Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Miko is after all a dog (although its hard to believe at times), we definitely let him walk outside (and run/play in grass). Since he has had surgery and needs to be confined, he has been miserable at home. We try to take him outside still but don't really let him walk so he won't get excited and run. I have read on the other forum, that some people NEVER let their dogs walk outside (not even in their yard). I just wondered how common is this? I know its a toy breed, but don't these dogs still enjoy the outdoors? Walking/being outside brings Miko such joy that I would never want to deprive him of it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi loves to play outside. I can't imagine not letting her play outside. Now that it is nice outside I practically have to drag her back into the building.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 28 2005, 03:29 PM
Lexi loves to play outside.  I can't imagine not letting her play outside.  Now that it is nice outside I practically have to drag her back into the building.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57713
[/QUOTE]

Same here. Phoebe LOVES it. She runs in circles so fast I cant keep up with her and only stops long enough to grab bird poo when available!

My Holli also spent alot of time outdoors, as much as I could give her.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Baxter loves going outside. He is usually at my feet at the door to race me out. We play out a lot but boy does him seem be a dirt magnet. lol

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its great to hear that people do let their dogs walk outside!!!!

Originally posted by Nichole@Apr 28 2005, 01:52 PM
I know exactly what thread you are talking about and something strikes me as not right.  I couldn't imagine not letting a dog walk.  As much as I love Toby, I don't always have the time nor the arms available to carry him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57724
[/QUOTE]

Nichole,

I totally agree. I also think that Miko would rather not be carried! He loves to sniff (and get totally dirty)!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tunder is not paper trained so he goes outside to potty. But other than that he does go for the occasional walk. He loves to be on the ground excepted in crowed places or places he feels a little nervous about then he wants UP.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex makes his round outside in the closed yard every day. He loves to. We don't go for walks in the neighborhood because I am the lazy one and in the summer time it's way too hot and humid for that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It depends on weather condition, where we are going, the time of the day..etc.

I would say that Paris gets to go outside maybe 2-3x a week. Each trip would be about 15~30 mins max. We usually go for an afternoon stroll in the park behing our home. I don't let him run around in the leaves or roll around on the grass much because I have seen where other pet owners don't pick up their waste, and have heard from my neighbors that they can get ticks from the woodsy area of the park. So Paris and I mainly walk on the paved paths.

I would let him out more if we owned our own home because then I can control the quality of the yard (if that makes any sense...
) and know there are minimal dangers in the area/// I don't like the unknown...

However, I think Paris thinks of these short trips as a treat and we both enjoy it. I pack a little water, some treats, and of course, waste bags. After so much walking, we would stop and sit on the bench. I would check his little paws and face to make sure there are no funny stuff stuck to them (he sniffs the ground) and give him a little treat and water. We'd then walk some more and then go home.

I think of it as my reflection time and quality time with Paris... Am I
?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
We have a huge fenced in back yard and a upper deck that goes in front of the house and wraps all the way around the side of the house,then we have a lower deck.My babies LOVE it outside and when the weather permits you will find them in the yard or sunning on one of the decks.Course if Im not out there they have to come check on me alot,but its back outside then!!!I cant imagine ppl. that never let their babies feet touch the ground.So sad for the babies

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buddy loves to go outside he thinks everything he sees he owns so he has alot of work to do to make sure that nothing else is on his kindgom, its alot of Hush Buddy, Hush Buddy, to give the people living around here some peace, but we have no one real close so I let him think he is the king. So you can guess how much he likes being outside. Outside and food are just about equal, in his world.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ruby Jean loves going outside. We spend so much of our time in our backyard and I love watching her run in circles, chasing leaves, and the cats
- they love her too though-they let her know if there not in the mood to play. Walks-not so much-I'm always afraid of a big dog not leashed coming after us....We have a cat door and I'm so surprised she doesn't go out more by herself but she prefers to go out with me
-we lock it though if we have to leave her home. One thing I am learning though-she definitely needs a shorter coat because she's starting to get mats even though I brush her everyday (which she hates).......

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i walk mine for about an hour two times a day. they LOVE walking. they definitely hated it during their surgery times.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey loves it outside! I am potty training her to ring a bell to potty outside and I'm noticing now she'll ring it just to get outside to play! But I just fiqured out this week (put 2 +2 together) that she will not potty in the rain. I take her out and think she must not have to go, and think I'll just try again later - then as soon as we come in she goes right on the floor. She doesn't want to take the time in the rain to potty. Not sure what we're going to do about that one!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles will run around in circles and then stop on a dime .... SNIFF... SNIFF... EAT.... SNIFF. He has no control over smells and rabbit/bird poop they are like drugs to him. We can't even go on brisk walks for him sniffing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts