Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are resorting out our Will, and also talking about what we would do if we were (heaven forbid) both hospitalized and not here to take care of Wilson and Cooper for a period of time. Thanks to the scary viruses going around, it has got us to thinking about all of this. We don’t have any friends or family here that could safely take care of the boys, as they all have other larger pets etc. They have never been away from home overnight. I wonder if we should start exploring doggy daycare or something just in case? Wilson can be food aggressive though and has been known to pin Cooper down until he screams in mercy even if there’s no food involved 😡. I don’t know if they’d even qualify for daycare with behavior like that. Any thoughts or suggestions for having a plan in place?

The picture below is just cute and I thought y’all might like it. It’s Cooper organizing his toys (as if they are baby chicks, he keeps them gathered and situated 😂). Our little man is quite OCD about how they must sit with him. He moves them just so... and then shuffles them about, as if they are misbehaving lol! 😊

Oh and ignore the chair leg with paper under it (behind Cooper). I was rearranging furniture, and that’s just how I keep my floors from getting scratched up.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Oh my goodness, Cooper is adorable!!!!!!
My plan is to hopefully stay healthy but it's getting pretty scary sounding out there. Here in Ontario we are up to 28 cases of the new virus. I already asked my oldest daughter if she would look after Pipper if I needed her too. She is the only one out of my 4 kids that I would trust to look after him properly. I have a whole case of his food stocked up and I just opened a new bottle of his thyroid meds so that is a 4 or 5 month supply. If the virus hits our town I will make out a detailed list of when he gets his meds and food and the amount of food he gets. If we do get sick I hope we fall into the 80 % category of mild illness and are just isolated at home.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Cooper is adorable. Yes I have someone lined up to take care of Casper. I do have some domestic travel coming up. Just taking common sense precautions.

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Bridget, you have my #! I am here for you & your babies! I would fly there, get them & bring them to us for as long as needed. I don't care about costs or anything. Just know that I would take them in a heartbeat IF that is needed. I would promise to love, protect & care for them as they were my own! Can you write that down for anyone who needs to know---give me permission if needed. God forbid, but He will do what is best as all unfolds. I am serious. Please put my # where it is easily accessible.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
“Oh my goodness, Cooper is adorable!!!!!!
My plan is to hopefully stay healthy but it's getting pretty scary sounding out there. Here in Ontario we are up to 28 cases of the new virus. I already asked my oldest daughter if she would look after Pipper if I needed her too. She is the only one out of my 4 kids that I would trust to look after him properly. I have a whole case of his food stocked up and I just opened a new bottle of his thyroid meds so that is a 4 or 5 month supply. If the virus hits our town I will make out a detailed list of when he gets his meds and food and the amount of food he gets. If we do get sick I hope we fall into the 80 % category of mild illness and are just isolated at home.”

Thank you ❤. Cooper is a cute little stinker. He’s quirky and adorable lol!

It’s so wise to be prepared with all that is going on, and I’m glad you’ve got your daughter to help out if need be. Such a blessing!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ago
“Cooper is adorable. Yes I have someone lined up to take care of Casper. I do have some domestic travel coming up. Just taking common sense precautions.”

So glad to hear that Casper has someone special to care for him. We will be lifting up prayers for your safe travels. 🙏🏼❤

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bridget, you have my #! I am here for you & your babies! I would fly there, get them & bring them to us for as long as needed. I don't care about costs or anything. Just know that I would take them in a heartbeat IF that is needed. I would promise to love, protect & care for them as they were my own! Can you write that down for anyone who needs to know---give me permission if needed. God forbid, but He will do what is best as all unfolds. I am serious. Please put my # where it is easily accessible.
Sandi, you made me cry! Your friendship means so very much to me, and yes, I would be honored to have you listed as an emergency contact for our boys. The prayer is that it would never be needed, but they are my everything, and I can’t imagine them ever being separated or without someone who loves them the way we do. They’ve never been away from us, and they are completely bonded. Btw, in an emergency, we would absolutely be paying for your travels and expenses... non negotiable ! ❤ I am gong to put a list together to share with my family (and also put it on our refrigerator) of contacts, info etc. I’ve switched cellphones, so I need to get your contact info again just in case. I’m going to try and message you now. Much love and traveling mercies for you as you head back home from your daughters. XOXO

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I just found out that one of the couples aboard the cruise ship quarantined in California is from our little town. Ugh. Please pray for their safety and for all of those that are at risk. I am unfortunately high risk because of my health issues. The Doctors always caution me about getting sick because my immune system is very low and I don’t respond to medications well. I also have heart and allergic issues and it’s a tricky balance for me sometimes. So, while I’m not an alarmist, I admit that I am very nervous right now. I have been preparing our home with basic necessities and trying to prepare for the ”just in case”. I’d rather be over prepared than not prepared enough. My husband and I have decided to limit our exposure as much as possible, and to restrict visitors etc for the time being.

I think preparing is wise and praying is essential. I also think a positive attitude is important, and I am going to start practicing some deep breathing exercises and relaxation techniques to help me stay a little more balanced. Hopefully this will all pass soon and we can all move forward.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I find this whole thing so scary and wish it would just go away. Every time I turn on the news I feel like I'm watching a scary movie on TV . My sister like you, has health issues. She has lupus and severe asthma, along with being 60 years old so she's getting pretty worried. I pray that it goes away soon just like influenza does and that they develop a vaccine for it before next winter.

·
Premium Member
23,999 Posts
Finally I got logged on, I kept forgetting to bring my password down stairs, lol
We live in uncertain times, I think we all need to be aware of our surroundings.
My daughter Charity lives in Seattle, she has taken Ethan out of school for the
rest of the month. The principal at his school is helping her get his studies
Charity works at Facebook she is working from home until the 31st
Please remember Ethan in your prayers, he has chemo every month

I have great peace of mind about Geneva's breeder Katherine she has told me if something happens to me and hubby she would take Geneva back.
I do worry about Maddie, she stresses so, I know a change would devastate her, I wouldn't want to have her stay with our kids, they have busy lives

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
This virus is getting out of control. The case numbers are climbing every day by a lot. Just heard that our local high school sent students on a March break trip to Europe!!!!!!! I can't believe they didn't cancel the trip. I sure hope these students will be required to quarantine when they get home.

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Well, I just found out that one of the couples aboard the cruise ship quarantined in California is from our little town. Ugh. Please pray for their safety and for all of those that are at risk. I am unfortunately high risk because of my health issues. The Doctors always caution me about getting sick because my immune system is very low and I don’t respond to medications well. I also have heart and allergic issues and it’s a tricky balance for me sometimes. So, while I’m not an alarmist, I admit that I am very nervous right now. I have been preparing our home with basic necessities and trying to prepare for the ”just in case”. I’d rather be over prepared than not prepared enough. My husband and I have decided to limit our exposure as much as possible, and to restrict visitors etc for the time being.

I think preparing is wise and praying is essential. I also think a positive attitude is important, and I am going to start practicing some deep breathing exercises and relaxation techniques to help me stay a little more balanced. Hopefully this will all pass soon and we can all move forward.
Bridget, are you on FB still? I can PM my # on there to you & my email. Please advise.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally I got logged on, I kept forgetting to bring my password down stairs, lol
We live in uncertain times, I think we all need to be aware of our surroundings.
My daughter Charity lives in Seattle, she has taken Ethan out of school for the
rest of the month. The principal at his school is helping her get his studies
Charity works at Facebook she is working from home until the 31st
Please remember Ethan in your prayers, he has chemo every month

I have great peace of mind about Geneva's breeder Katherine she has told me if something happens to me and hubby she would take Geneva back.
I do worry about Maddie, she stresses so, I know a change would devastate her, I wouldn't want to have her stay with our kids, they have busy lives
Oh, little Ethan is such a warrior and inspiration to us all. We will put him on our prayer list. I’m so glad you have care lined up for Geneva, and hopefully Maddie would be okay with your kids for a bit, if heaven forbid it was necessary. Big hugs and glad to have you back online!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This virus is getting out of control. The case numbers are climbing every day by a lot. Just heard that our local high school sent students on a March break trip to Europe!!!!!!! I can't believe they didn't cancel the trip. I sure hope these students will be required to quarantine when they get home.
It really is spreading quickly 😥. I cannot believe the schools or parents let that trip continue! Ugh.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bridget, are you on FB still? I can PM my # on there to you & my email. Please advise.
I‘m not on Facebook anymore. Sometimes I miss it, but I found that too often I felt obligated to accept “friend requests“ and it just got awkward lol. I did find your email address and just sent you any email. XOXO

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just had several county school districts decide to close for at least 2 weeks. Several others (including ours where my nephews attend) are closed for a day or 2 while the staff prepares for how to handle this. I’m guessing they’ll all be closed by Monday. We have 11 confirmed cases (I think) and since we are surrounded by DC, Military bases etc I think it pushed us towards our State of Emergency order. A lot of people who work in DC, live in VA. We also get a lot of tourists with the beaches, Williamsburg etc.

I actually decided to postpone the boys dentals for a couple of months. I’m not crazy about the exposure risk right now. Both also had to get a couple of shots (bordetella, distemper) before the dentals, and so we are spacing those out. We only (after the puppy series) do the Rabies vaccinations normally, since they have such limited exposure. Unfortunately, Wilson threw up 2 days after the first shot and Coopers eyes are running like crazy. I hate these shots and would rather space them way apart if they are absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
They just announced that ALL Ontario schools are closed for the 2 weeks following March break ( which starts tomorrow). That will be 3 weeks the schools will be closed. Ontario has a total of 59 confirmed cases right now, 17 of them being in the last 24 hours. I have never seen anything like this before.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
It's getting ridiculous here. The shelves in the grocery stores are empty. My daughter couldn't even by baby wipes. Canned goods are sold out as is hand soap, dish soap, toilet paper etc. Glad I already have all the essentials here. I also have 3 cases of Pipper's food.
Schools are closed for at least the next 3 weeks. I just wish my husband didn't have to go out to work every day. I worry that someone is going to bring it to his work since there is a confirmed case in the town he works in. There has been 62 new cases in Ontario in the past 2 days. How are we not supposed to be scared by all this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's getting ridiculous here. The shelves in the grocery stores are empty. My daughter couldn't even by baby wipes. Canned goods are sold out as is hand soap, dish soap, toilet paper etc. Glad I already have all the essentials here. I also have 3 cases of Pipper's food.
Schools are closed for at least the next 3 weeks. I just wish my husband didn't have to go out to work every day. I worry that someone is going to bring it to his work since there is a confirmed case in the town he works in. There has been 62 new cases in Ontario in the past 2 days. How are we not supposed to be scared by all this.
It really is crazy isn’t it? I think we are at 41 confirmed cases in our state. The schools are closed throughout the state for a minimum of 2 weeks. Most churches are closed also. I’m trying hard not to be scared by everything, but it is getting very hard. Like you, I worry about my husband and about him bringing something home too. The stores have lots of empty shelves and I was told today that people are “calling out” instead of working, so that’s putting a strain on the exhausted grocery store employees. I feel so bad for the ones who are showing up, they are working so hard and are likely scared too, They could really use our prayers. Do you want me to see if we can find baby wipes here to send to you? I’m sure shipping is high, but I can at least check for you. Might be time to go old school with a nice warm cloth wipe instead? I pray all the measures our countries are taking will help to minimize the impact. Hugs.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
It really is crazy isn’t it? I think we are at 41 confirmed cases in our state. The schools are closed throughout the state for a minimum of 2 weeks. Most churches are closed also. I’m trying hard not to be scared by everything, but it is getting very hard. Like you, I worry about my husband and about him bringing something home too. The stores have lots of empty shelves and I was told today that people are “calling out” instead of working, so that’s putting a strain on the exhausted grocery store employees. I feel so bad for the ones who are showing up, they are working so hard and are likely scared too, They could really use our prayers. Do you want me to see if we can find baby wipes here to send to you? I’m sure shipping is high, but I can at least check for you. Might be time to go old school with a nice warm cloth wipe instead? I pray all the measures our countries are taking will help to minimize the impact. Hugs.
Thanks for the offer of baby wipes but I'm sure the store will get more in a few days. It's just a weird thing to run out of. Back when my kids were little I used a warm cloth like you said. The whole province of Ontario has a total of 103 confirmed cases but 62 of them have just been the past 2 days. Now they are running out of the test kits so they can only test the elderly or people sick enough to be hospitalized. I'm afraid that means a lot of people are going to go undetected and spread it through the community. I think I should move to Antarctica. I don't think they have any cases there. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts