Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kylee has been doing pretty well with the potty training...only one small issue...when we are downstairs she sprints to get to the potty pad and then goes but she doesnt always make it on the potty pad. She goes in the general vicinity of the pad like maybe a couple inches or a foot away...so my question is do I treat for going near the potty pad or should I not treat unless she goes right on it? Should I maybe put a couple more down in that area so she has a bigger space to go in? Thanks in advance, Lori & Kylee

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I wish I knew, my borthers puppy is doing the same thing. I'm a sucker, so when Bella was a puppy if she got within maybe four inches I gave her a treat. Then if she actually went right on the pad I gave her two, but who knows, I might have been too easy on her. However, now that shes fully grown she never misses, so she must have gotten the idea.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We had this problem. That is why I started putting my pads inside a litter box. I bought the dog litter pans. This way it was easier for him to understand that he needed to be IN the box. It also helped with the poops that started ON the pad, but after he walked a bit, ended up OFF the pad.
The containment of the litterpan really helped him understand.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jul 4 2005, 03:14 PM
We had this problem. That is why I started putting my pads inside a litter box. I bought the dog litter pans. This way it was easier for him to understand that he needed to be IN the box. It also helped with the poops that started ON the pad, but after he walked a bit, ended up OFF the pad.
The containment of the litterpan really helped him understand.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77898
[/QUOTE]
Yes, the litter pan is a good idea, we are doing that for Angel

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did the same for Lacey when she was a puppy...put the pads in a litterbox. Helped a lot. If it was me I would not treat unless she goes on the pad.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I wouldn't give a treat unless they potty ON the pad. Otherwise, they think they'll get a treat for pottying anywhere, you know what I mean?

·
Registered
285 Posts
don't give her a treat unless she goes ON the pad. when my puppy was getting trained my fiance let a couple "accidents" near the pad go and she just kept doing it. so i stopped giving her treats until she went on the pad and now she's fully potty trained. best of luck on potty training your little one~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.