Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, I had Tinky in the vets.
We woke up in the morning, and tinky was waiting by the back door, as she ususally does, to go out for wee-wees. She was out in the garden for about 20minutes. I noticed she seemed stressed, and at first she appeared constipated, like she was trying to go, but couldn't. Next thing she started to yelp, and that made me worry. It was cold outside, so after 20minutes i told her to come in. (id of rather her gone on the carpet and be comfortable, than be outside in the cold in pain!) - but nothing - stil yelping. My heart sank for her.
Next she started vomitting - like bile. I couldn't understand it. She was only on the best puppy food on the market (Iams in the UK). I noticed she had a little poop coming out, so I put her in the bath, and washed her to sooth it, hoping it would loosen it. It worked, but when she got out, she snuggled into my lap and was having pain spasms in her stomach. Let me tell you guys, it was the most heart wrenching experience!
She went straight into the vets, they examined her, and suspected it could be Collitis - inflammation of the large intestine. I believe its dietary? Anyway they suddadated her and kept her in on a drip. But now she has to eat bland food. Like white fish, chicken, rice and pasta.
Was wondering if any of you had experienced this? and if you know of anything else I could feed her? She is getting bored of the same old bland diet, but I dont want to try her with anything else incase the COllitis re-occurs again?
Any advice more than welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Our Chase has Colitis and and can only eat Prescription Diet z/d, both canned and kibble. He can have nothing else, not a treat or anything.
He was on Royal Canin Venison and Potato but started having problems with it.
He is doing well on the z/d.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
My Tessa will had a horrible bout of colitis if she eats chicken or a chicken-based food for any length of time. She does well on venison and also lamb. Good luck - hope your little sweetie is feeling better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ooohhh boyyy I have a LOT of experience with that.... My pup was sick since almost day 1 we take her home until just a couple of months ago .... Now she's prefectly healthy.... yaaaaayyyy!!!.
... The vet recommend me at first Hill's i/d but she got bored of that after like 2 weeks... The we got back to her previous diet: chicken/turkey breast; rice and a little of carrot and pumpkin, no salt, no oils, no nothing..... At first I gave her the food very smashed and eventually she got bored of that also, then I tried to not smash it that much and she liked it for a couple of weeks, when she got bored of that also I tried to give her the chicken or turkey breast like little meatballs and the rice/pumpkin smashed like a soup and she like that A LOT.... Since then every day I mixed her food differently (smashed, not so smashed, meatballs, etc) and we did fine.... also you should look to the section http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/60-maltese-food-snacks-treats/97668-home-cookers-can-you-please-post-what-you-feed.html : this helped me a LOT!!!!

...sorry for my bad english, I'm in a hurry right now ... hope your pup is better now ;)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Jane - I don't have any advice but I hope that Tinky gets better and finds some foods that agree with her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts