Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She went to New Orleans and it was very awful watching. It was uplifting though she reunited some families who couldn't find each other. A great thing happended when Nate was also there. A boy was going to get on a bus and they wouldn't let him take his dog. It wasn't the boy with the maltese, it was another boy with a dog that looked like a chow. They wouldn't let him take his dog on the bus, he was so upset. Nate jumped in and rescued the dog to take care of it until the boy could be reunited with his doggy. The boy was so happy. It made me cry. All, I know is I wouldn't get on any bus if I couldn't take my Peechie or my other pets. I quess I would have to be left behind

·
Registered
994 Posts
well thats a happy ending to a potentially sad story
I know i said this before but there isnt a chance in "heck" that i would ever ever leave my maxi, i cant even think about it, i have this front pack that is like a back pack but is for carrying our babies in and i was thinking i would strap it on and put maxi in it and we would be together one way or another
it really angers me that after what all these people have been through and continue to go through that they would even have to make this decision
anyway a friend of mine rather than donate money he bought a generator he had to bring it to nyc last night where they were loading up trucks to go out to the gulf coast, i think everyone is really coming forth and if we all continue to donate money, time, material , we can help these people re build

Thats the American WAY

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I caught the tail end of Oprah, but did see her reunite a family which was very touching indeed. I have to say that Oprah is such a wonderful person with all the good she does for people.
I just wonder what is going to happen to all the pets that are left behind, I pray that they too can be rescued somehow and reunited with their families or at least be fostered until their families can get settled somewhere and eventually somehow find them.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I taped it. Haven't watched it yet.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I watched last night - (I got a new DVR recorder from my cable co. and that was the first thing I did with it) Anyway, it was very moving....she is also going to be there again today...I am not sure if I will watch again today, but it is being recorded.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yes-I saw it-it was very sad...I just love Nate he has such a good heart. Theres no way I would leave Ruby Jean either. I saw on the news where one lady put her dog in her shirt and smuggled him on the bus. I too, can't believe they have to leave their pets behind after all they've been through.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Sep 7 2005, 09:58 AM
I caught the tail end of Oprah, but did see her reunite a family which was very touching indeed. I have to say that Oprah is such a wonderful person with all the good she does for people.
I just wonder what is going to happen to all the pets that are left behind, I pray that they too can be rescued somehow and reunited with their families or at least be fostered until their families can get settled somewhere and eventually somehow find them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97499
[/QUOTE]

oprah is a wonderful genuine human being and she is an asset to all
i watched her show yesterday and will watch again today

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw the Oprah show.... I was CRYING like CRAZY!! My heart ACHES for all the pets that can not be saved.....
Jellybn1

·
Registered
513 Posts
Originally posted by jellybn1@Sep 7 2005, 12:49 PM
I saw the Oprah show.... I was CRYING like CRAZY!! My heart ACHES for all the pets that can not be saved.....
Jellybn1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97538
[/QUOTE]

I also watched Oprah and was crying through the whole show too. I belong to some other animal welfare lists, and have read reports of the various breed specific rescue groups, as well as the local chapters of the ASPCA, making quite a number of rescues, and reuniting some of the pets with their owners. The good news now is evacuees at the New Orleans airport are now able to leave with their pets, who are being treated as family members, according to the Veterinary Medical Assistance Team. (About time don't you think)

The following statement has been cross posted from the Possible Canine Group:

M. A. Littlefield-Chabaud, DVM, MS: Assistant State Veterinarian: I thought
I’d give you a morning briefing on the stories, good or bad, and what is
happening down here before I hit the phones/computer, etc.

Yesterday was a coming together day for centralizing the phone bank to one
area (see numbers below). We have a website with lots of information on it.
Pets that are being evacuated, whether stray, found in homes, etc are being
cataloged, photographed, described, etc and will be uploaded on this site
for people to look and try to find their pets. Animals that meet the
criteria of homeless or abandoned will be sheltered for the maximum of 15
days and then put up for adoption (same way). http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/

Too bad it's only for 15 days, it doesn't seem nearly long enough to me, but hopefully it will help some people locate their missing pets.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Originally posted by jellybn1@Sep 7 2005, 09:49 AM
Jellybn1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97538
[/QUOTE]
thats when i started crying too. how that one dog helped SAVE that other guy??

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I watched Oprah too and was crying also...but I think she really is great...to me, it seems like she is so generous and giving. On the pet issue, the ASPCA has a form that you can fill out if you want to volunteer your services. They ask about transport vehicles, if you can leave your home for 5 days or if you would want to foster a pet . I put that I would foster a pet since I'm in school and cant leave for 5 days and I only have a little car and not a van, SUV or RV...I think that any way you could help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts