Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Apr 22 2005, 05:50 PM
ok, i went to this new groomers today to check it out (groomer told me its $50 for a maltese! yikes!!! 
so expensive)

and the groomer told me to give distilled water for tear stains

i dont know what distilled water is! (english isnt my first language ) 

i use Brita filtered water

is buying distilled water expensive?

and ppl that live in the LA area, where can i buy distilled water?

Ralphs? Vons? wholefood market???

help ! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55525
[/QUOTE]

Mee,

I am not really sure what helped Miko with getting rid of tear stains. It was either using distilled water or not giving him Chicked Soup dog food anymore.

But either way, we have bought distilled water from Vons, Ralphs (and we normally don't go to Whole food). You can find it amongst other bottled water. Just look for "distilled water" Arrowhead makes one and that's the one we normally buy for Miko.

As a side note, on MO there was a recent thread about distilled water and this one poster was actually saying that spending 57 cents (or a dollar) that you would pay for the distilled water is too much for a water for dog. That you should donate this money to charity or something better. Of course, I had to tell her off..

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I buy distilled water for 39 cents a gallon. I bring my own jugs and fill them up. I've heard that the regular plastic bottles from the grocery store have pieces of plastic that flake off and they are not safe to drink, so I use a "safe" jug.

Well anyway, distilled water is not expensive at all. It is pure water with all minerals, etc. removed. All grocery stores carry it. I usually see it with all the bottled waters.....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I buy distilled water at walmart, its really cheap there....my sister freaks everytime I tell her I shop at walmart but its like half the price of the grocery store.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I get mine at walmart too, for around 50 cents a gallon...it didn't help with our stains, or if it did, I would hate to see him without the distilled water! Ha! He has been drinking distilled since he came home.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I thought distilled water will dehydrate them?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My chem teacher told me. I dont remember why.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Now I dont know this to be true,but I have heard that they do need some of the minerals,so distilled is not good for them.I think this is the thousand dollar question with the waters...tap,spring,filtered.distilled.I finally asked my vet and he told me that filtered water is just fine for them.He said he had never heard of giving them distilled water for tearstains.He has taken care of many Maltese through the years.Believe me I tried them all too.But now I go with the filtered water.So thats sums up my little knowledge about it!LOL

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Apr 22 2005, 09:13 PM
Now I dont know this to be true,but I have heard that they do need some of the minerals,so distilled is not good for them.I think this is the thousand dollar question with the waters...tap,spring,filtered.distilled.I finally asked my vet and he told me that filtered water is just fine for them.He said he had never heard of giving them distilled water for tearstains.He has taken care of many Maltese through the years.Believe me I tried them all too.But now I go with the filtered water.So thats sums up my little knowledge about it!LOL 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55563
[/QUOTE]

HA HA! I'm not crazy! I'm not the only one who's heard of this!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Apr 22 2005, 09:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@Apr 22 2005, 09:13 PM

HA HA! I'm not crazy! I'm not the only one who's heard of this!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55566
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hahaha we be crazy together :new_Eyecrazy: LOL

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
LOL! If I am crazy...I'm not alone!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
casey was told by an old vet that tyler needed brita filter...because he needed minerals in it---now he has kidney failure.
so i dont know.

but i give my dogs arrowhead. go to 99 cent store

and the way they make distilled water---i think..by heating up water and bottling the steam. OR...i just pulled that info out of my butt. LOL.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Apr 22 2005, 10:13 PM

[/QUOTE]

When my first Maltese, Rosebud, had bladder stones, the vet said she should drink only distilled. So I got in the habit of that for my babies ever since..... My vet said definitely not to give spring water... I believe it promoted stones ?? I would think filtered tap water would be fine. My Pur filter was just such a pain to change and I hated the way it fit on my faucet, so I got rid of it....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I thought you give them distilled water not for tearstaining but for staining around the mouth from the water getting in the hair there.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I too have always heard that you should not drink distilled water. Your body needs the minerals that are in the water. And I don't believe that the tear staining has anything to do with the water. The best water you can get is Spring water IF it is really spring water. I don't know here in the States. But in France, depending which kind of bottled water you are buying the mineral content is different. In the little town I grew up, the tap water came and still comes from a spring. So there is no need to put in all those chemicals to make it drinkable. Mind you, not all of France has his water from Springs. I leave it up to you, what is more natural, drinking normal water with all the mineral contents or drinking distilled water and taking mineral supplements ? Your body needs the minerals, so it has to get it one way or another.

I guess I am part of the
ones.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Kallie/Catcher's mom I never heard that spring water promotes bladder stones or kidney stones. What I heard is that if you take too much vitamin C and don't drink enough water you can get kidney stones. Don't know if that goes also for the dogs tho.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts