Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a silly question but I have to ask anyway. I have a few plants in the house (floor plants) and I wanted to know if I need to keep Dash away from them. What could happen to the pup/dog if he nibbled on the plants?

Has anyone ever had a pup eat their plants? if so, what happened? Did s/he get sick?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I don't have any plants inside (I would kill them
) so I don't know if the girls would bother them. But I do know both of them have at one time tried to eat some of the landscaping flowers. They also love to play with dried leaves that have fallen off. They will shred them, eat them, etc.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Check this link out poisonous plants

Peanut is obsessed with any kind of leaf...he loves tearing them up, and he ends up eating some too. He's never gotten sick with the plants here, but we've moved the plants out of their reach anyways.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here is a link to a list of toxic house plants from the ASPCA:
List of Toxic Plants from the ASPCA

Both Kallie and Catcher nibbled on my house plants and especially the soil and sheet moss on top of the soil. None of mine are on the toxic list, though. When they're puppies, you just have to watch them constantly. That's why I like a puppy play pen.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have plants all over my living room but they are big ones and they are on the floor.
I have a Hibiscus... and rubber plant my friend gave me. They are off to the corner near he back door where the dogs go out.

I also have some plants on the window shelf.

Chelsey really loves to play in the leaves outside but had never touches a leaf that may have fallen in the home. Chester when he was small tried to eat one of the leaves I just told him NO and he had never tired it again.
Now outside is a different issue. Chester chould not careless about my garden but when walking he will pick up sticks. Chelsey loves my yellow primulas and always pulles at it. She does not bite it off or eat it .. she pulls it with her lips... i don't knw why. I think she just loves the colour. Even my first matese never touch anything that was not given to her to play with so I have never had this problem , so far.

I think if you teach them while they are small there should not be an issue depending on the puppy
Like they never eat our slipers or anything else laying around the home unless it is there toy. I think it is because when I did catch them, when they were small I just told them No or bad. seems to work so far.

in my garden I have these plants, no issues so far. Here I was thinking I planted things safe for the puppies.
My neighbout gave me some morning glory seed i did the resarch and found out they are really bad for dogs the seed when they drop are posion. So I gave them away at work. last year I spent all this time picking up all the moring glory seeds that droped in our yard becase our neirbour had them growing up her tree. It looked so pretty but we spent most of the summer pulling up vines that sproted up here and there from teh seeds. Let just say she never planted it again.

Hyacinth
Hydrangea
Tulip
Clematis
Asian Lily (Liliaceae)

I think the puppy have never gotten into any issue with these because of the way i planted them the hyacinth and tulips are block off so they don 't run them over while they play outside. The lilly's are planted be hind the Hydrangea. They have no interest in the hydrangea. I only go the clematis last year... they don't even notice it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke+Aug 18 2005, 11:44 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Aug 18 2005, 10:38 AM

Both Kallie and Catcher nibbled on my house plants and especially the soil and sheet moss on top of the soil. None of mine are on the toxic list, though. When they're puppies, you just have to watch them constantly. That's why I like a puppy play pen.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91758
Ah, don't get me started on the sheet moss! I have a 6' tall fake palm tree in the computer room that has that moss around the top of the pot and Cassie LOVES to drag that all over the house so I had to get another gate for that room. And it's a pain to get the little pieces out of the carpet.
And I had some plumeria plants that have small rocks/pebbles over the soil that she found. I heard her crunching on something and when I took it away from her, it was a rock.
So off to another room for those plants. It's like having a perpetual 2 year old. Take something away from her and she will go look for something else to get into (no offense to skinkids :D ).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91761
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes!!! What is it about sheet moss and Malts! I was on the telephone in the kitchen and Kallie, who was about two and sooo good by then, was in the dining room. When I got off the phone I went in there and the sheet moss from a ficus tree was scattered all over the carpet... everywhere! So, I finally have removed all sheet moss... Sometimes I'll try and sneak it back in but they are like addicted to it and I have to remove it again... Maybe some day my plants will be able to be "dressed up" again!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 18 2005, 12:02 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 11:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Aug 18 2005, 10:38 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91758

Ah, don't get me started on the sheet moss! I have a 6' tall fake palm tree in the computer room that has that moss around the top of the pot and Cassie LOVES to drag that all over the house so I had to get another gate for that room. And it's a pain to get the little pieces out of the carpet.
And I had some plumeria plants that have small rocks/pebbles over the soil that she found. I heard her crunching on something and when I took it away from her, it was a rock.
So off to another room for those plants. It's like having a perpetual 2 year old. Take something away from her and she will go look for something else to get into (no offense to skinkids :D ).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91761

[/QUOTE]

Yes!!! What is it about sheet moss and Malts! I was on the telephone in the kitchen and Kallie, who was about two and sooo good by then, was in the dining room. When I got off the phone I went in there and the sheet moss from a ficus tree was scattered all over the carpet... everywhere! So, I finally have removed all sheet moss... Sometimes I'll try and sneak it back in but they are like addicted to it and I have to remove it again... Maybe some day my plants will be able to be "dressed up" again!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91768
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have sheet moss covering the pot with the Hibiscus in it. I I think that was the plant chester tryed to nible at ... but he has never tocuch it ever since that day. chelsey does not even notice it. Hum I guess i'm lucky. Maybe it is like catnip for dogs

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Growing up, we had a Brittany Spaniel. He was the greatest dog I’ve ever known. Aaanyway, he was left home one night, and when we got home he was deathly ill. We took him to the Emergency Vet and they made him vomit. He had eaten a Waxed Begonia. Winston (the Brittany) was 3 years old. He had never touched plants in the house before. The plant he ate was a hanging plant that a cat knocked down trying to eat one of my mother’s prized singing canaries.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we were cat-sitting for the neighbor...it wasn't our cat.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Aug 18 2005, 12:34 PM
Growing up, we had a Brittany Spaniel. He was the greatest dog I’ve ever known. Aaanyway, he was left home one night, and when we got home he was deathly ill. We took him to the Emergency Vet and they made him vomit. He had eaten a Waxed Begonia. Winston (the Brittany) was 3 years old. He had never touched plants in the house before. The plant he ate was a hanging plant that a cat knocked down trying to eat one of my mother’s prized singing canaries.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we were cat-sitting for the neighbor...it wasn't our cat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91778
[/QUOTE]

Poor thing. So the vet was able to save his life?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Aug 18 2005, 12:50 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Carrie
@Aug 18 2005, 12:34 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91778
Poor thing. So the vet was able to save his life?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91790
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. He after a day or so he was back to his ol' self again. I should have added that too!! He lived to the ripe old human age of 20. He was a great dog!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys. this was really a big concern of mine. I have a couple of orchids in the house (not on the list) but they are up high. I also have floor plants (can't remember the name tho) but they are pretty high off the ground. all in all, I will make a mental note to keep Dash away from them. (i talk like he's with me now
) Something told me to buy fake plants . . .

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We have a few plants in the house but are all well out of reach for Scooby. I am happy to say he has never attempted to attack anything of ours except the tissue box and that was a messy experience I must say.
His favorite game though is chasing the leaves outside in fall. He loves the game and often will grab a leaf and rip it to shreds but I don't think he actually eats any of it. I have kept all plants out of his reach more for his safety too, even though I am not too concerned about him attacking them, we never know what he may do one day when we are not looking or if we happen to go somewhere and leave him home alone, it is far better to be safe than sorry I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts