Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I saw a dog online that I want to inquire about on the Rescue Me website. Does anyone know if this site is reputable or anything about them?

The dog is a female Shih Tzu born on 2/2/21 so about 1 year, 8 months years old. The description said she had a litter of puppies this past July (so at about 1 1/2 yrs old at the time) and according to the post it was “unplanned”, which may demonstrate lack of proper care/supervision. The owner indicated that she has to move and can't bring the dog with her.

Is that too young to have a litter and are there health issues with a dog having a litter at that age? I have read something about mammary gland tumors/cancer.

The dog is due for her rabies shot which has not been done yet because she was nursing. She also would need to be spayed.

Appreciate any information, advice, or suggestions.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
That site appears to be one where shelters and individuals as well can post their animals for adoption. I don't see any indication that the site screens either shelters, adoption groups or individuals. So you would need to do that screening yourself. I know that in the past, Petfinder did not do a lot about screening, and they let one extreme hoarder post about 100 dogs, for quite a while, until she got busted and convicted. I think now Petfinder requires at least a vet letter saying they take care of their animals. But I don't think Petfinder allows individuals to post their own dogs anymore.

So, about RescueMe -- I think I found the listing for the dog you are interested in. It's an individual who posted her. I would be leery about her history. Not vaccinated yet, not spayed yet? Ask for a complete medical history and pedigree or background information, if available. The fee seems high for a dog of unknown background that you'd have to spend quite a bit on right away. The owner really should have her spayed. I hope she's not going to sell her to someone who will use her as a breeder!

I don't have enough knowlege to say what the health risks are, of having a litter that young, if she didn't have complications. And I am guessing, just guessing, that if you have her spayed right away, the risk of mammary cancer probably is not that high yet.

Anyway, I'd look for more information, at least.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That site appears to be one where shelters and individuals as well can post their animals for adoption. I don't see any indication that the site screens either shelters, adoption groups or individuals. So you would need to do that screening yourself. I know that in the past, Petfinder did not do a lot about screening, and they let one extreme hoarder post about 100 dogs, for quite a while, until she got busted and convicted. I think now Petfinder requires at least a vet letter saying they take care of their animals. But I don't think Petfinder allows individuals to post their own dogs anymore.

So, about RescueMe -- I think I found the listing for the dog you are interested in. It's an individual who posted her. I would be leery about her history. Not vaccinated yet, not spayed yet? Ask for a complete medical history and pedigree or background information, if available. The fee seems high for a dog of unknown background that you'd have to spend quite a bit on right away. The owner really should have her spayed. I hope she's not going to sell her to someone who will use her as a breeder!

I don't have enough knowlege to say what the health risks are, of having a litter that young, if she didn't have complications. And I am guessing, just guessing, that if you have her spayed right away, the risk of mammary cancer probably is not that high yet.

Anyway, I'd look for more information, at least.
Thanks so much for your reply. I too did not see anything that addresses if those who post on the site have been screened. Part of why I would have concerns with this site.

The listing said the dog was not yet vaccinated for rabies due to the fact that it was weaning. However, if the dog is now available for adoption and no longer weaning, then the poster should have her vaccinated. Spayed too.

The thought of the poster selling this precious dog to someone who will user her as a breeder is quite disturbing and greatly saddens me. I had not thought of that and it breaks my heart. She looks so lovable and in need of love.

I think it would be quite hard to screen the owner. I did an online search and unfortunately, I didn't find anything helpful.

I am in Northern Virginia and Norfolk is about 4 hours away. I would happily drive there to rescue this precious little dog if I had more information and if I had the right information. She just looks so sweet and I want her to have a good life. I lost my dog to a liver tumor back in May and I truly can't handle further heartbreak so I guess I will have to pass.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts