Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9 week old Maltese pup had some bloody diarrhea two days ago, blood was very light/bright red - and since then we switched to rice and chicken with pumpkin diet. Well now it's been a full day since he has not pooped. Any ideas on what may be happening? How can we get him to poop?

Registered
Hopefully things are firming up inside of his body. When in doubt about something medical, I always recommend calling your vet (maybe you did). We don't have anyone qualified to give veterinary advice on the forum, as far as I know. I hope he is feeling better and back to having normal poop now--please let us know.

Super Moderator
9 weeks is very young to be away from the litter - the experts in toy breed dogs recommend no earlier than 12 weeks. The bloody diarrhea is very concerning and can be a sign of something much more serious - parvo, parasites, etc, especially if you did not get your pup from a responsible breeder. Please call your vet ASAP and have your pup tested and examined if you haven't done so yet. Good luck.

Premium Member
Sounds like it could be coccidia. Coccidia is actually not all that uncommon. The main symptom is basically bloody stool and diarrhea.

Puppies get it by coming in contact with contaminated feces. The particles can go airborne so technically they dont even have to. Do you have a yard or anything. If stray cats, ducks, or any other animals go through your yard that could cause it. Rodents as well. Its one of those things thats hard to pinpoint.
Basically unless you keep the puppies in a crate the ENTIRE time thats the only sure way to prevent it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts