Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my little devil is going through a terrible 2 stage
i have this square parsons ( hand made) table that my mom had custom made years ago and she gave it to me and i have these 2 really nice arm chairs that i face towards the table on each side and maxi has never ever attempted to go on them plus if he did he would have too go under the table to get on them, which is why i have it that way, well my nice chairs are now facing the wall , last night i am in my bedroom and all of a sudden i hear thump but loud thump i look over and i see no maxi in my room i go out to the living room and my dear sweet darling baby
jumped on the table knocked off my cd portable player i use for the gym along with a very nice black vase , keys and there he was under the table
thank god it didnt hurt him or fall on him but now i have something else to worry about , you have no idea how much toys he has and he still finds trouble lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is funny you posted that Pudge is about 1 1/2 and I asked the vet if their personalities change around then and she said it is not uncommon from 1 1/2 to 2 years old for them to change abit and "come into their own" so there you have it, it is not your imaginiation. Pudge has had a few changes in his personality enough for me to ask, I was not sure if it was from the neuter or the age......like you said fortunately he didn't get hurt...they are fearless little creatures. If Maxi is like Pudge he thinks he is super dog and jumps up and off and around on everything with the greatest of ease

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The other evening I heard someting banging on the floor in the entry hall area and went to see what was going on... Kallie had gotten my cell phone charger and was biting and chewing the cord and slinging the whole thing around..... She's two-and- a-half years old but has been destructive all her life..... "victims" have included plastic-cased car key, vacuum cleaner cord, Oriental rug, kitchen throw rug, 3 pairs of eye glasses, a friend's sunglasses..... All these items were destroyed to the point of not being usable any more.... I have finally gotten the point and try to keep things out of her reach but the cell phone incident was just a couple days ago.....

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Dec 6 2004, 04:59 PM
That is funny you posted that Pudge is about 1 1/2 and I asked the vet if their personalities change around then and she said it is not uncommon from 1 1/2 to 2 years old for them to change abit and "come into their own" so there you have it, it is not your imaginiation. Pudge has had a few changes in his personality enough for me to ask, I was not sure if it was from the neuter or the age......like you said fortunately he didn't get hurt...they are fearless little creatures. If Maxi is like Pudge he thinks he is super dog and jumps up and off and around on everything with the greatest of ease

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20601
[/QUOTE]
OMG... this better NOT be true!! Kodie has been acting different ever since he was neutered ..which was in sept. He is 1yr 8months old!!!!! I thought it was the greenies I finally bought for him months ago... but now your saying that it could be just his personality?????????? Kodie is being MEAN to me!
He has an attitude with me at times... he has NEVER had one until his neutering and now that hes 1yr 8months... i'm scared!
He wont grow out of this??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie+Dec 6 2004, 04:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-2happymalts
@Dec 6 2004, 04:59 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20601
OMG... this better NOT be true!! Kodie has been acting different ever since he was neutered ..which was in sept. He is 1yr 8months old!!!!! I thought it was the greenies I finally bought for him months ago... but now your saying that it could be just his personality?????????? Kodie is being MEAN to me!
He has an attitude with me at times... he has NEVER had one until his neutering and now that hes 1yr 8months... i'm scared!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20609
[/B][/QUOTE]

He is probably just testing you. He wants you to know that he is in charge. You need to let him know that you are the alpha.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 6 2004, 05:25 PM
OMG...  this better NOT be true!!  Kodie has been acting different ever since he was neutered ..which was in sept.  He is 1yr 8months old!!!!!  I thought it was the greenies I finally bought for him months ago... but now your saying that it could be just his personality??????????  Kodie is being MEAN to me! 
  He has an attitude with me at times...  he has NEVER had one until his neutering and now that hes 1yr 8months... i'm scared!

[/QUOTE]

Kodie, Kodie, Kodie..... He will continue to have an attutude with you until you establish yourself as the alpha. It is up to you... he sees that there is no alpha in the "den" (your house) so he figures that he has to assume the role........ Your dog will become a totally different animal once you do this..... I have posted a list of ways to establish yourself as alpha... if you need me to find that post for you, I'll be glad to.

The reason I am so sensitive to this issue is that when I got my first Maltese, Rosebud, in 1989, I knew nothing about what an alpha was and she became the alpha... that was our existence for over 12 years.... Now that I am the alpha with Kallie and Catcher I can see how much better it can be........ Please... for your sake and his.... do it!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Dec 6 2004, 06:17 PM
The reason I am so sensitive to this issue is that when I got my first Maltese, Rosebud, in 1989, I knew nothing about what an alpha was and she became the alpha... that was our existence for over 12 years.... 
i was just curious, How did Rosebud show her dominance??

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Dec 6 2004, 06:25 PM
i was just curious, How did Rosebud show her dominance??

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20619
[/QUOTE]

Hi Mee... here are some of the ways she showed her dominance:

1. If she was lying on my lap with her back to me and I would go to pet her, she would whip her head around and bite me!!

2. As soon as I came home from work she would run in to the kitchen and start jumping very high near the counter and barking for me to feed her!! And me... like a total nut case would rush and feed her... I mean before I even would hardly put my briefcase down, I would rush to the kitchen to feed her because she demanded it!!

3. If we were in bed and I would accidentally touch her, she would growl at me!

4. She pulled terribly on the leash. She never learned to walk beside me, even after dog training classes... she was always out front.

5. She would not let me groom her at all or even brush her... she would bite me if I tried. (Yet the groomer said she was always a perfect angel with her. In fact the vet didn't even have to use anethesia with her for certain procedures where he might have used it, because she was so good for him...!!)

6. If she wanted to do something she would bark at me and herd me in to the room... I would follow her like a good little submissive pack member!!

7. When we were in dog training class she would not do the down position (a submissive position). She would literally "fall apart" when I tried to get her to do it.

Don't get me wrong... Rosebud was the love of my life but I just didn't know any better, so it was my fault that she was in charge!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Dec 6 2004, 06:43 PM
woa!!!!

yes, she was very dominant over u ~
were u married back then and was she dominant over ur whole family?

or were u the only 2 in the house ?

but then if i was a dog and was the alpha, i would LOVE it if my fellow pack members petted me and hugged me...

i've always craved for my parents love (which they hardly showed) and i constantly need someone for me that shows me that he/she loves me and i LOVE hugging and touching hehehe

heeeeeheeee u dont know how much i "annoy" Jongee by holding and patting her..she gets all grumpy if i do too much and she wants me to stop by wiggling out of me ...so sad.....*Sob*

hhahaa

thank you for answering my questions im sure u miss her dearly

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Dec 6 2004, 07:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Dec 6 2004, 06:43 PM
woa!!!!

yes, she was very dominant over u ~
were u married back then and was she dominant over ur whole family?

or were u the only 2 in the house ?

but then if i was a dog and was the alpha, i would LOVE it if my fellow pack members petted me and hugged me...

i've always craved for my parents love (which they hardly showed) and i constantly need someone for me that shows me that he/she loves me and i LOVE hugging and touching hehehe

heeeeeheeee u dont know how much i "annoy" Jongee by holding and patting her..she gets all grumpy if i do too much and she wants me to stop by wiggling out of me ...so sad.....*Sob*

hhahaa

thank you for answering my questions im sure u miss her dearly

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20624
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Mee,

No I wasn't married at the time... it was just me and Rosebud and she was the first puppy I had ever had. When I was married we had two Irish setters and then later a Doberman but we got them when they were about one year old.

Rosebud would let me pet her and love her and she would kiss my nose on command but if she was not in the mood for being petted... look out!!

In spite of this I did love her so much and even with Kallie and Catcher here, I still miss Rosebud... She was "one of a kind".

If you like a dog that cuddles, you'd love Catcher... he lives to be cuddled. He is like a little baby... if he is on my shoulder cuddling and I try to put him down, he will stretch his little paws out and reach toward me like a magnet..... he is an extremely loving dog.....

Kallie is a cuddler too but doesn't like it nearly as much as Catcher does.....

·
Registered
323 Posts
... if you need me to find that post for you, I'll be glad to.

I would love to see the post, I have an alpha female in our house that is starting to do the growling thing if she does not want you to touch her, I would love to know your tips for becomming the alpha, we would all be a lot happier

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Dec 6 2004, 07:18 PM
If you like a dog that cuddles, you'd love Catcher... he lives to be cuddled. He is like a little baby... if he is on my shoulder cuddling and I try to put him down, he will stretch his little paws out and reach toward me like a magnet.....  he is an extremely loving dog.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20625
[/QUOTE]

YES !!! i think i would loooooooove Catcher !

and thank you for helping me decide to have a male maltese next time coz of all the cuddling and affection the males show
than the girls

i even asked my breeder about having a male next time and asked quesitons and she told me that yes, males are more affectionate...

but then after having Jong-ee's skin infection, im sure she thinks me as irresponsible....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Dec 6 2004, 07:25 PM
YES !!! i think i would loooooooove Catcher !

and thank you for helping me decide to have a male maltese next time coz of all the cuddling and affection the males show 
than the girls

i even asked my breeder about having a male next time and asked quesitons and she told me that yes, males are more affectionate...

but then after having Jong-ee's skin infection, im sure she thinks me as irresponsible....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20630
[/QUOTE]

Jong-ee is still a puppy... right? My experience has been that as the dog gets older they get even more loving and give more back... with puppies it is "me, me, me" but as they mature they develop a soul.. a depth to their personality..... hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Dec 6 2004, 07:41 PM
Jong-ee is still a puppy... right? My experience has been that as the dog gets older they get even more loving and give more back... with puppies it is "me, me, me" but as they mature they develop a soul.. a depth to their personality..... hope that makes sense!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20633
[/QUOTE]

ooo right!! i forgot about my parents maltese..shes like 5yrs old..but the last time i saw her, ii havent seen her like in one year coz i moved out of my parents house and i came back to visit my grandparents a year later and gongju was there!!!

but she was really happy to see me again (she loved me the most, she growled and barked at my mom whenever my mom raised her voice at me coz i wasnt a very good daughter..hahah...but my mom was soooo pissed coz she considered Gong-ju to be HER dog but Gong-ju loved me more than my mom...hahaha)

anywayz, yeah, when i met gongju again, i was kinda amazed she wasnt that interested in playing anymore..all she wanted to do was snuggle up next to me and get patted and get tummyrubs.. she was soooo playful and loved playing games with me the last time i saw her......i dont know if it was just seeing her agian in one year but all she did was just lay right next to me and get cuddled....

and the first night when i was sleeping, grandma didnt want me to sleep with her coz i'll be going back to LA in a few days and didnt want gongju to get too excited coz she'll get disappoined when i leave again...so she slept in her crate in the living room as usual, and grandma closed my door and she was scratching my door the whole night and crying....so my grandma closed the crate but she was still crying and crying...it was so sad......it was more painful that i couldnt do anything about it but just hear her cry.....and then i woke up early in the morning and let her in my room and heheh i took a photo of her being all bushy looking in the morning

.i miss her...

it was so sad when i had to come back to LA..i called my grandma after i came back to LA and my grandma told me that Gongju was searching for me in the house..and the house is TINY!!!
its not like i'll be hiding somewhere in the small house..

oh yes, in conclusion, i am waiting for jongee's real personality to burst open one day

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Dec 6 2004, 07:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Dec 6 2004, 07:41 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20633
ooo right!! i forgot about my parents maltese..shes like 5yrs old..but the last time i saw her, ii havent seen her like in one year coz i moved out of my parents house..

but she was really happy to see me again (she loved me the most, she growled and barked at my mom whenever my mom raised her voice at me coz i wasnt a very good daughter..hahah...but my mom was soooo pissed coz she considered Gong-ju to be HER dog but Gong-ju loved me more than my mom...hahaha)

anywayz, yeah, when i met gongju again, i was kinda amazed she wasnt that interested in playing anymore..all she wanted to do was snuggle up next to me and get patted and get tummyrubs...i dont know if it was just seeing her agian in one year but all she did was just lay right next to me and get cuddled....i miss her...

it was so sad when i had to come back to LA..i called my grandma (Gongju was staying at my grandma's house) after i came back to LA and my grandma told me that Gongju was searching for me in the house..and the house is TINY!!!
its not like i'll be hiding somewhere in the small house..

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20642
[/B][/QUOTE]

Gosh, I wish there was some way you could get Gongju..... maybe your grandma could intervene or something and see if she could come to live with you.... It sounds like you really, really miss her

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i feel soooo bad for gonju. just take her!!

and yes, the girls went through their terrible 2s. and then they say that male dogs, from the age of 1-4 yrs old they are going to try testing their boundries and try to be dominant. gruffi hasnt tried---thank god! lol. he's super sweet. but he keeps testing ellie. lol. and then she has to attack his face!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 6 2004, 08:36 PM
i feel soooo bad for gonju.  just take her!!

and yes, the girls went through their terrible 2s.  and then they say that male dogs, from the age of 1-4 yrs old they are going to try testing their boundries and try to be dominant.  gruffi hasnt tried---thank god!  lol.  he's super sweet. but he keeps testing ellie.  lol.  and then she has to attack his face!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20663
[/QUOTE]

Catcher is very dominant around Kallie.... he is like a little Napolean... strutting around and attacking her.... but not in a mean way.... but Kallie usually ends up on her back... but I think she likes it because she doesn't try to get up!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 6 2004, 06:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Dec 6 2004, 05:25 PM
OMG...  this better NOT be true!!  Kodie has been acting different ever since he was neutered ..which was in sept.  He is 1yr 8months old!!!!!  I thought it was the greenies I finally bought for him months ago... but now your saying that it could be just his personality??????????  Kodie is being MEAN to me!  
  He has an attitude with me at times...  he has NEVER had one until his neutering and now that hes 1yr 8months... i'm scared!

Kodie, Kodie, Kodie..... He will continue to have an attutude with you until you establish yourself as the alpha. It is up to you... he sees that there is no alpha in the "den" (your house) so he figures that he has to assume the role........ Your dog will become a totally different animal once you do this..... I have posted a list of ways to establish yourself as alpha... if you need me to find that post for you, I'll be glad to.

The reason I am so sensitive to this issue is that when I got my first Maltese, Rosebud, in 1989, I knew nothing about what an alpha was and she became the alpha... that was our existence for over 12 years.... Now that I am the alpha with Kallie and Catcher I can see how much better it can be........ Please... for your sake and his.... do it!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20618
[/B][/QUOTE]
I wasent a member then ,but if you could find that post for me to read id be most interested.I dont have that problem yet with the boys,but i sure dont want to have it either.Anyway,thanks....Sheila

1 - 20 of 35 Posts