Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should brush my malt's teeth or use dental treats like Greenies instead or should I be doing both. My malt is a year old and my vet has never ever brought up dental care and says her teeth are in perfect condition.
She eats Acana Prairie, Greenies, organic spelt treats and fresh veggies and fruit.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I don't do either, really. The only "chews" I give are Bully Sticks & Antlerz. They really help scrape off and keep off tartar that builds up on the teeth. I also use Petzlife Oral Care Spray which really does work.

Greenies as far as I know are not safe for our babies -- I had read that they do not break down/dissolve in the stomach so if a chunk gets swallowed their life could be in danger. I'm not sure if they've changed their product in the last couple of years, but I know they used to be dangerous.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Geez, thankgoodness that at 1 year old there is no problem with the teeth. What kind of vet do you have ? Now is the time to start brushing (you should have started even before to get him to be cooperative). Your greenies won't do a darn thing. Brushing is what's going to help. I started to have Alex's teeth cleaned professionally at age 2. And then after that every two years. Maybe if I would have been more diligent about brushing he would not have needed a dental every 2 years. But now at 12-1/2 years he still has all his teeth compared to other ones who needed teeth pulled at the age of 5.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I'd stay away from Greenies too. When I used to petsit my friend's malt, she used to send him with a greenie a day. Then one day I noticed after he had eaten one on my sofa that there was a stain on the sofa. It was from the greenie and it was really hard, coagulated gunk.:bysmilie: I had the hardest time getting it off the couch since it was rock hard and then realized it wasn't something I'd want inside my little fluff when I got him. Have never given one to Tyler. I brush his teeth with gauze wrapped around my finger and dog toothpaste. He's not a fan but such is life.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The vets office sells CET dental chews (petite) that our seem to love...this is supposed to help, also using a toothbrush (which I need to be more diligent about).

It really all depends on your malt - some build up tartar pretty fast and, while always nervous putting them under anesthesia, if your dog has bad teeth, it's best to have them cleaned than leave them to infect. Even better if you can stay on top of them so that they don't get like that (sounds like your dog may not be prone to that build up...lucky!)

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I brush their teeth at least twice a week and I do use greenies. I've asked multiple vets as well as my trainer and they all had the same answer - the pups who've had problems have been given greenies that were too big for them, so as long as you give them the right size, give sparingly, and supervise them while they chew, they will be fine. I use the teeny size once a week in between brushings.

With my first Malt, I didn't know about brushing teeth and she had a nasty mouth by the time she was 3. I spent thousands on dental work with her. With these 2 (both 2 years old), I've been brushing since day one. At our last visit, the vet said their teeth were in great shape and if I keep taking care of them this way, we'll be at least 2 or 3 more years before even thinking about a cleaning!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Our Greenies has been reformulated to be more water soluable in the past 2 years. But quite honestly I wouldn't feed them to a small dog. They are definately not recommended for puppys under 6 months of age, no matter what the breed. And as with anything hard and could be potentially swallowed,dogs need to be supervised with a greenies.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your opinions and for the heads up on Greenies. I was giving them to her twice a week and she loves them but yes they do make a mess and have stuck to her face on many occasions. I've heard they have changed the formula but they are still quite hard.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm happy to announce that after using another SM'ers advice of brushing teeth with a peice of panty hose rapped around my fringer, Aolani now lets me brush his teeth with the toothbrush the vet had given him a while back. Could be that since he's a little bigger now he's more comfortable with the brush or could be that he loves the taste of the toothpaste, or maybe he's realizing who's boss around here LOL. Everynow and then I still resort to the panty hose brush, you know, in case he misses it ;-) During the week I brush his teeth every day before I go to work.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I do both. Bella was never a good chewer until Floee and Mya came along and hated her teeth being done and with all her heart meds and lack of care they turned out terrible :( I now make sure i brush every 2nd day and they get lots of chewies in between too just incase i miss anything. the vet says anything is better than nothing though :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
ok i must admit i hvnt really brushed dolces teeth maybe once, he is going to b 6 mths on the 29th soo should i start now? gauze, panty hose, toothpaste? which kind .. he actually just lost some teeth n i didnt even notice ..

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Gauze or panty hose work best if his mouth is too small for a finger tip plastic "brush." Use an enzyme toothpaste - I get CET from the vet - along with a chlorhexadine (sp) rinse. I've never tried it, but a lot of SMers swear by PetzLife.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts