Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI that I was looking at the Divine Maltese web site....I love looking at the gorgeous malts.... They have a totally adorable 4-month-old female available now and will have two males available in December. This is one of the top breeders in the country, if anyone is looking..... Divine Maltese Puppies

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: OMG! :eek:
That is all I will say b/c my tummy is in flutters right now...
If only we weren't so poor and broke!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I inquired about the pup and the information is that she has some tear stains, not too bad, will be 6--6.5 lbs as an adult, sweet and outgoing but not the personality for the show ring, nice coat and the price is .........................$3,000.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
When I was looking for Phoebe, we called on one from Divine. She was adorable, and we even named her because she had the same birthday as her daddy
the 4th of July. So, we were going to call her "July"
We called one day and it took us two days to make our decision (she was 6 months old already), and when BF finally said, "get her if it means you will stop crying every night" (I had just lost my Holli
), I called and she was gone

Moral of the story, if you want to get one from them, they might go fast.

Anyway we ended up with Phoebe and couldnt be happier, but looking at her pedigree I think I remember seeing Divine, that group of breeders is close I think. Funny how things happen.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Oct 15 2005, 01:29 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 12:24 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Sassy's mommy
@Oct 14 2005, 09:12 PM
and the price is .........................$3,000.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109870

:new_Eyecrazy:

PS. No offense to anyone ....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109873

[/QUOTE]

Pretty pricy for pet quality, huh?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109894
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's the going price for top-tier breeders and it surely is a lot of money but IMHO for a Divine Malt it doesn't seem that bad at all, especially when pet store Malts can go for $2,000.

From what I understand, Malts for sale from a top-tier breeder such as Divine are called "pet quality" but they are very, very close to standard. They can't show every puppy that is born, so they have to decide which to show and which to sell and the difference between the two is not terribly significant.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well, I think that puppy is absolutely gorgeous
but I don't think I would be prepared to pay $3000 for a pet quality pup either, it's a little over and above what we would be wanting to pay when you consider the ongoing costs for vet fees etc. that could come up in the future, but that is just how I feel, and not a reflection on the breeder in any way. I understand the cost involved when it comes to breeding top quality pups to standard, but for me our little Scooby is just ideal for us and we know he is not top quality and didn't cost us a huge sum, but he is our little baby and most of all he is healthy and strong. I will admit though that he has cost us a lot in accessories, but that is our doing because we love him so and he is worth every penny of it to us. He is the true version of a very Spoiled Maltese

·
Registered
776 Posts
Exactly what Scooby's mom said!! Jack was "cheap"
because of his large size and half-pink eye -- NON STANDARD qualities.. despite his good breeding and all. But he's hardy and loving and adorable and I don't care how close to standard he is -- he's not breeding, or showing, and I just want him to be my little companion

I could pay $3000 for a puppy that gorgeous if I was a really rich person... I mean, gorgeous is gorgeous. But... I am not a rich person

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Gorgeous Puppy !!
I work for a living, not because I just want to.... $3,000 no way from me.

But if your into showing, suppose its worth it.

I bet their Malts licks and poops the same way our Malts do. And I can bet you one thing, the love we receive from our babies is priceless

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver@Oct 15 2005, 11:48 AM
Exactly what Scooby's mom said!! Jack was "cheap" 
because of his large size and half-pink eye -- NON STANDARD qualities.. despite his good breeding and all.  But he's hardy and loving and adorable and I don't care how close to standard he is -- he's not breeding, or showing, and I just want him to be my little companion

I could pay $3000 for a puppy that gorgeous if I was a really rich person... I mean, gorgeous is gorgeous.  But... I am not a rich person

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110001
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Oct 15 2005, 02:12 PM
Gorgeous Puppy !!
I work for a living, not because I just want to.... $3,000 no way from me.

But if your into showing, suppose its worth it. 

I bet their Malts licks and poops the same way our Malts do. And I can bet you one thing, the love we receive from our babies is priceless 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110022
[/QUOTE]

Very well said...both of ya!

I like the "licks and poops" thing too!
That cracked me up!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
After all my vet bills this year, my boyfriend and I always joke that we could have gotten a few more puppies from the top breeders. I think I am now immune to the sticker shock of the high prices. It seems normal to me.

I remember when I first started looking at Maltese (6-7 years ago). Divine and Rhapsody's Maltese prices were much lower. $400-$600 for a male pet puppy and $600-$800 for a female pet puppy. Then 3-4 years ago, it went up to $1000-$1500 for a male pet puppy and $1500-$2000 for a female pet. This is when I got Nibbler from Tonia. Last year, I saw the prices jump to $2500 to $3000 for a female puppy. That is the upper limit I would pay for a show quality Maltese.

I don't doubt that these high prices are justified because of their large showing expenses. But I can imagine the shock of the price for a pet owners. Yes, pet store prices are outrageous but most will look in the newspaper and see a much lower price. I am not saying support backyard breeders or puppy mills but that is just the truth.

At the end of the day, you have to shop around for a breeder you like and that you can build a relationship. Prices often become more flexible if you know the breeder. If you know someone, they will be more willing to setup different payment plans with you. That's the same with friends.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I can well appreciate where you are coming from with the pet dog and the expensive price. Some of the best dogs I've had were given to me. In fact, there are three in my back yard now who are shelter dogs. They love me just as much, look like their breed, and act like their breed. The major expense with them has been their spay and their food. I really liked the statements where it was pointed out that the love was there for your maltese, and the knowledge was there that your dog was not show quality.
Now, the one thing I would like to point out on this topic, from a breeder's standpoint, and from the aspect of someone who is working to produce top dogs....
You would be surprised at the number of inquiries that start out as "just wanting a pet", but the more you talk with the people, the higher their expectations go. They want a certain size, a certain look, certain qualities in coat, all the health testing done, and oh, "please just let me breed one litter for my children". Before long, what it amounts to is the person wants to pay a low price, but expects the same as if the dog were show quality. Last week was a joke. My friend got three inquiries in one day, asking for a two or three hundred dog, because they just wanted a pet. I got two the next day for $200. All were wanting females.
What I'm trying to say, in a nice way, is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want a pet, then be willing to have a dog who may be a little long, have a not so perfect tail set, may not have extensive health testing, or may have a cotton coat. It is doubtful that you would get this from a top breeder, as they have pretty well set the standard for their breedings, and they have so much money involved in the process of doing this that they would need to charge a higher price, just to break even. Like Charmypoo said, the other dogs are out there, they just come from different sources.
Last month, I had some family issues that took up a lot of my time. It was obvious that I would not be there for someone I had planned to sell a pup to. I sent them to a friend who was willing to sell them a show quality pup for the same pet price I quoted, just to help me; however, before long, the questions being asked began to make my friend feel her integrity was being questioned, and she did not feel they would provide the best home for the dog because of what they were asking. She decided it was not in her dog's best interest to go live with them. And, because they questioned her, when I got things resolved here, I did not contact them. I would rather give a pup away than deal with people who set their standards so high for pets that I know they will never be happy with what they obtain.
So, for those of you looking for a new pup, outline your expectations, then be realistic when you contact breeders searching for your pup.
And, on another note, I know some of you have gone to places defined as "show homes" to purchase pups with good pedigree. Some of these are people who have purchased dogs with finished championships from other breeders, but they are not actively involved in showing their own dogs. There is a difference. They have a lot less invested in them than those of us who actively show our own dogs.
This may be a good place to get a nice dog, but I've seen that some of them are charging the same or more than some of us who actively show our dogs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Faye,
Great post. You nailed many things right on the head.

When I was looking for just a pet (Cookie, Nibbler and Waffle), I still had very very high expectations. I had a list of qualities I wanted and I soon recognized that I wanted a show quality pet. Actually, I recognized that I wanted a perfect dog that was unrealistic. I remember getting emails from breeders saying that if they got a dog with those qualities, they will be keeping her. LOL.

To make a long story short, I am now smarter and have more realistic expectations. I contacted so many breeders when I was looking for Cookie. I landed on Jenny Siliski because she promised me everything I asked for. Obviously, being a little kid, I wasn't smart enough to recognize when I was being lied to. I did luck out though ... Cookie is great great Maltese and I am very happy with her. In fact, she is actually showable. Her movement isn't great but she wouldn't be laughed at in the ring.

At the end of the day, if you want a certain look, certain bloodlines, you have to be willing to pay the price and invest the time. And of course, there are still no guarantees - just a much better chance of getting what you want.

If you honestly just want a pet and don't care about size, look, or standards, then it may not be too bad for you to go to other sources. OF course, you have to be very careful to make sure you aren't going to a puppy mill.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts