mistaken but I thought they could develop an allergy to shots at any time in their lives... ????

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it depends on what it is...if it is in low doeses it can take longer, but a vaccine is designed to cause a strong immune response, so if the reaction happens from a vaccine after a long peroid of time like u r saying, it is prob. due to a change in that vaccine. bud contact allergies and food allergies are different, b/c it is low doeses of the allergen over a period of time..and the buildup of antibodies takes longer. i dont know if im making sense lol. now im not saying they cant have a reaction later in life to the vaccine, but it is very rare. most reactions occur in puppies.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
but if ur dog is at risk for lepto, the new vaccine is safer. here is some info:
New Leptospirosis Vaccine Immunizes Against L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona

Fort Dodge now offers the Duramune Leptospirosis vaccine that immunizes against L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona serovars as well as L. icterohaemorrhagiae and L. canicola . This vaccine has been formulated through the new subunit technology that uses only the antigen component of the organism (that will produce an immune response) instead of the entire organism. As such, subunit vaccines greatly reduce vaccine side-effects that occur with higher incidence with bacterin-based vaccines while providing durable protection from the disease.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i do want to make something clear, after i have noticed something was said. i'm not making recommendations, only telling facts. i let u read the facts and decide. if u think your dog is at risk u can decide not to get the vaccine. if your dog is at risk for getting lepto you can decide to get the vaccine. i'm sensing some people dont appreciate my information, but i'm only here to help.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 3 2005, 09:22 PM
i do want to make something clear, after i have noticed something was said.  i'm not making recommendations, only telling facts.  i let u read the facts and decide.  if u think your dog is at risk u can decide not to get the vaccine.  if your dog is at risk for getting lepto you can decide to get the vaccine.  i'm sensing some people dont appreciate my information, but i'm only here to help.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39738
[/QUOTE]

Count me as a fan... I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with this board. As I mentioned, sometimes I know just enough to be "dangerous" so I appreciate your clarifying, etc. I have not noticed that there is anyone on here who does not appreciate your help .... You always give us facts and are not "preachy", etc. I say if anyone does not want to hear what you are saying, it is very, very easy to just by-pass your posts or to put you on their "Ignored Users" list.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well something about the wording in someone's post hurt my feelings, but i didnt want to point any one out. thanks for ur compliments

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm here only to say that I support my friend here and can understand why she feels this way. I wanted to publicly support LadyMontava because I know how much it meant to me last week when people supported me. Wording is so important in a forum on the internet, I hope everyone really reads their post before hitting that add reply button b/c it can really hurt someone's feelings. That is something I know all too well. Please...be kind!!!

Alrighty, gonna go back into my hibernation.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate everyones replies thank you all very much
I have found that no matter what little bit of info anyone supplies, sometimes the things that stick in my mind (and work) are the small bits that I'd never imagine I'd get out of a particular post...

Anyway thank you all, and of course I am going to see what the vets recommend when I "meet" them for the first time, but now I have questions and am not going in blind so to speak.

I am so nervous because I always loved my vet but this switch has to be done.

thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.