Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to learn to crochet and have been thinking about trying to teach myself. I have a few questions to those of you that may already know how.

*Is this something you can teach yourself?
*Is this a hobby that the skills are easily acquired. By that I mean, in a few weeks will I be able to create items such as afghans, simple sweaters, etc.
*How do you recommend I go about doing this? Find a class? Learn from a book?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi I have taught my self to crochet. You can find books that will explain each step. My mother is very good at crochet. And she learned with different books over the years. I got the one that is called creative arts and crafts. It's the beginner's guide and has step by step and all the key techniques, along with 10 easy project to start on. This book will help you to pick out the equipment that you will need, ( like hooks yarn ect.) I also have a site that I will give you once you get started to do doggie sweater.
I know you can do it.
I had the hardest time with the first row, that is starting the chains.
GOOD LUCK..

Attachments

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I used to crochet a little bit when my friends were starting to have babies. I even made a couple of baby blankets. I don't know that you need a class, but it would probably be really helpful if you could find someone who could show you what to do. I suggest that you find some older ladies (maybe your church or your grandmother, etc.). It would make things a whole lot easier for you.

BTW, I've noticed that knitting and crocheting is really coming back into style. The materials are so lovely and updated! Good for you for trying something new.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
No, you don't need classes. You can teach yourself. All you need is a good book to teach you the different stiches and a good pattern. I have done mostly doilies. But this week I will stop at Michael's to buy some yarn to do a poncho for Alex.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does crocheting always have to be done with yarn? Can you do it with other materials such as the new fuzzy strings (I don't know what you call them) or something as thin as say embroidery thread?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Craft stores like Michaels or Ben Franklin have these kits with instruction books, yarn and hooks that teach beginning crochet or knitting. If you are not crafty like me, they even have instruction books for kids--works great for someone who can't even tie a knot. I have to admit, even I learned how using one of them.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You can use any kind of thread. You just have to adjust your crochet to it. When I do doilies, I use very thin cotton thread like DMC cordonnet special 40 or DMC coton perle 12. It's like knitting, you also have to adjust the needles to the wool.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to go tomorrow to get the stuff. I was already practicing tonight with yarn and a pencil, but I could only get so far because I didn't have the hook on the pencil.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just started knitting in July...love it, I have made so many things, halfway through a doggy sweater now, but I too feel the need to learn to crochet as well! I got a "Learn to Crochet" set at Michaels this weekend it came with all the hooks, gauge and some other things, I dont know what they are yet! Anyway I was just diddling around and tried the chain and single crochet from the book, pictures are easy to understand. I need to finish the knitting projects I am working on now before I start crocheting a project though. Good luck in learning...I am with ya! I was also thinking about take a $15 Crochet a purse class at AC Moore to help me get started on something.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh Nichole Crocheting is easy, my mom taught me some basic
steps when I was just a little girl. When I grew up of course I forgot
all of it so I bought a book aswell and taught myself. If you ever swing
on by this way I could shoe you, lol.

It's funny you mentioned this topic because just this weekend (before I even
looked at this forum) I bought a Learn to Knit kit. Can one teach themselves
to knit? And also I am left handed will this make it harder for me???

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
When I was a little girl my grandmother taught me how to crochet. Its not that hard. I'm sure a book can help you. I haven't crocheted in years. Knitting seems harder to me. I found that crochetting went much quicker. Good luck I'm sure you'll pick it up fast.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to the library today and got 6 books and a VHS tape. Then I ran over to Wal-Mart and got some yarn and hooks. I was telling my mom about it and she was like, "Oh that is so weird! I was thinking how I would like to learn." So tonight we are going to watch the tape!

My mom was saying that our cousin, who is kind of flaky, taught herself to crochet, so if she can do it I'm sure we can.

Originally posted by lethalfire@Oct 3 2005, 09:12 AM
Oh Nichole Crocheting is easy, my mom taught me some basic
steps when I was just a little girl.  When I grew up of course I forgot
all of it so I bought a book aswell and taught myself.  If you ever swing
on by this way I could shoe you, lol.

It's funny you mentioned this topic because just this weekend (before I even
looked at this forum) I bought a Learn to Knit kit.  Can one teach themselves
to knit?  And also I am left handed will this make it harder for me???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105643
[/QUOTE]
If I don't get it, I may take you up on your offer!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So my mom, hubby (yes, you read that correctly) and myself sat down tonight to figure this out. Hubby was actually in charge of the VCR. Anyway, we put in the tape titled Crocheting for Beginners and we were ready. So the tape starts off with the lady narrating and she says, "You need to make a chain stitch." She demonstrates it and then moved on to the next step. That was it! The first step took no more than 20 seconds to explain. My mom and I were sitting there like this:
. So hubby rewinds it and we try again, same thing. So we decided to skip the video. We moved onto the books. Wouldn't you know it, my husband picked up the extra needle and figured it out before the rest of us. LOL Anyway, we did get the basic chain stitch and tomorrow we are going to try to move on, but I can already foresee problems. LOL I am seriously thinking about going over to the senior citizen apartments and maybe getting someone there to show me!
I'm not going to give up just yet!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Nicole crocheting is very easy once you know all the stitches and you will learn better from a book with illustrations. I taught myself years ago and from there I managed to make baby jackets, blankets and even some lovely sweaters for myself and my daughter. Once you get the idea it is very easy and very quick and you will get a lot of pleasure from making lovely little sweaters for your furkids.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nichole while you are teaching yourself to crochet I am teaching myself
to knitt. I must say crocheting goes a lot quicker than this knitting stuff
but then maybe it's cause I'm just starting???

Who knows maybe one of these days I will get back in crocheting, I still have
to finish a border on a granny square quilt I did last winter.

Piece of advice Granny Square quilts are one of the easiest quilts to
crochet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Nichole how is the crocheting coming along?

Our Library in this area just sent out a newsletter and they are having
a knitting class a couple of Thursday in November, go figure on Thursdays
I have Choir Practice and Bible Study at our Church, and since I am the
music director I can't exactly just miss a couple of times.

If your library does something like this you might want to mention
the idea to them since you would already have two interested partakers,
yourself and your mother.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts