Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DHLP-P Shot

7K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  joe 
DHLPP is a combination shot: Distemper, (Canine) Hepatitis, Leptospirosis,
(Canine) Parainfluenza, (Canine) Parvovirus...so you cant break it up. and since she has had it before then she prob doesnt have ne reactions to it. sometimes dogs react to the lepto, but u shouldnt have to worry about it, since she has had it before. did she have her rabies yet?

i did learn that they can take the lepto out of the shot b/c half is dry and half is a liquid and the lepto is the liquid i believe and the dry they can dilute with saline so u dont have to have the lepto in the shot..but parker never reacted to it, and aparently ur pup hasnt either.

if the law was put aside rabies is least important...lepto isnt important either cause it doesnt vax for all the strains..but there is a new lepto vax out that is better.

it does take a couple of vax to have the reaction...the first shot the body builds up antibody towards it and the second time the body attacks it and has the reaction...its the same reason why an rh factor neg woman pregnant with an rh positive baby can have the first child with no problems, but the second child her body attacks. but if she is on her last set of her puppy shots, she has already recieved it enough times to have a reaction to it. it is possible ur rosebud didnt have the lepto every time she got her puppy shots and that is why she didnt have the reaction until a year later.

it depends on what it is...if it is in low doeses it can take longer, but a vaccine is designed to cause a strong immune response, so if the reaction happens from a vaccine after a long peroid of time like u r saying, it is prob. due to a change in that vaccine. bud contact allergies and food allergies are different, b/c it is low doeses of the allergen over a period of time..and the buildup of antibodies takes longer. i dont know if im making sense lol. now im not saying they cant have a reaction later in life to the vaccine, but it is very rare. most reactions occur in puppies.

but if ur dog is at risk for lepto, the new vaccine is safer. here is some info:
New Leptospirosis Vaccine Immunizes Against L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona

Fort Dodge now offers the Duramune Leptospirosis vaccine that immunizes against L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona serovars as well as L. icterohaemorrhagiae and L. canicola . This vaccine has been formulated through the new subunit technology that uses only the antigen component of the organism (that will produce an immune response) instead of the entire organism. As such, subunit vaccines greatly reduce vaccine side-effects that occur with higher incidence with bacterin-based vaccines while providing durable protection from the disease.

i do want to make something clear, after i have noticed something was said. i'm not making recommendations, only telling facts. i let u read the facts and decide. if u think your dog is at risk u can decide not to get the vaccine. if your dog is at risk for getting lepto you can decide to get the vaccine. i'm sensing some people dont appreciate my information, but i'm only here to help.

well something about the wording in someone's post hurt my feelings, but i didnt want to point any one out. thanks for ur compliments

i didn't even think i was giving a different opinion
but thats fine. i just find that the words "FYI" are very strong, and the fact that you had "(they are grads)" to me meant that their opinion meant more. to me both statements could have been left out and your post. I appologize to Holliberry and anyone else for disrupting the post...

now back to Lepto....it might not, according to protocol, be givin until 4 mo. as you say....but i know many vets that mix the vax and give it every time. they dont do anything unless a reaction might be possible, or has ocurred. I must say that the 7 years of working in a vet practice, I haven't seen many vaccine reactions. If they did happen, it is very mild. Sure if your vet will give you the option of taking the lepto out, do it. but I can tell you, I don't think my vet knows he CAN take the lepto out. I don't know how many vets out there do know this. Sad to say yes. So if u r thinking about telling the vet to leave this out of the shot, I would call ahead to see what they do. Maybe tell them about this, so they can call their vaccine company to get further instruction on how to do this properly. Maybe they use the new vaccine. I know the place I am doing my externship in Tampa uses the new vaccine. When I called she went out of her way to tell me about it. They have seen no vaccine reactions so far, and were very happy with it. So anyways my point...give your vet a call and see what they do. :D

well some vets dont want to have there frige full of vaccines for every dog around. you would have to carry it with lepto, with out lepto, with corona, with out corona, witout corona and with out lepto, with corona and without lepto, with lepto and without corona. i dont think a vet has enough room in their frige for all that! let alone all the feline vaccines etc. I don't know about u but my vet sees more than maltese, so he would need to be able to vax every type of dog out there.

Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 4 2005, 01:09 PM
I am just looking at Wally, Aaden and Toby's vaccination sheets from last year (the old vet) and I can't tell if they had the lepto vacc. or not.  Here is what it says:

Rabies-1 year Vaccination
da2ppcl C6/CV Recombitek Annual
Bordetella (nasal) W/Annual
Lab: Stool
Lab: Venipuncture-abbreviated
Lab: 3DX Heartworm Inhouse Snap

I would like to know, so when they go back in May (to the new vet 
) I can ask her about it.

Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39870
[/QUOTE]
yes your vet gives lepto and corona which is what the "c" and "l" stand for the "d" is for distemper and the "a" is for adenovirus herpes

i just want to state again I NEVER RECOMMENDED GIVING THE VACCINE I'M JUST SAYING SOME VETS STILL DO! it's not as easy to change things as u make it out to be. and we all have to work with what our vet offers. does it make your vet a bad one if they give the lepto?

Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 4 2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks LadyM--You rock!!! 
  YoIt is so great having you hear to give us advice/info!

Hmmm...now I am wondering what to do.

What is the "Venipuncture"
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39890
[/QUOTE]
the venipuncture is the charge to stick the dog and draw blood. i've never seen this as a charge though..i guess they just break everything down on their bill instead of combining

I feel sorry for those who read this post, and think they need a new vet now. when i say work with them, i mean find out what they do, and educate them. see if they can order shots for you, or find out how to leave this part out of the vaccine. i dont mean just let them give u the shot..that is not working with the vet that is giving in. there are many people that love their vets and I would hate for them to leave the vet they love to a vet they dont like just because of a shot. also it might show up on your bill as given the lepto but it might just be the default in the computer..notify the vet and let them know if u get billed for it and it wasnt given.

yes you can take the lepto out of the one without corona. it is in the liquid part and the rest of the vax is in the dry. we were told to reconstitue with saline to take the lepto out. here is a quote from this website:link "(The lepto part of the multivalent vaccines is usually separate from the rest in the diluent part of the vaccine, by replacing this with sterile diluent solution you remove the lepto from the vaccine)"

well we were taught this in vet school so it is still done today. and the other vaccines were avail. at that time. if u need a more recent source, i will find one for u.

i was reading on the pfizer site and the VANGUARD® DA2PL
vaccine contains the lepto in the liquid portion, so it can be removed, but some of their vaccines contain the lepto in the freeze dried portion. so it depends on what vax is used..so the vet would have to read the package insert to see which portion the lepto is in, to see if it can be taken out. so hopefully if anyone goes to the vet, and all they have is the one w/ the lepto in it, that it is one that can be removed from the vaccine. i know it is still done b/c i just learned this in my infectious disease class in january.

correct, they dont give lepto or corona. but they do the heartworm test, and give rabies. the bordetella is only necessary if u board ur dog or go where there will be a lot of dogs. it is a vaccine for kennel cough. prob. should have a fecal check. otherwise looks like everything is there

u can discuss that with your vet. i dont know how common it is in ur area. but it is also one that can cause vaccine reactions. i do believe it is more common in puppies than adult dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.