Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean reallllly watch TV. Leo watches it so intently, not just commercials. The other night, we were watching the movie Mall Cop, Mia was snuggled on my neck :wub: and Leo was sitting upright on my lap, intently watching the movie. He growled at the bad guys, and got all mushy during the sweet scenes.

After the movie was over, and the credits started to roll, he hopped into his cave bed and went to bed for the night, and his snoring began. I have never seen anything like it before. Hubby and I were just so amazed.

I can see catching a commercial here and there, but to watch a whole movie? And he didn't even want popcorn breaks :wub:

Do any of your babies do this?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Spookie doesn't. My Aussie love animal Planet, would rush the screen barking at any animal there. Or any animal on screen. My bil's pooch liked to watch Lassie. When he heard the theme music for the show, he'd get a chewie and settle down to watch for, then bark at his girl.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
no dolce snuggles with me while i watch tv but no he doesnt watch any of it not even commercials.

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
My Rose could care less about tv, but my Lily is amazed by it. If she sees another dog on the screen, she barks and growls like crazy especially big, black dogs. She doesn't like them. Sometimes I have to cover her eyes to keep her quiet!:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Haiku watches intently when a dog (or any animal) is on TV. She'll also watch when there's a lot of motion or contrasting colours.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Your Leo sounds really cute. How intense ;)

Lola used to watch more than she does now. Only certain shows seem to interest her. She always got excited when Lost came on and watched that intently. Wonder if she would get excited now? I should test her.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Kenzie loves to watch Cops, It Only Hurts When I Laugh and Tosh.O. She'll lay at the end of the couch and watch the shows.

Jax and Joey could care less.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nelson watches TV. He doesn't watch entire movies though haha, thats cute.

Some dogs he will bark like crazy at. The other day he actually ran into the TV stand he ran at the TV to bark at it so fast. Some dogs he will just sit and watch. He also barked at a big Kodiak Bear on there the other day.

And certain people he barks at. When their faces are real zoomed in and they are like talking. I dunno if he can like see their aura or what? Because some people he does no reaction, some he stares at, and others he barks like mad at. Is that possible? I mean I know they see people's don't like, like a 6th sense, but I dunno about via the TV haha.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Coco likes to watch a minute or two of TV.
She stood up on her hind legs to watch So You Think You Can Dance!
Very funny to see!
And she'll watch a bit of B-ball to bond with hubby.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awwww all your babies sound so cute!!!! Leo started with commercials, especially the doggy ones, the tail would start wagging and he would bark and couldn't figure out why the doggy didn't respond, :unsure: Mia, would look at him like, really Leo? :huh: But honestly, he has graduated to watching full shows, and always growls at the "bad guy" in the show.

I will have to try and video him sometime, it's a hoot. Thanks for sharing your stories, I love them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Micky watches TV everyday. He sits with my grandma while she watches TV, and really can get into it. He seems to be more interested in TV shows or movies, rather than the news. He seems to react more to TV at night than during the day. I think its the shows that my grandparents watch. Always lots of action and running around. And just like Nelson, he also barks at only certain people, and not others. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I recall either reading or seeing a program about how dogs see differently than humans and are unlikely to be able to make out anything of interest from the tv screen.

I believe it was suggested that they would see the moving frames flashing along the screen (which we cannot see), but they wouldn't be able to focus on anything--especially at the distance that they'd be from the tv (too close I think?). Plus there's the colour issue. So they'd basically just see blurry motion and there would be no reason for it to hold their attention visually.

Assuming there's truth to that, I wonder if your dogs' reactions could be explained by aural stimulation? Or if maybe they're reacting to the emotions they sense from you? (bad guy vs good guy, etc.)

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recall either reading or seeing a program about how dogs see differently than humans and are unlikely to be able to make out anything of interest from the tv screen.

I believe it was suggested that they would see the moving frames flashing along the screen (which we cannot see), but they wouldn't be able to focus on anything--especially at the distance that they'd be from the tv (too close I think?). Plus there's the colour issue. So they'd basically just see blurry motion and there would be no reason for it to hold their attention visually.

Assuming there's truth to that, I wonder if your dogs' reactions could be explained by aural stimulation? Or if maybe they're reacting to the emotions they sense from you? (bad guy vs good guy, etc.)
Awww I don't know. There are times I am in the kitchen and he is purched on the arm of the sofa, only one in the room, but he sits there so he can see me in the kitchen, but still can watch TV. He definetly reacts right away to furbabies, even if they are not barking. I'll have to video it, next time we are watching a movie. But something to think about thanks.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I think sometimes Bisou will watch a movie if we're watching one.

This past weekend I was watching "Underworld" with kate beckingsale (?)- that movie about vampires and werewolves fighting each other..and Bisou was watching it very intently. At one time, I picked her up to face her towards me and she got off my lap, to sit on the couch to continue watching the movie! :blink:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have heard of one person saying that their dog watches TV and will even try to jump into the TV screen if they see a dog on TV (evidently this works even if the TV is on mute).

My two don't know how to watch at all???? But alas, it's better this way anyhow. I prefer for them to read books instead in their extracurricular time. :HistericalSmiley:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts