Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, our girls favorite thing in the world it seems is to go "Bye Bye" they love going in the car. they get the biggest kick out of running back and fourth in our SUV and barking at everyone and everything.

I realize we are not being safe about it, they are not fastened in, but I try to be a very safe driver.

Anyway, our girls go crazy barking at anyone and anything that passes or comes near our car. especially when we're parked.

Are all Malteses like that? I know that our girls sound ferocious until someone comes up to them, then they want to say hi, and play.

I remember one time my wife and I were out at a strip mall and a lady had a Maltese in the front seat of her car parked in front of a store, and the maltese was going nuts barking at us, looked mean, but knowing how our girls are I walked right up to her and put my hand by the open window and sure enough she went to licking and jumping wanting attention.

Anyone else have similiar little monsters when you take them in the car?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that sounds cute. and i know what you mean about how it seems dangerous and youre a safe driver. so what SUV do you have? we have the expedition and put all the seats down in the back and put a comforter. the girls HAVE to sit on our laps, and gruffi lays down on the center consule.

our girls never barked, but now that we have gruffi---if anyone comes up to our window, then they'll bark. they want to make sure that the person pets them instead of gruffi. they're mean! ellie stands on the drivers lap and scratches at the window when we're stopped at a light. she loves looking outside. but if the car starts moving--she'll scratch again saying "im done, roll up the window".

i bought one of those car seats too. im thinking of trying it out again--sprite usually sits in the back BY HERSELF! i think thats super weird. lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, thus far Maggie is an 'angel' in the car. She sits perfectly upright in my lap and doesn't bark, hassle or squiggle around (AT ALL). Maybe she is just in awe of the surroundings! And, believe me..that is the ONLY time she is not going crazy and being a little mischievous doggie! heheh

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy loves car rides. When I'm driving he'll usually just lay down in his carrier and just watch me the whole time. But when we are the passengers he always has to lay on my shoulders.. I can never keep him in my lap. It's the cutest thing when he lays his little head down on my shoulder. My sister and I took Palbert and Tuffy on a 6 hour car ride and they were really good, we just put a comforter on the back seat with both their little beds and they pretty much just slept the whole time.
They do bark at people when the car is stopped, when we had to stop at a Border Patrol checkpoint both dogs went nuts barking at the Border Patrol lady, it was a little scary considering she had a gun. :eek: But she thought they were cute.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Glomour Dog, I can totally relate with you. The girls love riding in the car specially with the window down. (Maya sometimes gets carsick, I think, and goes to the floor by my feet and sleeps there)-but when we are parked they bark a lot when they see people walking on the steet. and they too sound very ferocious an sometimes Daezie start fighting with Maya(the little one)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki also loves to go bye-bye in the car (I am also a "bad" mom and let him lay on my lap). When we first start out he likes to stand on the arm rest and look out the window, once we get on the highway he will lay on my lap and sleep. If we come to a stop he will jump up and look out the window. He only barks if he sees another dog.

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
(copied this from the "yard watching" thread...didn't know this one was here...so it is posted in both...sorry.

What he REALLY loves is to hang his head out the window in the car! That has got to be a sight to others passing! I usually just do this when we are toodling around town running errands because it has been so hot. The other day on the way to puppy class...it was almost an hour drive and 90+ degrees....must have the AC on! So I did not roll the windows down. He was very upset about it. He kept getting up to look out the window..I guess to see if I had changed my mind...he would press his nose to the glass...look at me and "huff"....and then collapse back in my lap again. Poor baby!

He does not bark at people...yet..

·
Registered
416 Posts
My lil one does awesome in the car

He stays in the back seat unless I bring him into the front seat. I drive a mustang gt with a 5 speed so I wasnt sure how much he was going to like it. I knew I couldnt let him stay in the front seat and particularly not in my lap (air bags and the fact I have to use both feet). I took him to see my parents in the stang which was a 13 hour drive, and I'd swear he slept 99% of the way. He got hot so I did put him in the front seat since I was on the interstate. He laid in the a/c. Spoiled

I've never given Boom the chance to put his head out the windows, but he likes to sit right where all the air comes in. Its cute.

He's also figured out not to bug me too much unless he hears me pull my emergency brake. Then he knows I'm gettin out so surely he's coming too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts