Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not a soap, real story.

I mom called me so upset today with some news. A friend / family member, not going to say which came and visited her. She is going thu divorce if it an ever be agreed on. She and her husband are very wealthy, I mean very. He is living 300 miles from her and comes home when he wants to see the kids (2) and stays at their home. She can't make him leave, so she goes and spends the night with my mom. He says she will not have a pot to pee in when he's finished with her. Has sold their ocean front home and condo. Now he's treating to sell the home she's in (6200 sq ft). She does the book work for his company and she knows that in 6 months a large project will be finished. He is to profect over a million dollars. This past week end he came to visit and helded her against the wall, cut a leather sofa and several other things. He also told her that he was going to rid her. You take it from there. Mom said she was shaking while telling the story. She is so scared of him. He has the money to do as he please and we think he knows how. She has even bought a Lexus in someone else name, so he can't find her, no tracking device. I don't like her getting my mom involved cause there is nothing mom can do. Should I call her and talk with her, asking to keep us out of this. She knows mom will lead her in the right directions as she has done before.

I have lost sleep over this and so has mom. This poor lady is really in a mess and were not the type to turn out backs. But what can we do, I'm not calling the police as she asked mom not to. Oh ya, she gave mom a tape recorded message to keep of some of their conversations, if something happens to her. She says it will hang him in court. But then it will be to late, she will be gone and she's such a loving and beautiful person.

Give me your opinion on this one.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Apr 26 2005, 08:38 PM
Give me your opinion on this one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57039
[/QUOTE]

holy crap! i am not good with things like this but I would tell her to seek legal advice fast, the police dept and a lawyer, the way he is acting she should be concerned

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Ditto, she should get a lawer and document everything (bank accounts, real estate, retirement accounts, you name it). She should be the one taking him to the cleaners.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She does have an attorney, I'm thinking he must not be the greatest. Or maybe he riding the fence on this one. She was to go and speak with him Friday.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Man, that is really scary and sad!!! I would definetely agree that she should try and turn the situation around the other way!!

If I was in that situation, we would be fighting over who would get all the BILLS! Not money!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
she needs a new lawyer

Also advise her to call 911 and make a non emergency report, they will just document everything she says. The police will actually not do anything to the guy because A, he is her husband, and B. police don't do anything untill a woman is actually hurt (yes both a and b are stupid)

But the report will help her case because when it comes down to it it will be his word against hers. If she has everything pre-documented and/or recorded it sure will help her case

He sounds like a huge ****

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. She's coming to your mom because she's scared and has noone to talk to. I'm not sure how you can go about telling her not to involve her. I'm sorry. I think the best thing to do is to get a good lawyer and ask for their advice.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If she doesn't already have one, tell her to find a good lawyer. Then she should file for divorce using abandonment as her grounds, he walked out on her and the two children and moved away. He cannot sell assets that are jointly held without her approval. Depending on what state she resides in, if he has sold these properties while they are still married, then the proceeds of a "reasonable" sale are considered marital property. He cannot have sold the properties to a family member, friend, etc. for $1. That won't fly.

Another thing she needs to do immediately, change the locks and security codes on the house.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 27 2005, 07:48 AM
Another thing she needs to do immediately, change the locks and security codes on the house.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57133
[/QUOTE]

YES! She needs to protect herself and her kids. Isn't there anywhere else she can stay?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think if he hasn't already given her the papers for the divorce that she should do it. She has enough documentation that she would win in court and he won't be able to take everything from her. She would also win custody of the kids since he has violent tendencies. She should also find another lawyer. If she finds one good enough then they will be sure to get her enough money because they will also profit from her getting money. Someone has to pay them. She should get a lawyer that her husband hasn't delt with in the past. If she does his books then she should know enough about him that she can get a fair deal in the divorce even if she divorces him first.
As far as keeping him out of the house, I don't think that will fly. My father-in-law tried it with my mother-in-law and it didn't work. They aren't even married. They got divorced years ago but since they are both on the title he can't keep her out of the house. The cops even said if you call us back here you are both going to jail. They just don't care.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'd get some Nanny Cams installed ASAP! I'd call the Abuse Hotline and see about a referral to a GOOD attorney. I'd change the locks and security codes and have that camera aimed at the front door!

Bullies succeed because they intimidate.....many times they don't have to do anything, the victim scares themselves to death. I think if she files for divorce she can get a restraining order on him, then call the police when he shows up on the front door cameral.......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 27 2005, 06:48 AM
If she doesn't already have one, tell her to find a good lawyer.  Then she should file for divorce using abandonment as her grounds, he walked out on her and the two children and moved away.  He cannot sell assets that are jointly held without her approval.  Depending on what state she resides in, if he has sold these properties while they are still married, then the proceeds of a "reasonable" sale are considered marital property.  He cannot have sold the properties to a family member, friend, etc. for $1.  That won't fly. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57133
[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly with salty malty...
If her attorney is one they have both used, I suggest she get someone out of town with a good reputation.
She doesn't have to 'leave home'...she could go on a long vacation with the kids until their case comes up in court.
He doesn't sound safe to be around at all.
She needs to use her common sense...is a dollar worth it?
Keep us updated on her progress please.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts