Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
well it's the end of day 2 since dixie was spayed friday. she seems to be quieter than ever and she is hopping around alot trying to scratch at her stitches because they keep poking in her belly (u know the ends of the stitches that are tied?!!

well as well as her feeling sorry for herself and me and paul getting even more doting on her, she hasn't pooped since friday when she has some runny poo stuck under her tail. (sorry!)

she just stands in the garden as if she's scared to push any poop out?!!

she just stands in one spot and looks sadly. my heart is broken and i hope i get my little playful dixie back

any ideas?!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If she is straining to defecate she should see the vet tomorrow morning. What medication is she on? If she is not on anything for pain, she may need a pain medication. Some medications can also cause constipation and that may be the culprit.

It is not unusual for dogs to have yellow gooey poo the day of/after anesthesia. They had a stressful day which alone can cause soft stool and they also may be reacting to the anesthesia that throws their system off a bit.

Her incision is probably itchy. No matter what suture/staple/glue is used to close an incision, when it is healing it gets itchy. If your vet approves, you can use a cold pack on it to numb away the itchies or neosporin with pain relief which will also take the edge off the itchies by numbing it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww...I hope Dixie gets well poops soon!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi had a similar problem. They had me give her a tablespoon of canned pumpkin with her food. The vet also had her on pain meds for a week. I would recommend calling the vet and talking to them about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts