Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dolce hates being put on his back , he gets all nervous and shaky n fights to get up.. i try to sweet talk him, stroke him, treats , point blank he hates it .. any way to get him out of his back fear?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I started by putting her on my lap when my knees were bent on the couch, so she would be angled almost so she's standing up at first. As i'm talking to her/playing with her/giving her treats, I would slowly bring my legs down so she's more in a horizontal position. She got used to it really quickly and it has made my life so much easier for grooming. Plus, now she loves tummy rubs and she loves lying upside down in my arms/on my chest getting attention. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yeager loves being on his back for tummy tickles, he'd roll over by himself haha

In the beginning, I started with cradling him in my arms first, so he felt protected and comfortable. After he got used to being cradled on his back, I started rolling him over on the floor and giving him tunny rubs. He definitely loves the attention lol

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It is a position of vulnerability for them. Make it as pleasant an experience for them as possible, never a battle with you forcing the issue (which I am sure you're not doing anyway). Do it often and always associate it with positive things (i.e. treats, affection, praise, etc).

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
It is a position of vulnerability for them. Make it as pleasant an experience for them as possible, never a battle with you forcing the issue (which I am sure you're not doing anyway). Do it often and always associate it with positive things (i.e. treats, affection, praise, etc).
I agree. I used to have a chihuahua and Yorkie who I could cradle on their backs like a baby. Not so with Tyler. He'll immediately flip around. But what he does love is deciding on his own to roll over and have me tickle his tummy. That's a trust issue too and he gave in to that. I don't even push him for the cradling. It's his trust level and I'm taking the clues from him. I don't have to have him held that way so I pick my battles.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes thats what i try to do , the closest we get is on his side lol but he just doesnt like being on his back lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
My Libby loves to be held and rocked on her back, when she's sleepy.
It's so cute to see her all cuddly and wrapped up in a blanket, just like a baby.:wub:
I started out when she was a puppy, putting her on my legs so she was in a sitting position.

Now she rolls over happily for tummy rubs too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Lola has taken ages to be comfortable on her back. She would fight like crazy when she was younger if she was on her back. Even tilted backwards. Now she does actually roll over herself for tummy rubs, but she is now 11 months.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There was no way Preston would go on his back during our first couple of months. He just started a couple of weeks ago. Now he likes to get scratched on his tummy and is doing it more and more. I've never tried to make him go on his back (well maybe once or twice but I could see how uncomfortable it was for him). Yesterday I was brushing him and he went on his back and let me comb out his belly. Shocked me. Preston had some serious trust issues that seem to be melting away. I guess he's just smart. Why should he have trusted me?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was no way Preston would go on his back during our first couple of months. He just started a couple of weeks ago. Now he likes to get scratched on his tummy and is doing it more and more. I've never tried to make him go on his back (well maybe once or twice but I could see how uncomfortable it was for him). Yesterday I was brushing him and he went on his back and let me comb out his belly. Shocked me. Preston had some serious trust issues that seem to be melting away. I guess he's just smart. Why should he have trusted me?
aww thats great , i cant wait for dolce to feel comfortable about it , and he trusts u cause he loves u n he knows u love him , smart cookie he is !

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Chloe has never let me put her on her back. She will not let me cradle her like a baby either She has always been this way but will sleep on her back at times when she wants to. On the other hand, Summer loves being on her back and you can cradle her all you want...actually, you can do anything to Summer and she doesn't seem to care.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Hannah is very pliable & loves to be held bellyup,I call her the bellyrub queen. She lets me cradle her like a baby & sleeps very comfortable like that. She's always going bellyup to anyone who has an available hand. Boo doesn't like to be cradled, but he does roll over on his back for a bellyrub,he just doesn't like to be forced.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
dolce hates being put on his back , he gets all nervous and shaky n fights to get up.. i try to sweet talk him, stroke him, treats , point blank he hates it .. any way to get him out of his back fear?
Rocky loves to go on his back when he wants to do it. I cannot put him on his back, he immediately rolls back over. He does love his belly rubs and often goes on his back to get them, LOL. I don't try to put him on his back...I have tried sitting up with knees up and feet on coffee table and gently lay him down on my legs..sometimes it works sometimes not.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Zippy has no pride lol. She sprawls out on her back when she decides to take a break. She loves being under the fans like that, and usually sleeps that way.

I can pick her up and hold her when she has time (sigh...zippy) and hold her on her back...she just flops...doesn't bother her at all.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
If I attempted to trim his paw pads while he was on his back ... well, he wouldn't like that. :no2:

However, often I will ask him if he would like a tummy rub ... and, he will roll right over to get a nice tummy rub! :wub: He LOVES tummy rubs! And, he will roll over on his back by himself to ask for a tummy rub. :wub::wub:

Also, he looks like a little angel when he is sleeping on his back ... with his precious little paws and leggies up in the air. :wub::wub::wub:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Trim pads on his paws...I wish Rocky would let me do that!
I always have to watch when I rub Rocky's tummy...I don't wanna be feeling anything I don't wanna be feeling, LOL!!!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh cutie pie Preston...handsome as ever and smart too! Adore his pics!:wub:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts