Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is 80 yrs old and just fell on some ice. I'm heading out there after I close the store. Mom says he seems fine but has a hematoma on the outside of his elbow. Dad's not on a prescription blood thinner but does take a baby aspirin every day as well as fish oil...both of which do thin the blood. Is there any reason he should see a Dr. tonight? I just worry because of his age. He's having a really bad week. Yesterday he decided to 'flatten' the snow in their driveway by driving his truck back and forth on it. *sigh* I guess that's better then having him go out in that frigid cold with the snowblower. However, he backed his truck right into the garage. They have double doors and he hit the dividing wall between the 2 doors and completely caved it in. He's a bit grouchy this week. :innocent:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad's fall.
It must be hard sometimes seeing your parent age.
I don't have any medical advice,
allthough seeing a doctor is always good, just in case.

My hubby also likes to flatten the snow like that.
Thank goodness your Dad is okay after the truck mishap.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If it would be on the head, I would say right away to get him to a doctor. On the elbow I would put ice on it to keep the swelling down. My husband takes aspirin every day, I take it too when I remember. I would not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I think hematoma's are pretty common in a fall I think, especially with old people, but the main thing I have to ask you...did he hit his head at all in the fall? Was he knocked out even for a few seconds? If so then he should definitely go to the ER/doctor ASAP. I don't want to alarm you but I am so cautious about it because of a certain scenario. My BIL slipped on the ice about 5 years ago. Had hit his head and was out for a few seconds. He went to the hospital and they treated his broken arm but didn't do a CAT scan. The next day, he told his wife (my SIL) that he didn't feel right, collapsed in her arms and died of a brain bleed. If he had a CAT scan the day before they could have detected and treated it. It's the Natasha Richardson scenario. Hope you dad takes care of himself. Sending prayers his way.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I don't know a lot but do know icing the area helps. I do think, however if there is a fracture a hematoma can develop. I'd try the icing but if very painful then maybe ruling out an accompanying fracture should be done.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Hematomas

As far as I know, Hematomas are dangerous in the head. Being that your dad is a bit old, I believe you should have him see his primary care physician tomorrow morning since he is on an aspirin regime.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I hope he is ok , i think its normal to get a hematoma resulting from a fall but yes just keep an eye and make sure he didnt hit hs head in any way , hope he feels better soon .

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. He says he did not hit his head but no one saw him fall so who knows. He can move his arm so I don't think there's a fracture. I was just concerned with his age, the fact that he does take a few things that thin the blood and the hematoma. I'm just now closing up and will head out to double check. Sometimes he'll tell me things he won't tell mom. lol Parents!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
My dad is 80 yrs old and just fell on some ice. I'm heading out there after I close the store. Mom says he seems fine but has a hematoma on the outside of his elbow. Dad's not on a prescription blood thinner but does take a baby aspirin every day as well as fish oil...both of which do thin the blood. Is there any reason he should see a Dr. tonight? I just worry because of his age. He's having a really bad week. Yesterday he decided to 'flatten' the snow in their driveway by driving his truck back and forth on it. *sigh* I guess that's better then having him go out in that frigid cold with the snowblower. However, he backed his truck right into the garage. They have double doors and he hit the dividing wall between the 2 doors and completely caved it in. He's a bit grouchy this week. :innocent:
Oh Crystal, bless your Dad and you. The good thing is that it is on the elbow. I do agree, to just make a primary doc appt, just to have checked over. When it comes to the elderly, any type of fall, needs to be just checked, just to be on the safe side. He can be checked from head to toe, just to make sure all is okay. Did Dad say he fell because of the snow? Probably something the doc will ask him as well. I wouldn't over worry, but would be on the safe side, to have him see his PD. I'm sure it's just one of those freak accidents, but it will make all feel better, just to have a little visit with the PD.

Love you and tell Dad to sit still!!! :wub: Bless him.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I say if he doesn't have any bumps on his head, he should be ok. Ask him questions and talk with him for a few days to make sure he's thinking straight. If so...any other part of the body will probably heal quickly. After Stan's brain injury and a bad jolt a year later which caused seizures....I'm always afraid of bumps to the head.

If he's in pain for a few days....take him to the doctor or emergency room for xrays.

Falls are always harder on older people, but if nothing's broken, they'll heal in a few weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts