Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has tried Dimond dog food. I took some others advice an bought some Chicken Soup an my dogs would no touch it for nothing so that brand is out of the question. I seen Dimond in there I know of a breeder around my area feeds it , wondering if it is better then Science Diet like I have fed for quite sometime. I don't have allot to choose from in my area, closet town is like 50 miles so I do have to buy in large quantities when I do.
Teaco

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco@Jun 10 2005, 07:57 AM
I was wondering if anybody has tried Dimond dog food. I took some others advice an bought some Chicken Soup an my dogs would no touch it for nothing so that brand is out of the question. I seen Dimond in there I know of a breeder around my area feeds it , wondering if it is better then Science Diet like I have fed for quite sometime. I don't have allot to choose from in my area, closet town is like 50 miles so I do have to buy in large quantities when I do.
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71245
[/QUOTE]

Well, I went to their web site and at first was impressed. It was talking about the fact that it was a premium food, etc. So, I looked at the ingredients... here they are: http://www.diamondpetfood.com/

Ingredients
Chicken by-product meal, whole grain ground corn, wheat flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, beet pulp, fish meal, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganese oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Doesn't look like "premium" to me.... by-products as the 1st ingredient, corn as the 2nd ingredient (meaning it has tons of corn in it), and lots of other good things are missing.... It may be better than Science Diet but there are so many brands out there that beat this......

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jun 10 2005, 08:36 AM
I may be wrong, but doesn't Diamond make Chicken Soup brand?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71273
[/QUOTE]

I think Chicken Soup is better quality than their regular Diamond brand...the ingredients are much better...

Fresh, Pure, Wholesome Ingredients

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 24% minimum
Crude Fat 14% minimum
Crude Fiber 3% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Sodium 0.3% maximum
Vitamin E 300 IU/kg minimum
Selenium
0.4 mg/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.2% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% minimum

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content
3,593 kcals/kg (336 kcals/cup) Metabolizable Energy

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jun 10 2005, 09:57 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Jun 10 2005, 08:36 AM

I think Chicken Soup is better quality than their regular Diamond brand...the ingredients are much better...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71284
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh, I love the Chicken Soup brand (Peanut didn't tho
) I just remembered one of the dog foods I tried was made by Diamond

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Jun 10 2005, 09:09 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2005, 09:57 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Jun 10 2005, 08:36 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71284

[/QUOTE]
Oh, I love the Chicken Soup brand (Peanut didn't tho
) I just remembered one of the dog foods I tried was made by Diamond

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71291
[/B][/QUOTE]

And you're right...I am pretty sure the Chicken Soup is...I didn't put that in my first post..I was trying to search for the ingredients...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I have learned so much on what to look for in Dog food my problem I live so far from a large city an when I do go to the closest city I can't find many brands that others has mentioned on here. Chicken Soup tried it they hated it guess my Blue Healer will get it. I will keep looking for a better brand then Science Diet that they will eat thanks to everybody sharing the info on what to look for has helped ssssssssooooooo
very much. Special Thank you to every one sharing . I just want my fur kidz to have the very best food.
Teaco

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut is the pickiest dog I've ever met and right now he is doing great on Artemis Small breed mixed with a little bit of Merrick canned food.
artemis link
Merrick

Also the last time I was at the store, a Merrick person was there and I got a free sample bag of one of their kibbles and it has the regular kibbles, dried chicken bits, dried peas, carrot and potatoes too. There are a lot of Merrick flavors, so if your dogs are picky it may be hard to find the right one. Peanut and Tic are eating the canned Turducken and they love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts