Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a dog's whiskers serve a purpose of if they do anything. For some reason, I hate them on Tuffy.. I'll be petting him and then I feel the hard whisker and it drives me nuts.. I'm always fighting the urge to pluck them out, especially the weird one he gets under his chin. Is it safe to pluck them? Do they need them?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think their whiskers are soo thick that if you pluck them out---it would cause major pain for the dog. but i'm not sure. you can cut it really close to the skin though--thats why i do to gruffi's eyebrows and face whiskers.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
i have never noticed Brinkley's whiskers....?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did a little research and I guess the whiskers have to stay

Whiskers
Whiskers are the stiff hairs on the dog's face. They occur in clusters and serve as sensory structures — anything brushing against these whiskers stimulates Rusty to close his eyes, pull away, turn his head, paw his face, or shake his head.

Some exhibitors trim the whiskers of their show dogs, but such trimming may limit the dog's response to his environment and detracts from the natural appearance of the pet.[/B]

·
Registered
145 Posts
What about eyelashes? I'm just worried that I will pull them into her top knot...

It seems so hard to keep them separate from her regular hair.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 9 2004, 02:40 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8763
[/QUOTE]

Came home and looked for whiskers...none there. Is this something that comes later? Soft white fur is all I can find.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by tlunn+Sep 9 2004, 07:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Sep 9 2004, 02:40 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8763
Came home and looked for whiskers...none there. Is this something that comes later? Soft white fur is all I can find.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8785
[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe Brinkley's are just soft and not stiff.. I didn't really start to notice Tuffy's whiskers until about a month or so ago so maybe they do get the stiffer ones when they get older..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts