Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband picked up the products I ordered yesterday. I compared the ingredients of the Cucumber/Melon shampoo with the ingredients in the Conditioning shampoo since I was told it's the same and they changed only the fragrance. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. I have been a Pet Silk user since 1999. The guy in charge of Pet Silk at Farouk Systems even gave me a tour of their premises. Always got samples when I went to pick up my stuff. Then they got bigger and moved to a separate location. No more free samples. But products were still great. Last year when I ordered some new products I was told they cannot sell to me anymore, they got bigger and now sell only to distributors because they need a tax number. No problem, I have a tax number. Since then, they have moved again, discontinued a bunch of products and THE INGREDIENTS are not the same anymore. A lot more chemicals in there now. I liked their products because there was a lot of natural stuff in there. I will give you 2 examples :
Liquid Silk (old product)
Silk Peptide, Vitamin B, Panthenol, Octly Methoxycinnamate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

Liquid Silk Serum (new product)
Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, SDA Alcohol 40B, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate.

Conditioning Silk Shampoo
Deionized Water, TEA lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Mint Extract, Fennel Extract, Mistletoe Extract, Yarrow Extract, Silk Proteins, Keratin Amino Acids, Betaine, Cocamide MEA, Chamomille Extract, Rosemary, Comfrey, Vitamin A, B, E & D.

Cucumber Melon Shampoo
Deionized Water, TEA Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Citric Acid, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycol Distrearate, Cocamide MEA Laureth-10, Sodium PCA, Methylchoroisathiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone Magnesium Chloride Magnesium Nitrate, Tetrasodium Ethylenediaminetetraacetate, Tetrahydrate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Chamomille Recutita (Chamomille), Salvia Sclarea (Clary Sage), Lavendula Augustifolia (Lavender), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint), FD&C Blue # 1 and FD&C Yellow # 5.

I don't know, but does this sound to you to be the same shampoo or am I stupid.

I am glad I still have half a gallon of old shampoo and rinse left (this order is for a friend) but I don't think I will be ordering again. The ingredients in the Rainforest conditioner are even more scary. :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I'm sorry you're disappointed in the products; that really is ashame. It sounds like the Farouk company is growing very fast and their products are suffering because of it. I ran out of some Repair & Shine (it is a human product) and now I am wondering if their human line has suffered as well. I hate when companies do this to their products--they grow so fast that they compromise the intergity of their product.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I ordered some of the silk serum from Petedge, but it is back ordered or something. I don't really want it if it is different.

I have found that the John Frieda Sheer Blonde products like "spotlight" work great. It says it sleeks, glosses, and detangles. I use it on my daughter and Brink. It seems like they have a few other products that might work too. I may look next time I am at the store.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm glad you said something. The dealer that I buy it off of up here is no longer carrying pet silk. He said he was having trouble getting it. I was thinking of ordering it from the factory but not if they have changed the formula
. Angel has too many allergies and was doing fine with the pet silk probably because it was more of a natural thing without all the chemicals. I guess I have to start from the beginning now to find something I can use on here that won't bother her

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pure Paws has a great line of products. The owner of the company developed the Pure Paws line for white dogs, specifically Maltese. I have used these exclusively on Pico for years. There is an Ultra Brite shampoo, a conditioner and a spray on detangler/conditioner that I use when I brush him. It has a nice fresh smell and people always comment on how nice Pico smells. They have a web site.

BTW a Texas grocery chain, HEB, is carrying a line of dog grooming products and has a cologne that retails for $24! Would you spend $24 for cologne for your Maltese?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wouldn't spend that much on myself and the last stuff I bought for the dogs made Angel sneeze so much I felt guilty. Thanks for the tip on Pure Paws, now I will find out if they sell it in Canada.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Angelsmom@Oct 2 2005, 11:11 AM
I'm glad you said something. The dealer that I buy it off of up here is no longer carrying pet silk. He said he was having trouble getting it. I was thinking of ordering it from the factory but not if they have changed the formula 
. Angel has too many allergies and was doing fine with the pet silk probably because it was more of a natural thing without all the chemicals. I guess I have to start from the beginning now to find something I can use on here that won't bother her 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105403
[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine has a Shih that has awful skin allergies. She just ordered some hypo-allergenic shampoo and conditioner from petedge. Here is the link to the rinse....it smelled SO good!
Bio-groom Anti-Itch Natural Oatmeal Creme Rinse. Here is the link to the shampoo. It did not smell hardly at all....just a "plain" scent if any. Bio-Groom So Gently Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo. Maybe something like these would work for you....

Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Oct 2 2005, 01:15 PM
Pure Paws has a great line of products.  The owner of the company developed the Pure Paws line for white dogs, specifically Maltese.  I have used these exclusively on Pico for years.  There is an Ultra Brite shampoo, a conditioner and a spray on detangler/conditioner that I use when I brush him.  It has a nice fresh smell and people always comment on how nice Pico smells.  They have a web site.

BTW a Texas grocery chain, HEB, is carrying a line of dog grooming products and has a cologne that retails for $24!  Would you spend $24 for cologne for your Maltese?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105424
[/QUOTE]

:eek: $24.00 is a little much. I don't spend that much on my own cologne!

Where do you order Pure Paws from? I might be interested in trying it sometime.
I am disappointed that Petsilk has changed. I was really impressed with their products.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Isn't it awful that so many companies lower the quality when the popularity of a product goes up. Clothing is a good example when you buy for quality in the beginning and then the company starts cutting quality.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Try the website, Pure Paws for a list of distributors. They may let you order directly from the manufacturer since you are in Canada. Or perhaps you can order from my groomer...she is a distributor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Does anyone use the All Systems #1 Pure White Lightening Shampoo? I use this with the Pet Silk Bright White Silk Rinse. I like this better than Bless The Beasts. I was just wondering because I haven't heard anyone mention the White Lightening Shampoo.. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
That is a real bummer.. I've used a lot of products but had always gone back to Petsilk as my go to. I just love the way Tuffy looks and smells after a Petsilk bath. A lot of other shampoos make my Yorkie's hair feel greasy but I never had that problem with Petsilk. And I just love their leave in conditioner. I'm disappointed that they would change their formulations like that.. I always liked how it was very natural. I'm waiting on a trial pack of Chris Systems products so I'm crossing my fingers that they will work.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Maltese Adora-Belle@Oct 4 2005, 02:50 PM
Does anyone use the All Systems #1 Pure White Lightening Shampoo?  I use this with the Pet Silk Bright White Silk Rinse.  I like this better than Bless The Beasts. I was just wondering because I haven't heard anyone mention the White Lightening Shampoo..  Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106122
[/QUOTE]

I use the A#1 All Systems whitening shampoo occasionally, although I find Pantene works just as well. So Silver by Matrix is wonderful for whitening, the best I've found.

Did you know you're not supposed to use a whitening shampooo that often, only every third or fourth time? I think most of us use the Bless the Beasts as our regular shampoo, then supplement with a whitening shampoo occasionally.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Marj~
I love your new siggy of Lady!! She looks beautiful in her bow!!! She's such a pretty princess!!

(sorry I don't use the shampoo...I just had to comment on Lady)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Oct 4 2005, 01:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Maltese Adora-Belle
@Oct 4 2005, 02:50 PM
Does anyone use the All Systems #1 Pure White Lightening Shampoo?  I use this with the Pet Silk Bright White Silk Rinse.  I like this better than Bless The Beasts. I was just wondering because I haven't heard anyone mention the White Lightening Shampoo..  Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106122
I use the A#1 All Systems whitening shampoo occasionally, although I find Pantene works just as well. So Silver by Matrix is wonderful for whitening, the best I've found.

Did you know you're not supposed to use a whitening shampooo that often, only every third or fourth time? I think most of us use the Bless the Beasts as our regular shampoo, then supplement with a whitening shampoo occasionally.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106134
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes, I did learn on this forum that I should not use the whitening shampoo for each bath. So I only use it on Belle every 3rd bath (1 bath a week). I will try the Pantene and see how I like that one. Maybe I just expected too much from Bless The Beasts - either that or Belle was dingier than I thought the time I used it ha! So the So Silver by Matrix is great for whitening also, but I would guess that should only be used occasionally also going by the name So Silver. Am I correct?
Thanks and your baby in your new siggy does look beautiful with her bow - I love Lavender. ~Jackie

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I mix Pantene Smooth and Silky (green bottle) and a little Mane & Tail conditioner together in an applicator bottle to make my own one step detangling shampoo. I honestly think it works as well as the Bless the Beasts.

Thanks for the compliments on my model and her new bow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I make and sell skincare products for a living, so the ingredients are very familiar to me. I avoid petroleum and silicone products such as the Cyclomethicone and Dimethiconol on purpose. That is the first 2 ingredients on the "new" formula for the silk...the third is Alcohol which is very drying. The old formula definitely has more expensive and quality ingredients in it which is why it probably performed better. I've never forumulated a product for dogs, you have to be careful with the ph because their skin is different than humans. It looks like they changed the formula to save money to be honest. The Dimethiconol provides the "slip" feeling and is not even close to the true silk proteins that were in the original formula. It is a silicone, not a natural ingredient. A cheap alternative without the benefits. Cyclomethicone gives the product that dry powdery feeling, it makes a lotion, cream, serum less greasy and is also a chemical.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried it a few years ago, it did not work. It did not remove the stain, but more less put white color over the stain. Maybe what they have now is something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts