Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I am considering cutting Tav's hair a bit, and I am wondering what everyone's opinion on cutting long hair is (it's quite a bit longer now than in our signature picture). I love his long hair, and I would like someday to see him in a full coat, but at this length it is hard to put him in clothes without worrying about matting, and clothes are so much fun!! Anyway, I have an appointment with our groomer tomorrow (who I love to death... I thank God every day that we found her... it's so important to have someone you trust and love, don't you think?) and I am tentatively considering going short. Not too short... probably not as sort as a full on puppy cut, but something similar. Everytime I look at our signature pic I remember how he was when we got him. These little guys go back to looking like babies when they are cut short, and wouldn't it be wonderful to have a baby again? Oh, but I'm so nervous!! Does anyone have any advice for me?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When Sylphide was a pup, I really wanted to grow her hair long. I was meticulous about grooming, and determined to keep her long, beautiful coat. Well, she started matting after she got spayed (her groomer said it was not uncommon, due to the anaesthesia). The mats got harder to control, but I diligently kept trying

Anyway, we decided to cut her short to grow her hair long again...and discovered a) that she really likes being in a short cut - less grooming and more time for fun, and
that she's adorable in clothes, which she loves. So now we keep her hair very short, and dress her in a lot of fun outfits

We may at some point decide to grow it back again, but right now she, and we, are really enjoying the short cut.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was going to say the opposite of SylphidesMom but then I realized that I'm at the stage she was at when Sylphide was younger. Izzy is still a puppy and I dream of the day she is in full coat, walking royally, head held high, gliding across the floor like....... oh never mind. That's my dream anyway. Knowing Ms. Junk Yard Dog, she'll be one big ol' mattball. I was going to suggest that you let Tavish get into full coat at least once before you cut it short again to make a more informed opinion, however, that could just be because I've not experienced it yet. He's so white and pretty, I'd love to see a more recent picture of him!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was the same way as both of you when I got Tavish. I couldn't WAIT to get him into a full coat to see what it would look like. But after looking at the pictures of both your little babies in their clothes, I started thinking maybe a shorter cut for now would be a nice idea. You both have fabulous stuff for your babies, and when I look at that last picture of IzzyBella that you have in your signature now, 020202, I remember Tav when he looked like that! Like a little baby! Of course, he'll always be my little baby... I am so torn right now. The other factor that is weighing in on this decision is the fact that I was away for a week, and my boyfriend didn't brush Tavish ONCE the entire time. I groom him twice a day since his hair is so long, so a week of no brushing has taken it's toll for sure.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i love parker's long hair..but i've contemplated cutting it at times. but he doesnt matt, so that's not the reason. plus i hardly brush him (maybe once a month). the reason why i wanted to cut it was he was peeing on his hair...so i just trimmed it a little. that seemed to help. i also cut the hair of his ears and neck b/c when it was long, he was more often mistaken as a girl. he still is at times, but not as much.
but the clothes thing is an issue too. but i just make sure to not leave it on for too many hours, and i do brush him when i take them off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i say go for it,i always get elmo cut short about every 3-4 months with my groomer,i leave it longer in the colder months.they are easier to maintain short but mostly i get him cut short is because he won't let me brush him,i think the coat grows back better after a short cut not as fine as before a cut,it seems to grow back more easier to manage and looks healthier as it is a new coat.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quincy has never had a haircut and I couldn't bear the thought! He has a gorgeous full thick coat. Jonas, on the other hand, can't muster up a cotton balls worth of fluff, so it is short for him! So, get another puppy! (just kidding). Really, if you have the time and enjoy grooming, there aren't any clothes in the world nicer than a Maltese in full coat. I did have to cut off Quincy's top knot-Jonas kept using it as a "handle"
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I like the longer cuts but the shorter cuts are so much easier to care for. Lexi is definitly not a long hair type of dog. It just doesn't fit her personality. If you are interested in getting it cut short find some pictures of cuts you likes. You can have different pictures for the different body parts. I have one for the head, another for the body and a third for the legs.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I can't really see your signature picture. I really love the short puppy cut because less maintenance. But if you really want to see what they look like with long hair then only trim it a little. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am in the same boat- but I am determined to let her grow one time to the floor. Now, I did also try this with Holli and she got about 1" from the floor before I hacked it off, and she was kept short for 14 years after that, the rest of her life
we will see if I can do it this time.

But- My feeling is that you can always cut it off. I used to be a hairdresser (actually still am twice a month hehe), and when anyone asked me about growing their hair I always told them to go for it! You will get to a point that you absolutely know that its not good for you and you can cut it then. I would say as long as you can handle the grooming "for now" it doesnt hurt if you just want to see what the lil baby looks like with long hair
and get lots of pictures!!!! hahaha

janet and my 3rd BATH already?!?!?! princess

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 10 2005, 10:43 PM
Izzy is still a puppy and I dream of the day she is in full coat, walking royally, head held high, gliding across the floor like.......  oh never mind.  That's my dream anyway.  Knowing Ms. Junk Yard Dog, she'll be one big ol' mattball.<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42038
[/QUOTE]

I was just sitting here sighing, seeing Sisse as you were describing Izzy, head held high, gliding across the floor....ummmmmmmm, and then the bubble popped and I pictured Sis running full tilt and sliding across the back porch on the cement and flying into the garbage cans after her stuffed elephant!! Not very regal for sure!!
I have not had Sis groomed yet, haven't had that dreaded Rabies shot till the end of the month. So I am not sure what I want...I know that their coat texture actually changes at about 9 months, so would it be worth it to grow it to long now, just to have it change on me?? I know with our Tucson Summers we were really leaning on the "puppy/teddy bear" type cut.....would it be better to have it kept short and then after her coat is done changing let it grow then?? Who knows!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If you live in a hot climate like Tuscon or Raleigh, North Carolina like I do, I just can't see keeping a Malt in a long coat year round if they go outdoors at all.

Lady gets her first puppy cut in April or whenever the weather starts getting hot and her last one around Labor Day. I let it grow during the colder months and it gets pretty long. I love the way it looks long and really do enjoy fussing with it. I swear a daily brushing is easier than spending several hours every month or 6 weeks to cut it.

Puppy cuts are so cute, though. After I get over the shock of that first haircut, I can't get over how cute Lady looks! I keep her face, ears and tail long and still do her topknot, so she still looks like a Maltese. I really think clothes look cuter on them when they are short, too.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The longest Lacey's hair has gotten is 3.5 inches. She is back in a very short puppycut. I didn't want her this short, but the groomer got the wrong directions from her assistant. It was so cute when it was longer. It would bounce when she was running. But I do have to admit I think she prefers it much shorter. She is not a delicate little maltese, she is a tomboy. I keep telling her she is suppose to be my delicate little princess but she just doesn't want to listen. I have to admit the shorter cut is much easier to take care of. It is so short that I don't have to comb it everynight.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I also admit that I keep Chloe in a puppy cut because I love dressing her up. I don't care for the look of a full coated maltes in clothes - just my opinion.

The original reason I wouldn't let her hair grow is because in Florida I think it would just be too much with the humidity and all. Now that I know how much of a commitment grooming is and how much she hates it I wouldn't keep any maltese I ever own in full coat unless they have the temperment for it. Chloe just barely tolerates being on the grooming table to have her barrette changed and then after her mandatory treat she's off to the next great adventure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts