Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, how often?

I just purchased one and it says use it either before or after every bath (I plan to bathe Dash once every 7-10 days). So that'll be about 3-4 times per month. Is this okay?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
I don't have the bottle in front of me now, but the brand I got is okay for daily use. I only use it after their weekly baths though. Careful, some brands really smell bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Sep 19 2005, 04:11 PM
If so, how often?

I just purchased one and it says use it either before or after every bath (I plan to bathe Dash once every 7-10 days).  So that'll be about 3-4 times per month.  Is this okay?

Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101118
[/QUOTE]


I have an ear cleaning solution that I put in after Sassy's bath which is every week. But, here is the kicker, recently I let her go twice for 2 weeks because of things going on, ie doggie sitting and then in house company. During the 2 week interval I did not use the ear cleaner. Now Sassy has her very first ear yeast infection. I think that even though I let her body go for extra days without a bath I should have still rinsed her ears with the solution.
I feel like such a bad mommy. Because our babies have drop ears they need to be cleansed at least once a week. The answer to your question is Yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
I have one and I use it after Kylee's bath every week. The vet recommended I do this. It is a combination- it cleans and dries the ears so they dont remain wet after her bath..I think this is to prevent yeast infections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,656 Posts
I use OtiRinse. I get it at my vet's office. I am very happy with it. I used to use 1-800-PetMeds and I was happy with that brand as well.

Here is a pic of the OtiRinse:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
I just got a new one, can't remember what kind it is. I got it at the vets. It is the same one that LadyMontava has. I will look when it get home. It is a liquid. I had one from a petstore but didn't like it because it was a creme and would leave clumps of stuff in their ears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Sep 19 2005, 03:19 PM
I have one and I use it after Kylee's bath every week.  The vet recommended I do this.  It is a combination- it cleans and dries the ears so they dont remain wet after her bath..I think this is to prevent yeast infections.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101123
[/QUOTE]


Please, please tell me the brand you are using. It really sounds like something I may get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom+Sep 19 2005, 04:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NewMom328
@Sep 19 2005, 03:19 PM
I have one and I use it after Kylee's bath every week.  The vet recommended I do this.  It is a combination- it cleans and dries the ears so they dont remain wet after her bath..I think this is to prevent yeast infections.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101123

Please, please tell me the brand you are using. It really sounds like something I may get.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101137
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oticalm dries the ears, too. JMM recommended it on another site years ago and I have used it ever since and no ear infections. Here's what it says about it:

OtiCalm Ear Solution is recommended for routine cleansing and drying of moist or waxy, mildly exudative ear canals. For long-term control of mild recurrent otitis externa. Formulated with an effective drying agent for moist ear canals after routine bathing or swimming and ideal for post treatment after use of a ceruminolytic agent and flushing solution. OtiCalm helps to control odor associated with otitis externa. Alcohol free to reduce irritation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
I just got finished cleaning Rosie's ears with R-7 ear cleaner, I dont know if it really works though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 20 2005, 03:18 PM
Oticalm dries the ears, too. JMM recommended it on another site years ago and I have used it ever since and no ear infections. Here's what it says about it:

OtiCalm Ear Solution is recommended for routine cleansing and drying of moist or waxy, mildly exudative ear canals. For long-term control of mild recurrent otitis externa. Formulated with an effective drying agent for moist ear canals after routine bathing or swimming and ideal for post treatment after use of a ceruminolytic agent and flushing solution. OtiCalm helps to control odor associated with otitis externa. Alcohol free to reduce irritation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101529
[/QUOTE]

Thank you Lady's Mom. I was using R7 which I do not prefer, but I didn't know what other ones to buy... R7 really stinks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Sep 21 2005, 04:52 PM
Can I get someone to give specific directions on how they clean
their malt's ears?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101851
[/QUOTE]
I'll try to help or at least tell you how I clean Toby's ears...


I use the OtiRinse that I posted above. I fold Toby's ear flap back, squirt about 1/2 tablespoon into his ear canal, massage the base of the ear and then wipe the inside out with a cotton ball. I repeat on the other ear and then put him on the floor to rub his head into the floor. :lol:

That's all there is to it. I have been doing this to Toby since he was a puppy and we have never (knock on wood) had ear problems. I do this once a week--right after a bath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Sep 19 2005, 04:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Violet's Mom
@Sep 19 2005, 04:11 PM
If so, how often?

I just purchased one and it says use it either before or after every bath (I plan to bathe Dash once every 7-10 days).  So that'll be about 3-4 times per month.  Is this okay?

Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101118

I have an ear cleaning solution that I put in after Sassy's bath which is every week. But, here is the kicker, recently I let her go twice for 2 weeks because of things going on, ie doggie sitting and then in house company. During the 2 week interval I did not use the ear cleaner. Now Sassy has her very first ear yeast infection. I think that even though I let her body go for extra days without a bath I should have still rinsed her ears with the solution.
I feel like such a bad mommy. Because our babies have drop ears they need to be cleansed at least once a week. The answer to your question is Yes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101122
[/B][/QUOTE]

What is the name of your ear cleaner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Thanks Nichole I wasn't sure if you guys wiped it with cotton balls, q-tips
or just left it. I have some ear cleaner as well as ear powder on order
as we speak.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top