Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tha last timeI I was at the vet they said Vanilla who is a year old is due for her DA2PP, her rabies vaccine and her heartworm test. Is the yearly DA2PP really necessary?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The 3 year DHPP protocol says puppy series, booster one year later, then every 3 years. If you are following this protocol then yes, this would be time to booster. Annual DHPP is absolutely UNNECESSARY.
Every dog's vaccine protocol should be tailored to their needs and risks. I like in an area of high parvo incidence, so I do the 3 year protocol. When I lived in an area it was rarely seen, I did titers.
Rabies vaccines are given once as a pup, once a year later, then every 3 years as required by law. Rabies is the only vaccine you may be legally required to give.
Your dog should be heartworm tested every year and any time he/she has been off heartworm prevention for a length of time. It only takes a few drops of blood.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I titer my dogs. It is more expensive then just giving the vaccines. I find we as owners over vaccinate our dogs. Titers will let you know if they still have immunity in their system. It does not tell you how long they have immunity for just that it still shows up in their system. I started titering at one year.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I titer my dogs. It is more expensive then just giving the vaccines. I find we as owners over vaccinate our dogs. Titers will let you know if they still have immunity in their system. It does not tell you how long they have immunity for just that it still shows up in their system. I started titering at one year.
Me too. I agree that vets are generally over vaccinating our pets, but again you have weigh the benefits against the risk.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Titer testing is a good way to go if you dog has already received vaccinations.

3 year vaccinations are better than 1 year, if you feel that you must continue to vaccinate after the initial shots. Since rabies is the law you will probably want to get that 3 year shot. And Parvo, too. Anything more, IMO, isn't necessary. But remember, that is just my opinion.

I suggest you do some research, both pro and con, and decide what you want to do. Everyone has their own reasons/opinions, but you have to decide the best course for your dog. Personally, I wish I had never allowed Nikki to receive a rabies vaccination. But what's done is done, and the laws suck because they are too general and don't allow for exceptions.

I recommend the book, Scared Poopless, by Jan Rasmusen and her website: Top Natural Holistic Dog Health Care Book: Multiple Award Winner

Of course, the vet will try to scare you into vaccinating. Fear is the biggest motivator in the world today, and it is taking away our ability to think independently.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts

I titer too.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
If you titer then have to board your Malts do you have problems w/ them allowing you to board w/o current vaccines,given by a vet?
In some states it's required,even if you don't board your dogs...

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
The 3 year DHPP protocol says puppy series, booster one year later, then every 3 years. If you are following this protocol then yes, this would be time to booster. Annual DHPP is absolutely UNNECESSARY.
Every dog's vaccine protocol should be tailored to their needs and risks. I like in an area of high parvo incidence, so I do the 3 year protocol. When I lived in an area it was rarely seen, I did titers.
Rabies vaccines are given once as a pup, once a year later, then every 3 years as required by law. Rabies is the only vaccine you may be legally required to give.
Your dog should be heartworm tested every year and any time he/she has been off heartworm prevention for a length of time. It only takes a few drops of blood.
The plan Jackie describes is the one I am using with my kids. Puppy series, one year booster and then every 3 years.

I once did the yearly vaccines and I feel it contributed to some of the immune system problems that my previous Maltese developed.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
No state requires a DHPP vaccine. Rabies is a legal issue due to the seriousness of the disease and because our pets can give it to us. Each boarding kennel, training facility, etc. has their own rules and requirements. I haven't had problems with titers for distemper and parvo being accepted, but many places absolutely require rabies with no exception.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I have titered twice and she did not need to be vaccinated. I only have Rylee get the rabies shot and it is good for 3 years. When she has her yearly check up blood tests will be done this time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts