Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you have all read these rules while deciding on what breed of dog to settle on, or in Maltese magazines and grooming books. Do you follow them?

Do you...

1. Brush them every day?
2. Wash their faces every day?
3. Brush the hair in a certain direction?
4. Never leave a sweater on all day?

I have to say I do none of the above... Im a bad mommy. But Britny stays clean with no mats, and I am glad that she isn't AS high maintenence as I thought....

HOw about you all?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
We brush daily. I don't need to wash faces every day, but I keep their faces clean and wipe the corners of their eyes daily. I brush Mikey's coat in layers as it is long. On the puppy cut with Jonathan, it doesn't make much difference which way you brush it other than the long parts. Mikey doesn't wear sweaters or coats (every once in a while wears a coat when it is raining and we are traveling so he has to potty outside). Jonathan sometimes wears a coat to go outdoors. That's not an issue for us.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I brush Peanut every night and wash his face and I never leave his sweaters or his harness on for too long. He gets tangled armpits if I do that. I just figure the more careful I am about preventing mats, the easier it is on the both of us

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ruby gets brushed a couple of times a day--she has to have her face washed twice a day because she tears really badly. I dont leave her sweater on her-only when we go outside. :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are so good!

LOL! I only brush Brit like twice a week. She has silky hair and it never mats (I think the conditioner I use helps too). I wash her face every other night, but she doesn't have really bad goobers, so usually Im washing nothing.

I have left her sweater on all day, but no tangles.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: There are "Maltese Rules?!"

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
1. Brush them every day?: No need , bless the beast take care of that for me
maybe twice a week for chelsey. Chester Once a week when he talks his bath.

2. Wash their faces every day?: Nope , when dirty
3. Brush the hair in a certain direction?: Always
4. Never leave a sweater on all day?: It comes of when they come inside

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
1. Brush them every day? no about once a month..he doesnt matt that much
2. Wash their faces every day? nope only when dirty..maybe once a week
3. Brush the hair in a certain direction? yes
4. Never leave a sweater on all day? no he would def. matt if i did this

·
Registered
200 Posts
Our morning routine consists of getting out of bed ("Mama, I'm pretty tired still... can we cuddle a minute longer?"), going to pee, getting brushed (Mama, I'll stay quiet and not move, but can you hurry it up, please?), putting the topknot in, and washing his face (Like every other kid on earth, he hates having his face washed). He only wears a jacket if it's cold and we're going for a long walk.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hmmm. We have a routine every night too.

Chase and catch Izzy during the Izzy 500 around the kitchen.
Put her wiggling body on the desk top.
Pick up comb.
Pry comb out of Izzy's mouth.
Reach to comb Izzy's head.
Scoop Izzy up after she rolls over backwards trying to grab comb.
Sit and ponder "I didn't know there was a direction we were supposed to be combing in"
Remove hair ribbon from Izzy's mouth.
Ask DH to hold Izzy a minute while I go put bandaid on hand from baby teeth wounds.
Put wiggling Izzy back on desk top.
Give the sit command.
Click and treat.
Pry pencil out of Izzy's mouth.
Argue with DH that yes, we do need to do this every night!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 20 2005, 12:58 AM
Hmmm.  We have a routine every night too.

Chase and catch Izzy during the Izzy 500 around the kitchen.
Put her wiggling body on the desk top.
Pick up comb.
Reach to comb Izzy's head.
Scoop Izzy up after she rolls over backwards trying to grab comb.
Sit and ponder "I didn't know there was a direction we were supposed to be combing in"
Remove hair ribbon from Izzy's mouth.
Ask DH to hold Izzy a minute while I go put bandaid on hand from baby teeth wounds.
Put wiggling Izzy back on desk top.
Give the sit command.
Click and treat.
Pry pencil out of Izzy's mouth.
Argue with DH that yes, we do need to do this every night!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36480
[/QUOTE]

Loved it... that was so funny!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
1. Brush them every day?
I brush them every day when they are in long coats. Even with silky coats, I find that it will get tangled. When they are cut down, I brush them once a week

2. Wash their faces every day?
Only the ones that stain! Waffle has eye issues so his face has to be cleaned every day.

3. Brush the hair in a certain direction?
Yes.

4. Never leave a sweater on all day?
I don't think they would let me even if I tried!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Kirbie..brush everday certain dirrection,clean eyes daily,face as needed,sweater/coat off when he comes in
Bailey...brush every few days(kept in puppy cut as he matts no matter how many times you brush him ) eyes & face as needed, usually has sweater or shirt on all the time cause he gets cold easy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Originally posted by Brit'sMom@Feb 19 2005, 03:37 PM
I'm sure you have all read these rules while deciding on what breed of dog to settle on, or in Maltese magazines and grooming books.  Do you follow them?

Do you...

1.  Brush them every day?
2.  Wash their faces every day?
3.  Brush the hair in a certain direction?
4.  Never leave a sweater on all day?

I have to say I do none of the above... Im a bad mommy.  But Britny stays clean with no mats, and I am glad that she isn't AS high maintenence as I thought....

HOw about you all?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36357
[/QUOTE]

1) Brush them everyday? Grace- NO, everyother day
Schuster- No, about once a week

2) Wash their faces every day? No, every other day and as needed
3) Brush hair in certain direction? Yes
4) Leave sweater on all day? No (and believe it or not, if I leave a sweater on
Grace tooooo long, she takes it off herself,
how?? I don't know!!).

Now, Schuster has a short coat that (regardless of how much I brush him) does not stay straight. His coat tends to curl some. His is not as soft as Grace's.

Grace's hair has never been cut, and it is soooo soft and silky, and soooo straight. I think that she is sooo much prettier than Schuster is. But Schuster is a good little boy and we love him dearly. Yall need to check out their pictures in the Gallery section of this forum. All comments is not only welcome, but very appreciated. Thanks- Have a great day!!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey is in a two inch puppy cut so brushing isn't necessary everyday, but I know I should. I do wipe her face everynight, she gets stuff in the corners. Lacey hasn't been outside much since November, too cold for her, so sweaters and coats are not a problem. The only thing I feel I do all the time is her top knot. Right now she is wearing the little clips, like we use to pull up long hair, but I found really tiny ones. I am always gathering her hair back up and putting the clip back in.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts