Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiki has a habit that is getting quite frustrating (cute, but frustrating). I was hoping this would taper off as he got older and smarter <_< , but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I take him out front to do his business first thing in the morning and often during the day. This is between his 3 (or more) walks a day. He will sniff, and sniff until he finds just the spot he likes, hike his leg up and if he hears or sees something he forgets what he was doing. He sill just stand there with his leg up until he decides to chase the bird or inspect what ever he heard or saw, but won't go. Then it starts all over again. Now when he is searching for his spot he is very focused, he won't even come when I call him or look up at me (even for a treat)

do any of you experience this with your little ones?

Just curious,
Judi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sydney does this also, I normally just nudge her and tell her to "go potty". Normally she will in under a minute or two. Seems she's distracted at everything even a nice big leaf in the yard. I'm hoping that she will outgrow this. Lately she's been going all the way to the other side of the house to make her "tootsie rolls", I don't think she wants us to watch her anymore.

J

·
0 Posts
My last dog was a cocker spaniel (getting my little maltese in June) and when he was a puppy and young dog I would take him outside to do his business. I would tell him to do his business and give him ten minutes. If he didn't do his business I would take him back inside and put him in his crate for about 10 to 15 minutes and then take him back outside again and repeat. I know some people will think this was cruel but he did learn to do his business on command. This was very nice in the winter time...live in Northern Ohio in the snow belt and I would let him outside, tell him to do his business and he did and was back inside in a very short time. He learned that when I told him to "do his business" he did it and then it was play time, nap time or dinner time. I think for the walking, before you leave the yard have your little one do his business and then go for a walk. This way he learns that a walk is for walking, not trying to find a place to pee or mark his territory. Over time you will learn to read your dog and know when he needs to do his business and you should stop your walking and let him. Hope this makes sense and helps.

J

·
0 Posts
I forgot one thing...when you take your little one outside to do his business don't play with him until he does. He needs to learn this is not playtime but time to take care of business. After he does praise him alot and then take him somewhere else and play. You don't want to play with him right were he goes...he needs to learn to associate that area with going potty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts