Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know this might sound like an odd post but I am in a slump and I was just wondering if anyone out there has a job that they just absolutly love. I am 23, I was a bio major in undergrad, took a year off after I graduated and now I am in my first week of Audiology school. In four years, I will recieved my Au.D or Doctor of Audiology degree. For those of you who arent sure, audiologists study ears, hearing, balance. They prescribe hearing aids and that sort of stuff. Anyway, I am in my first week of classes and I just hate it already...I just dont think I can see myself loving this career for my whole life...but does anyone love their career? I mean, I wanna be a vet tech :-( but my mother would be really sad that I spent $120,000 dollars on a four year biology degree to go on to be something I couldve gotten with a 2-year associates degree. And I probably wouldnt make any money. But what is important..to like what you do or to make a lot of money? Does anyone know of any other careers that involve animals, bc, while I love all of you on here...I think I like animals better than people. I couldnt get into vet school (too many un-fulfilled requirements) and I cant think of anything else. I guess I'm just in a little slump, so any advice or replies would be appreciated. Thanks, Lori

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Sometimes I love my job and sometimes I don't. I do think that there needs to be a balance between the money and loving the job. It may not be 100% happiness with both at all times but ideally you will like your job most of the time and be happy with the pay, also.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Sep 1 2005, 06:01 PM
Hi, I know this might sound like an odd post but I am in a slump and I was just wondering if anyone out there has a job that they just absolutly love.  I am 23, I was a bio major in undergrad, took a year off after I graduated and now I am in my first week of Audiology school.  In four years, I will recieved my Au.D or Doctor of Audiology degree.  For those of you who arent sure, audiologists study ears, hearing, balance.  They prescribe hearing aids and that sort of stuff.  Anyway, I am in my first week of classes and I just hate it already...I just dont think I can see myself loving this career for my whole life...but does anyone love their career? I mean, I wanna be a vet tech :-( but my mother would be really sad that I spent $120,000 dollars on a four year biology degree to go on to be something I couldve gotten with a 2-year associates degree.  And I probably wouldnt make any money.  But what is important..to like what you do or to make a lot of money?  Does anyone know of any other careers that involve animals, bc, while I love all of you on here...I think I like animals better than people.  I couldnt get into vet school (too many un-fulfilled requirements) and I cant think of anything else.  I guess I'm just in a little slump, so any advice or replies would be appreciated.  Thanks, Lori
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96266
[/QUOTE]

Lori,

I do think its important to be happy and to love your job. I don't know if you can really tell what being an audiologist will be like just from being in an audiology school. For the first 2 years of med school, I had no idea what being a doctor would be like (I still don't and I am a 4th year). I think you should ask yourself why you would want to be a vet tech. Is it because you just love your little puppy or because you really love and want to take of all animals? I have never had a dog and once I got Miko I did have some thoughts of career change (being a vet over a doctor). But then I realized that I don't really like most animals except for dogs and in fact I probably really only love Miko. I also think you shouldn't rule out being a vet. For med school, if you already have a bacherlor's in something, lots of people go back and complete the science requirements in a year or two -- in fact there are specialized programs out there to speed up the process of fullfilling prerequisites. I am sure that there are similar options for vet school. I think its probably important to shadow a vet or an audiologist or a vet tech to get a good idea of what you would be doing on a day to day basis in order to make your decision.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I posted awhile ago about myself going back to school to become a vet. I have always wanted to do that and should have listened to my gut. Instead I have a degree in computer science and I work for the FAA testing software. I do NOT love my job at all... I like computers but this job is noooooot something I would like to do for the rest of my life. I am almost 25... and I have a lot of financial obligations so I cant just quit my job and go to school... plus how would i pay for school? and pay my bills? My parents already paid for my 1st degree and that is all they are paying for... they understand my feelings about my current job so I tried talking to them about it. They suggested alternative things I can do.. I suggested a vet tech just like you! Honestly though... I dont think I can finanically survive on that salary. It would be rewarding but I have Kodie to take care of... and so far hes been very expensive. I work for my parents business on the weekends so I was working 2 jobs. I thought about possible options I can do... I decided to open my own dog store online (which most of you know of). I now work 3 jobs! haha.. anyway... I hope for the best with my online store. My parents are supportive because i'm using my computer skills (kinda.. haha) and now "working" with dog stuff at least... instead of PLANES at the FAA! -_- I will see how things go... hey... maybe I will be able to open my own store someday
You dont make millions with an online dog store but at least this way i'm still working my other jobs and paying my bills. Sorry for rambling on... I just know I can RELATE A LOT to your situation. It's VERY fustrating when you get into the REAL world and out of school... I know a lot of members feel the same way and expressed it when I had my doubts. Honestly.. your still young so you can still change your mind!
I was told by someone... "you should do what you feel passionate about" .... I agree.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Sep 1 2005, 09:08 PM
Sometimes I love my job and sometimes I don't. I do think that there needs to be a balance between the money and loving the job. It may not be 100% happiness with both at all times but ideally you will like your job most of the time and be happy with the pay, also.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96269
[/QUOTE]
I agree about balance! Thats kinda what i'm doing now with my decision.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Like Kodie's mom, I should have listened to my gut...I hate my job so much that I don't care about the money I make. It's a great salary for someone my age/experience, but I would trade it all away to have a job that I care about and that I love. I know that not everyday can be a good day, but when everyday is a bad day, you gotta begin to wonder about it.
Everyday I wonder why I chose the major I did

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Although teaching is my passion, and I absolutely could not see myself outside of the education field...there are DEFINETELY good days and bad days! Some days I go home shaking my head and wondering if I am REALLY making a difference...if any of them REALLY care?! Then I remind myself that I have just spent the day with SEVENTH graders....in language arts class (very few would choose that as their favorite subject)...All I can do it try my best. Standardized testing gets me down-only because so much emphasis is put on it. I HATE teaching to a test, which is basically what you have to do to survive the student and teacher assessments in the end. (but that is another whole soapbox in itself!)

The good thing about my job is that it is NEVER boring! No two days are ever the same...and nothing ever happens the way I planned for the day to go!
At least that keeps it interesting!

The pay?
Not that great, but could be worse. The funny thing is...most people wouldn't do what I do, put up with what I put up with....for double my salary...let alone what I make.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I absolutely LOVE
my job!!! 9-1-1 dispatching is different every time I go into work. There are never no 2 calls just the same. Some calls end in happiness, as in the day that I provided CPR instructions to a frantic mother, but with my instructions, she was able to restart the childs heart and breathing before the ambulance got there. The child was flown to a hospital and was released two days later. Then there are the times that no matter how hard I tried, no matter how profecient I was in my job, my duty did not make a difference, as in the other day when I had a 20 year old to die on me.

But it's a very rewarding career, but having the greatest boss sure does help!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have an undergrad in Engineering and I work as a management consultant. Do i love my job? Some days, I LOVE what I do. Other days, I am so fed up. But I ask myself ... what else would I rather do ... this is the job I want to do now. I work with different people all the time, solving different problems and issues ... the learning never stops. No, I am not saving lives but I am making small differences in people's lives. Making their jobs easier or better .. and some cases .. worse.

As a child, I thought I wanted to be a lawyer but during my last year of undergrad, I decided that I should work a bit first and decide. Now, I think it is not so much for me.

Like you, I also love animals and considered going to vet school. But that would mean going back to university for a year and get my pre-req and going through school again for 4 years and starting my career over. Who knows?

But you are right, you need to be happy. My sister spent 3 years in law and during her last semaster, she quit. She didn't want to be a lawyer and had no interest in law. She wanted to be a journalist but my parents weren't too keen on it. Well, they are now goin to pay for a second degree.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't love my job, or even like it, but after many years of switching careers in hopes of finding something I would like, I've come to the conclusion that I will never find a job that I would feel passionate about. None of my friends are happy in their careers either. I think it's a rare and fortunate thing to do work that you love, and it's just not going to happen for me.

Now that I have Dolce, I've started wanting to have my own store that sells pet accessories, etc., but there's no way I could come up with the money to do that.

Anyway, at your age I think you should try your best to find work you can feel passionate about. You may be one of the lucky ones. What about starting a doggie day care center? I'm very envious of the woman who owns the day care Dolce goes to. She gets to bring her dog to work and hang out with dogs every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts