Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My groomer charges less than half of what they charge in the States and gives better haircuts than any groomer I ever used in the States. I give BIG tips. :D

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I took Toby to the groomer's twice and both times I tipped $5.

I think the tipping thing has gone overboard in this country. For example, while we were moving in, we had some people deliver furniture. They were supposed to set it up, but didn't because "they had too many other deliveries", so they just set the furniture in the middle of the living room and when my husband got home he and I moved it. I tipped the guy because he stood there like he was waiting to be tipped and quite honest I only did it because he knew where I lived. That is parnoid me.

I am also a hairdresser and we learned in school that tipping should only be done when a client is really satisfited with the end product, so not to always expect a tip.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 2 2005, 10:02 PM
I took Toby to the groomer's twice and both times I tipped $5. 

I think the tipping thing has gone overboard in this country.  For example, while we were moving in, we had some people deliver furniture.  They were supposed to set it up, but didn't because "they had too many other deliveries", so they just set the furniture in the middle of the living room and when my husband got home he and I moved it.  I tipped the guy because he stood there like he was waiting to be tipped and quite honest I only did it because he knew where I lived.  That is parnoid me. 

I am also a hairdresser and we learned in school that tipping should only be done when a client is really satisfited with the end product, so not to always expect a tip.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105577
[/QUOTE]

I mean, i always tip my hairdresser really good because I love the way she cuts my hair and she always fits me in as soon as I call her. She goes out of her way to accomodate me and always spends more time on me than I expected and I'm sure she expected to in the first place. But I never thought to tip the groomer :-/. I guess because this is my first experience with a groomer ever and the thought never occured to me..but now I feel bad... I think I will have to start doing this. I really hate when I do things like this because I can only imagine what the people think about me...oh thats the little girl with all the orders for her dog that never tips :-(. Oh well, I will just give her a nice one next time.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I am just saying that I think tipping is out of control. As a hairdresser, I wouldn't expect a tip and if I got one, to me, it would be like a bonus. That is all I meant.

Don't worry if you didn't tip her. She really shouldn't expect it. However, if you plan to use her a lot, my theory is that by tipping them, hopefully they won't be mean to my baby.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My groomer lets me make an appt for Sassy and Sadie and I bring them in and they only have to stay for 1.5 or 2 hours. They hurry them in and out while I go to lunch. I pay $26 each for the grooming and I tip $15 for the both of them. It is well worth it to me that thye are quick in and quick out. I tip well because I want them to continue to give me this excellent service. John did cosmetic surgery on Jolie's groomer so I don't pay for grooming. Since I don't pay I give them double the usual tip.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I tip my groomer because she does such a wonderful job. I never have to wait to get an appointment and I can drop her off and pick her up within 2 hours. I tip 20% of the bill.

As for your movers...you paid for a premium service that you did not receive. I would let the moving company know of your dissatisfaction and demand that they refund the premium that you paid. This is a very common moving rip-off. Just tell them that your local Better Business Bureau, your state's Attorney General, and your county's Department of Consumer Affairs would definitely be interested in these substandard business practices which amount to fraud. You paid for a service that was not rendered.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gosh, i never really thought about tipping, but it does make sense if you are extremly satisfied. and i am, i feel really bad now! the next time i take Srapp's im for sure leaving something.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I just took Cloud to the groomers and tipped $5. The grooming itself costs $38. I think they charged me extra to squeeze the anal sac.
Oh well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I never see my groomer. I saw her the first time I took Zoey in and that's it. They charge $45 so I figure that's enough.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm with the group who never thought to tip! Puddy is the first dog that I've had that required a groomer. But now I feel stupid considering I tip for my own hair and nails! Next time I will tip but what about a Xmas bonus? Is that required?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I also never thought about tipping the groomer. I always tip my hair dresser.

What about tipping the people who carry out your groceries?

·
Registered
313 Posts
i've never tipped l.e.'s groomer before, but i will now. i never really thought about it, but i guess i do tip my hairdresser, so why shouldn't i tip l.e.'s?

thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i usually wash like 6-8 dogs in an 8 hr shift. the most i made in tips in one day was $30 because this lady had 2 dogs, and i had called her 2 hrs after she dropped them off to pick them up. she came 2 hrs AFTER i called her....and 30 min before she came----her HUGE greyhound crapped all over himself, ate it, and got it all over the kennel. so she gave me a $20 tip. lol.

but in 3 months i got aroudn $200 in tips. i dont expect the tips, cuz im getting paid for my job.

groomers get a lot more in tips (the ones that cut your dogs hair)....i've seen that the average is $10. a bunch of times people will get $20. and during xmas...this one grooemr (who has had the same people for 7 yrs) will get like $200, gift baskets, one time got a guitar signed by aerosmith....and a bunch of other crazy things. lol.

we also live in a pretty well off area---so this groomer from buffalo, new york was shocked. LOL

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by steponme@Oct 3 2005, 12:47 PM
What about tipping the people who carry out your groceries?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105696
[/QUOTE]
That's what I am saying--it never stops! I think tipping is out of control.

I bought my car last year and the dealership has free car washes for the life of your car. The porter has to drive your car into the car wash. I asked my husband if he thought I was supposed to tip him. We came to the conclusion that you probably are, but I'm not tipping the guy! Seriously, he drives my car in, runs the A/C, changes the radio station and even got some grime on the seat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I always tip my groomer at least $10 each visit. She does such a wonderful job and she is so ready to accomodate us, that it is my pleasure. She is very gentle and careful with Tavish and he only has to be there for as long as it takes to have the grooming done. He never has to go into a kennel, she just lets him run around until I get there to pick him up. Last Christmas I also gave her a card with $50 in it from us.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Oct 2 2005, 09:37 PM
Hi guys, I was just wondering, do you guys tip the groomer?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105567
[/QUOTE]
yes, I tip well. I hope that tipping might ensure better service. Hopefully if I am a good client she will be more careful with my furbaby. i know they should be careful anyway, but it never hurts to give incentive.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I wish I could afford to tip, but mine go once a week (I have absolutely no skill when it comes to grooming) and I really can't tip every week. I do go crazy with thank you notes though, and I'm getting my groomer a Christmas present this year. I hope the thank you notes make up for my lack of tipping

By the way, do you think a gift card to a restaurant is a good gift for the groomer? I've got to do something special for Christmas and I don't know her well enough yet to buy anything else really.

·
Registered
Frankie, Kelsey, & Poochie. Tanner & Jamie at The Bridge
3,597 Posts
After looking at the prices y'all are paying, I am very fortunate to live in S.C.! My groom just does face, feet and tail on Tanner and only charged me $10 the first time I went to her. I told her that wasn't enuf, so now she charges $15. I know they charge more in Charleston.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts