Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we've tried the topknots and I'm coming to face that I hate doing it and Abbey hates wearing them (at least every day!)
Does anyone have pictures of their maltese in a hairstyle without topknots? All I seem to find is puppy pictures. Is it possibly to get a haircut that will leave enough for occassional topknot (fountain) and down the rest of the time? I really want Abbey to have a rounded even face - Does that make sense? Someone suggested teddybear face to me but I'm not sure how I'll explain that to the groomer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by me and Abbey (who would love to see topknots outlawed!!).

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I don't do topknots with Lexi. Right now her hair is probably long enough to do one if I want. I can try it tonight and take some pictures.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Don't give up! She'll get used to it.

What are you using to keep her topknot up? Just a little elastic is so light she shouldn't even be aware of it. I'd stick with that before adding a bow. (Barrettes are heavier so I'd stick with bows on elastic).

I'm afraid if you cut her hair short enough to keep it out of her face, there won't be enough to put it up at all.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We are not doing the topknots right now because I cut Miko's (well a groomer did) hair short before the surgery b/c I didn't think he would want me to mess with his hair after the surgery. However, Miko really doesn't mind the ponytails with just a little rubberband (not the bow types - too much time and effort for me). I think in the pictures I posted under "Happy Birthday Miko" on May 1st you could see his hair without a bow. Now that his hair is growing out we may start doing a ponytail again but then again, I am starting school soon, so I may not have the time

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
look at pics of sprite and ellie (in the gallery or on dogster)....they have enough hair for topknots...but i dont like doing it to them either.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut doesn't wear topknots. He's in a really short cut though. I think K/C's mom's sig has a pic of Catcher with longer hair combed down.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink doesn't wear top knots either. Here is a recent (today) picture of his face.
Probably not a great example, I trim him myself...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Harley doesn't wear topknots-only when the groomer does it.He doesn't sit still long enough for me to do it. Most the time his hair is in his eyes like a sheep dog

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy doesn't do top knots.. I have enough people mistaking him for a girl as it is. :lol: And the one time he had one, he hated it so much. I'm trying top knots on my girl but she isn't super fond of them either, especially ones with rubber bands. She doesn't mind clips in her hair, I use teeny tiny ones so they don't weigh her down. But I think dogs look just as cute without them as they do with them.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They all look so cute! Now I know she can still have the longer ears and have the top of her head shorter, which is probably what I will do. I have been using the little elastic bands that my girls use, they're very tiny but I still have to wrap them around like 4xs to get it to stay in Abbey's hair (which is very hard to do while she's wiggling)

Mystify79- What kind of little clips are they? I have tried the squeeze clips but Abbey just scratches them right out.

Thanks for all your pictures! I'm glad I found this site - You are all very helpful!

·
Registered
226 Posts
hi abbey's mom.

tessa hates her topknots too! i rarely put them in just because its so hard to get her to stay still and her hair still manages to slip through so its not all that helpful for keeping her hair out of her face just yet. i continue to try it once a week just so she gets used to it.

if you are having problems with the elastic band staying in you are probably not using the best kind. i bought a 75 pack of the scunci no damage poly bands. they won't pull or damage hair. they are clear and fit around your pinky. since they are stretchy, i tie 3 times around usually.

i think the teddy bear cut is a good idea!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I saw a maltese once that was almost in full coat with no topnot. The hair was just parted straight down the middle and it layed flat. I tried doing that with Sunny's hair for when I didnt feel like putting in a top knot (well when it was long, which one day it will be again lol) but I could never get his hair to lay that flat maybe i will be able to now becuase he dosnt have his puppy coat but proubly not that dgs hair was so straight I wouldnt have been suprised if the owners have ironed it. But yeah if Abbey has really straight hair you couldnt try just doing that it would be super easy.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@May 16 2005, 09:18 PM
that dgs hair was so straight I wouldnt have been suprised if the owners have ironed it.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62771
[/QUOTE]

Maybe I am imagining it...but it seems like I read somewhere that sometimes they do straight iron the coat for shows?! Did I dream that?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+May 16 2005, 09:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@May 16 2005, 09:18 PM
that dgs hair was so straight I wouldnt have been suprised if the owners have ironed it.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62771

Maybe I am imagining it...but it seems like I read somewhere that sometimes they do straight iron the coat for shows?! Did I dream that?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62773
[/B][/QUOTE]

They might I have no idea, this dog I saw when on a plane ride I took a while back not in a show. I didnt ask if it was show dog those the owners were not friendly, I know my Sunny dosnt meet standard but they didnt have to be so mean about it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
they MUST use some straightener in their hair or something. i mean...i've tried taking my time and doing the gilrs hair (when it was long)....but i could NEVER get it straight and shiny like that expensive groomer did ($60/dog). they must use VO5 or something.
because i just cant do it. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
No top knot for my little boy but he will always keep the "puppy cut" even when he's not so little.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Bella doesn't wear a topknot, but my camera is broken so I cant post a picture
Bella wore her hair up at first, but one day she she just refused, and well she is the boss, Im only her driver and cook :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Too cute!

I have never seen a dog w/ such a patronizing expression on their face. You can just see her thinking "the things I have to do to make them happy". She truelly has a expressive face. I love it.

I was refering to Lexi's pic. I forgot to add that part. She is adorable

1 - 20 of 31 Posts