Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to wonder if Ponyo is going to get any bigger? Her bday is January 17. So that makes her...*Going to check calendar*
About 16 1/2 weeks old. She is about the same weight as the day we got her. When we got her she was 1.3 lbs and now she is sitting at around 1.6
I am SO not used to little dogs, so im not sure what to expect. Is she going to get any bigger or is she done growing?
(Sorry to sound so braindead! :smilie_tischkante: lol)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What does your vet say about her weight? Is he concerned? Here in the US a vet would probably recommend getting a bile acids test for a Maltese puppy who isn't gaining weight.

1.6 pounds is really, really tiny. Reputable US breeders won't even send a Maltese puppy home until she has reached two pounds.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think pups are supposed to grow until they reach about one year, but I've heard they can grown up to about 18 months old. Definitely check with your vet about this one. By the way, I think Ponyo is adorable!

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
wow! she is so tiny!
Milo was 2.6lbs at 10 weeks old and I thought he was tiny!
He gained weight very steadily at that age, about 1-3oz a week - I monitored his weight every week.

I would ask your vet about this.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I got Leila at 16 weeks and she was 2.0 even. She's 7 months now and she's right about 2lbs 4-5oz. How does she feel to you? Is she very bony? I wouldn't worry about it if your vet isn't worried. If he/she is worried, maybe there are things you can add to her diet to help her gain weight. In the meantime, you'll have to take special precautions (extra feedings, etc.) because of her size.

I imagine she'll keep growing, just slowly. Some malts will stop growing at 6-7 months, others grow past a year. A breeder that knows his/her lines really well can usually tell you how big a puppy will get with a fair degree of certainty.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
A breeder that knows his/her lines really well can usually tell you how big a puppy will get with a fair degree of certainty.
I agree!

some lines grow way different to others.

Milo was a big puppy but he grew very fast and stopped growing at 7 months - so he ended up 5.5lbs.

Your pups lines may grow very slowly!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank girls! The vet seems not concerned, but I will ask again at the next visit!
No she doesnt feel boney, or too skinny. She eats pretty well! After her seizure accident, I have been feeding her three meals a day (raw) and if she is giving me her "Mom im SOSO hungry" eyes , in the kitchen, I give her a snack that I bake for the doggies =) Most of the time she doesnt finish all the food in her bowl. Even though it looks like a teeny tiny bit, im sure she ige tting enough! =)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Maltese puppies can slow down in growing as they get a little older, but she should have gained more than 3 ounces between 8 and 16 weeks IMO.

Because of her slow weight gain and her seizure, I would have a bile acids test done. Dr. Center recommends all Maltese puppies get one once they reach 16 weeks anyway since they are prone to liver disease.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Did her breeder say what her adult weight would be approximately? I would ask them, they should know and be able to tell you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts