Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had questions with diffences in getting a puppy or getting one thats about 6 months old (toddler ? :lol: ). I noticed that some breeders will have a young malt to sell thats several months old. And theres some good things about getting a little older pup. But also having them from a puppy is so nice too...

Anyway, I wanted to ask that if you bought a 6 month or older pup would there be problems for them to adjust to a new environment? Espcially if they have been around a sibling all that time. What about if a male hasn't been neutered yet @ that age? Is it too late and they might already have developed undesirable male habits (leg lifting, humpty dance)? And what about if you wanted to change their name? Would it confuse them?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Jan 1 2005, 11:48 PM
I had questions with diffences in getting a puppy or getting one thats about 6 months old (toddler ?  :lol: ). I noticed that some breeders will have a young malt to sell thats several months old. And theres some good things about getting a little older pup. But also having them from a puppy is so nice too...

Anyway, I wanted to ask that if you bought a 6 month or older pup would there be problems for them to adjust to a new environment? Espcially if they have been around a sibling all that time. What about if a male hasn't been neutered yet @ that age? Is it too late and they might already have developed undesirable male habits (leg lifting, humpty dance)? And what about if you wanted to change their name? Would it confuse them?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26824
[/QUOTE]

You could check with the breeder about the leg lifting. If he hasn't already started then just plan to get him neutered as soon as possible or maybe the breeder would get him neutered before he comes home to you. Personally, I don't think 6 months is that old. The real young puppy stage lasts such a very short time and the toddler stage seems to be much longer. Over a lifetime of 12 or so years, a couple months shouldn't make a big difference. I bet you could gradually get him used to a new name, also.

The pluses of the older dog is that you will be able to see his personality and coat and there won't be as many surprises. Have you found one that you think might work out for you?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I want to say right off the bat that I'm no authority. As you know I have just gotten Sassy who is one week short of 6 months. She is the littermate of Sadie, who we got at 14 weeks. It has only been 36 hours but I can give you a couple of observations and suggestions.

First and foremost I'd want to know how big an operation the breeder has and what kind of interaction this older puppy has had with people! Sassy was living in a home. Even with the regular human interaction, she had to compete with 5 other dogs for attention. She is much more reserved than Sadie was when she came. I expect this to lessen in the next week, but she hangs back and watches where Sadie jumped right in. She rode home in my lap for 4 hours and is very attached to me. Sadie is attached to me, but also to my daughter and seems to feel comfortable with everyone.

Sassy is further along at potty training. I take Sadie out about every hour, but Sassy has been trained on pads and can go much longer between potty breaks. She's done great in the house and I'm amazed. There are also no problems with feeding. When we got Sadie she had to be coaxed to eat. An older pup doesn't seem to have any of those problems.

Sadie has a nice coat but we could only go by the breeders assessment. It is very easy to see what we were getting with Sassy. In fact, she has WAY more hair than we are interested in and it'll have to be trimmed up. Sassy has more tear staining. Sadie has one strand at each eye during the teething. Looks like Sassy's had a little more trouble.

We decided to keep the name with Sassy. With Sadie we told the breeder our name choice but she had an older dog named Sadie so she called Sadie Baby Girl the whole time. It worked out. The male littermate has had a big name change and isn't taking to the new name yet. He will in time, but not right away. We liked the name Sassy just fine so I decided to keep it for ease.

So far, I am very pleased with the older puppy. We loved having Sadie at 14 weeks, but don't think that an older puppy is a bad deal at all. MY big caveat would be to make SURE that it isn't a kennel dog, or one that has been around so many dogs that it got very little people time. I can tell that Sassy got plenty of attention, even though she had to share with other dogs. In recent weeks the boy dog left so she was competing with 4 other dogs. I would also want to know what the breeder had done with potty training and leash training.

I'll probably have more observations as the next couple of weeks go by. Have you found an interesting prospect?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure yet of any prospects but, I was once considering a beautiful 5 1/2 month old boy that the owner was considering to sell but changed her mind; thats why I was wondering if I ever did consider a little older pup I wanted to research a couple of things to make sure if it would be a right choice for me. At the time, i knew that she owned only him & his sister.

Thank you for the help!! Anymore input please feel free to let me know!

Kallie/Catcher'sMom-- I love the new signature picture! Kallie looks sweet and innocent and Catcher looks so mischievious!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I had Sparkle and Cookie since they were 4 months old and Nibbler and Waffle when they were 8 months. I enjoyed having Cookie and Sparkle at a younger age because I just loved watching them grow up. 8 months is still young but you miss out on some of the cutest baby stages. I am also a strong believer that the younger you have your puppy, the easier it will be for you to mould their personalities. While some personality depends on the puppy, there is a huge dependence on their upbrining. If a puppy was trapped in a cage for 8 months of their life, there is no way they will be as happy and carefree as one who has been loved since 4 months.

On the other hand, a older puppy will give you a better idea of how they will look when they are full grown. Some male puppies may start lefting as early as 4 months but others may not start till a year. The breeder will be able to tell you. Some may stop after they have been neteured. Furthermore, if you are getting an older boy from a show breeder, the chances are they were holding him back for show. He is likely to be more exceptional than a puppy they dismissed as a pet right away but of course, this may not be true if the breeder already has enough boys.

From my experience, both Nibbler and Waffle were held back for show. They are both exceptional representations of the breed but both didn't get big enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts