Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help my Matilda will not come to me when I call her name. She is 4 months old now and it is so important she learn to come when called. Also she has just started this barking thing, how can I get her to stop. I look at her cute little face and she melts my heart. need help

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
To teach the "come" command.... put her on a leash and have her sit. Then get a few feet away from her and say, "Matilda.... come". Say it with a crisp, clipped sound.... Sort of give a little tug on the leash and as she walks to you sort of touch her rear to get her to sit and then give her tons of praise and a treat. Keep practicing this and eventually move farther away and then try it without the leash.

Also, never ask her to come and give any harsh words, etc. Always make "come" a very happy thing. Eventually you can alternate giving treats every other time and then just now and then.

I think I have this right..... I'm trying to remember from training class with my first Malt. I haven't taught K & C to come. Catcher will come always when I call but Kallie is stubborn and won't. I need to work on training also!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jack is 6 months old now, and though he "knows" the come command, he won't always actually do it -- only if he's not interested in something else! I use the "C'mere Jacky" pseudo-command for when I sort of want him to come over here, you know, so it's all right really if he doesn't obey -- and I am just starting to seriously train the "Jacky, COME" command that I want him to ALWAYS OBEY no matter what (like to get him to get out of the road or another danger or something). I also have to take him to obedience classes pretty soon to make sure he has respect for me and my commands.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A reliable recall can be a life saver. We play a few games to help teach it.

First game is the recall game. You and another person sit across from each other. You hold her while the other person waves a treat and then calls once for her to come or whatever your word will be. You send her back and forth.

Play sit, wait, come. Have your dog sit, ask her to wait/stay, take a step or two back, then call her and run backwards as you do. Use a leash to help ensure her success.

The interuption game means put her on a leash somewhere not too distracting (back yard). Let her get entertained. Then, call her excitedly, run backwards, and you can help her to you with the leash if needed. Treat and let her go back to playing. Never call her to end a game.

Never use your recall if you can't be sure she'll do it. It takes a lot of repetitions and consistency to get a solid recall. This is where a leash comes in handy. Never call her to end a game or go inside. Always have it be a positive thing.

An obedience class would really help you out. It can make all the difference in the world having somebody show you in person how to work with your dog.

As for barking, I like to ask the dog to do something else rather than yell or tell them no. A recall or puppy push ups are good alternative behaviors. Treat for that behavior.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Aug 30 2005, 06:10 AM
A reliable recall can be a life saver. We play a few games to help teach it.

First game is the recall game. You and another person sit across from each other. You hold her while the other person waves a treat and then calls once for her to come or whatever your word will be. You send her back and forth.

Play sit, wait, come. Have your dog sit, ask her to wait/stay, take a step or two back, then call her and run backwards as you do. Use a leash to help ensure her success.

The interuption game means put her on a leash somewhere not too distracting (back yard). Let her get entertained. Then, call her excitedly, run backwards, and you can help her to you with the leash if needed. Treat and let her go back to playing. Never call her to end a game.

Never use your recall if you can't be sure she'll do it. It takes a lot of repetitions and consistency to get a solid recall. This is where a leash comes in handy. Never call her to end a game or go inside. Always have it be a positive thing.

An obedience class would really help you out. It can make all the difference in the world having somebody show you in person how to work with your dog.

As for barking, I like to ask the dog to do something else rather than yell or tell them no. A recall or puppy push ups are good alternative behaviors. Treat for that behavior.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95267
[/QUOTE]

JMM great advice. Quick question?? What are puppy push ups? we're having MAJOR barking issues with our older Malt, Stitch

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Mine ALWAYS come when I call. They never know if I'm calling because I have a treat, or if I want to play, or if I want to pet them, kiss them, snuggle with them, etc. They are always so curious to see what I want. Sometimes I call them just to see them come running. And then I praise them and love on them and they are glad that they came.

As for the stop barking thing, that is something we still need to practice sometimes what with kids setting off fireworks every other day in the park across the street, drunks thinking they can sing or wanting to bash each other's heads in, etc. What I do is as soon as they bark, I say, "Quiet!" and then immediately praise before they have a chance to make another sound. I pet them and love on them a bit, say quiet again, praise again. Then, as soon as there is another bark-worthy noise, I look at them and say, "Quiet" and praise them immediately before they've had a chance to think about barking. Works for us.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Summer comes somethimes and sometimes she doesn't
I really need to take her to a classs She sits ,waves, and will lay down when i tell her but she only comes half the time I never let her out front because, it becomes a game to her and she runs . I hate that. (thankfully we live on a private street and have a large front lawn) Barking, she's a peach
very little and really only when she wants something (play,down, etc) I think half the time when I hold her she's trying to talk to me
I just wish I new what she was saying :lol:
She reminds me of our cats -_- indepentant litttle things :lol:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by dooly@Aug 30 2005, 06:35 AM
JMM great advice.  Quick question?? What are puppy push ups?  we're having MAJOR barking issues with our older Malt, Stitch
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95270
[/QUOTE]

Puppy push ups are going from sit, down, stand, repeat.

The idea is to ask for an alternative behavior that is incompatible with barking.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Aug 30 2005, 09:50 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dooly
@Aug 30 2005, 06:35 AM
JMM great advice.  Quick question?? What are puppy push ups?  we're having MAJOR barking issues with our older Malt, Stitch

The idea is to ask for an alternative behavior that is incompatible with barking.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95320
[/B][/QUOTE]
is this a good idea...?? When kodie barks now... or gets nasty.. I ask him for his paw and then he stops and gives me paw... ?? Is that the same idea as asking for an alternative behavior?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie+Aug 30 2005, 09:03 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 09:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-dooly
@Aug 30 2005, 06:35 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95320

[/QUOTE]
is this a good idea...?? When kodie barks now... or gets nasty.. I ask him for his paw and then he stops and gives me paw... ?? Is that the same idea as asking for an alternative behavior?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95329
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, same idea. Run him through a few behaviors to really get his attention.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
One of the advantages of having multiple dogs is that they learn from each other. Cookie is extremely smart and obedient, she knows over 10 commands. For some reason, the other dogs learned quickly because of her.

The most important ones in my opinion are "come" and "no". I find that when "come" fails, I can always use "yum yum" (I say it when it's treat time). That works better in almost all cases

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Aug 30 2005, 08:06 PM
One of the advantages of having multiple dogs is that they learn from each other.  Cookie is extremely smart and obedient, she knows over 10 commands.  For some reason, the other dogs learned quickly because of her.

The most important ones in my opinion are "come" and "no".  I find that when "come" fails, I can always use "yum yum" (I say it when it's treat time).  That works better in almost all cases

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95544
[/QUOTE]

My dogs have no idea what "no" means LOL We use "uh oh" in a happy voice which means to try a different behavior. If Mikey was sniffing something yucky and I say uh oh, he'll sit or come or give a paw. They do know "yucky" which actually means look at me for a treat instead of whatever you were into. Again, it is a happy cue rather than a negative.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am still giving treats when they respond to the "come" command. However, if we are out and they are off their leashes... "come" is not as effective as "Come, treat, treat!" Then they run like the wind. They must figure they should get paid for their exercise!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I feel for you because I'm also having the same problem. With Bella, we didn't do any real "training" exactly because she already knew so much by the time I got her (Bless her breeder!), Harley though, is a different story. She's a little darling, but we have some work to do
I think I'll try the suggestions JMM gave you, Bella always comes to me and I think its because she knows its always a good thing (hugs, kisses) so I totally agree with that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
does the buttercup come to me when called? bwhahaaaahahaahaahahahahahaha!!!!!

when Her Royal Highness finds i'm worthy of her presence (or i open the cabinet where the greenies are stored...either, i suppose), she'll saunter on over. sometimes, she just comes running over to me for no apparent reason. kinda like a cat would. you know how cats just suddenly decide "oh crap, i need to be in the DINING ROOM!!! like, YESTERDAY!!!!" and they shoot off to that spot only to fall asleep again? buttercup will come running over, paw on my leg or the side of the chair like CRAZY...and only to go to sleep as i pick her up.

when there is food involved, she will go thru her whole gamut of tricks. all three of them. and if "paw" doesnt work, she'll try each of her paws until i find one i like, i suppose.

she's not bright, but she's PRETTY!!!!!!!!

ann marie and the "greenie goddess" buttercup

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chelsey never used to come to us when called. She is one year old now. finally she will come to us. She is starting to get good at it. She will come to use and run around or dance at our feet. One time she got out of the house and headed down the road. She would not come back. My husband ran out side after her with no shoes on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My puppy will come in a play session. He likes to sit and look at me, and when I get a few feet away, I have to turn around, get down and call his name, and then he'll come running, but sometimes when he knows I'm going to pick him up, he'll run from me because usually that means I'm going to put him on his potty or in the kitchen.

We're going to clicker training in a couple of weeks. He'll be about 18 weeks old. Is that too young for obedience training, JMM, or if you start them younger, the better?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Sep 6 2005, 09:04 PM
she's not bright, but she's PRETTY!!!!!!!!
She sure is (pretty), but I think she's doing ok....after all she did train you!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.