Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little London is 6 months old and I got her, brought her home, take her to the vet, groom her, teach her tricks, feed her, potty train her, and spend most of the day with her but she gravitates to my boyfriend more. She snuggles on his chest and likes to play with him and to be honest it gets me a little jealous thinking she might love him more than me because he’s a man. He is bigger than me by a lot so he’s probably more comfortable. Lol. And he does play with her more rough which I think she likes because she’s teething and his pain tolerance is higher than mine. We both give her love and I’m home more than he is so I’m just curious if female dogs like men more? Don’t get me wrong she shows me love and I know she loves me but when we are on the bed or couch she lays on his chest instead of mine ALL THE TIME 😢
Sincerely,
Jealous mommy!
E70C717B-367A-4990-9667-7236E8CD7903.jpeg

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I think there is some truth to some male dogs preferring the woman and some female dogs preferring man if they are living with a male/female couple. I am single, so all of my dogs love me most. I think your solution is to get a little boy in the next year ;)

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I think there are a lot of variables that decide this but I don't think its has anything at all to do with genders.

Maybe she considers him the pack leader or something and thats why she shows slightly more interest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there are a lot of variables that decide this but I don't think its has anything at all to do with genders.

Maybe she considers him the pack leader or something and thats why she shows slightly more interest.
Well he definitely is way more of the Alpha at home. She will come to me when he scares her when he plays too tough with her, it’s the cutest thing since her bark sounds like a squeaky toy and he’ll bark back (playfully) and she runs to me. Lol
Just happy she feels loved! But I want more attention!!! Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there is some truth to some male dogs preferring the woman and some female dogs preferring man if they are living with a male/female couple. I am single, so all of my dogs love me most. I think your solution is to get a little boy in the next year ;)
I’m happy my BF loves her (I mean what’s not to love?) because he was on a business trip and he came back to our new baby!! Lol

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Abella definitely is over the moon when my ex comes over. He always has had a way with dogs and kids liking him - I was always the trainer/disciplinarian he the "fun" one.

I might make a suggestion that you start training London not to nip or bite. Dogs need to be taught they can use their mouth without biting or nipping. When she nips your hand (or your boyfriends) loudly say "OUCH" and pull your hand away and brief stop playing. If this doesn't work and the biting continues then stop the playing and put her in her crate after loudly saying "OUCH". She will learn that nipping/biting stops all play and results in her being secluded in her crate for a time out of 15 minutes or so. Be consistent in your training. Once in awhile Abella will still gets a little "mouthy" when we are rough and tumble playing. She immediately stops when I say "OUCH" and she starts licking my hand - like "I'm sorry"- very cute! I hope this suggestion is helpful. Training is a good bonding time for you and London - just like grooming is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Abella definitely is over the moon when my ex comes over. He always has had a way with dogs and kids liking him - I was always the trainer/disciplinarian he the "fun" one.

I might make a suggestion that you start training London not to nip or bite. Dogs need to be taught they can use their mouth without biting or nipping. When she nips your hand (or your boyfriends) loudly say "OUCH" and pull your hand away and brief stop playing. If this doesn't work and the biting continues then stop the playing and put her in her crate after loudly saying "OUCH". She will learn that nipping/biting stops all play and results in her being secluded in her crate for a time out of 15 minutes or so. Be consistent in your training. Once in awhile Abella will still gets a little "mouthy" when we are rough and tumble playing. She immediately stops when I say "OUCH" and she starts licking my hand - like "I'm sorry"- very cute! I hope this suggestion is helpful. Training is a good bonding time for you and London - just like grooming is.
Very helpful! Thanks!! Yes I’ve been trying and I’m getting my BF to get on the same page because I’m the beginning I would tell him not to let her bite and I was the disciplinary and not that it’s been hurting more he says “you’re right we have to not let her bite” I know it’s important that we both are on the same page with her and thankfully he’s coming around. Funny you said your ex ha a way with dogs and kids cause my BF is definitely a charmer with kids and all animals as well. Haha feels like we are parents to kids

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a life long dog owner of all breeds and sizes. There is something in opposite sex preference with dogs. They do tend to love them but when threatened or ill retreat to the trusted maintenance person. As a fact of life try not to be jealous. The trust is deepest with their owner if they come to you in need. That said if there is a serious issue I have known several dogs who literally rehomed themselves. My business owner sister had a female dog who hated the children’s female caretaker. She tried to stay with my young son. My sister refused. My dad visited and took the dog because she was not thriving. She lived very happily with my dad for the remainder if her life.
one detail, she hated my dads neighbor on sight. Reaction of growling, hair on end ,keeping her face to him. My dad ended the relationship with his neighbor. He and I discussed it and agreed that she knew something we didn’t But our family trusted our dogs. Especially this gentle, lovely girl who deserved a good home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts