Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the other day that Toby is still cowering. He has done this since we got him and I don't know why. He has never been hit or yelled at so I have no inkling as to why he does this. For example, I will be talking to him and go to pick him up and he crouches down like he is scared, but as soon as I pick him up he is fine.

I remember reading an article over a year ago that said some animals just cower and it is their nature. Has anyone else heard this?

Does anyone else's baby do this? I wonder if I should be concerned about it?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have never raised a finger to Little C, but today, when I got home today and found an entire box of tissue shredded and artfully spread about my entire apartment, I looked at her and said, "LITTLE C!" She acted as if she had no bones in her legs, started blinking like her eyes were full of dirt, and shook all over. Anytime she thinks or knows she is in trouble or something is scaring her, she shivers/shakes with her belly on the floor and tail between legs. She acts like someone is about to bash her head in with a brick, though I have NEVER even lightly smacked her for anything at all (though have accidentally hit/kicked her numerous times as she is constantly underfoot and shadowing my every move).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Frosty does this. I will tell her to sit, and then go to pick her up to go to bed or something, and she cowers down. But only until I pick her up, then she is all tail wagging, and licking.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Oh, thank goodness!! I thought Massimo was the only one! Maybe it's part of this breed.....being so sensitive and all. He doesn't like it when I raise my voice either. I'll yell to another room to my husband for something, and Massimo acts like I'm beating him. So I found out, when I hollar I have to pet him and he's fine. hehehe. But Massimo does the same thing N/C describes, the blinking, cowering and sometimes shaking (mostly when he thinks he's done something wrong). I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think it is the breed... that's how my first puppy got her name. I did not know what to name her...but when every she would do someting bad that I could not get mad at because she was so cute... I would say" you you little missy you" she would just plop right down. Chelsey does the samething.. If i point my finger at her and say no chelsey she will flinch back a bit. She also hates load noises and runs and hinds in a corner. The pop can thing scared the heak out of her. i tought her no bark in like 10 min with that. It really was not a nice thing. chester could not careless. Lets just say the pop can with pennies is in the garbage cause it really scares her to much for me to use it. like the other day I let her her crate to go potty and she was doing her little dance.. then she just stoped, up to know I don't know what happened. She just stoped faced the back door growel barked really loadly and took off runing so fast to the kitchen and squased herself in the corner growling. I said chelsey what happened with you.. and then she just came walking over to me. It was like she saw a gost. I'm wondering if it was her reflection in the glass door. last night she was growling at the back door again.
It's waird because she see her refection in the mirror all the time and does nothing.
Anyway I think it is the breed...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Katie does the same thing.. She runs to a corner, crouches down, puts her head down, and lifts one of her back legs.. Her tail wags the whole time, which I don't really get... I always thought it was some sort of submissive behavior... Every time she does it (which is every time you pick her up), my husband gets so upset.. He's just sure someone beat the tar out of her before she came to live with us... We wouldn't hit her for anything (even though I've been told many times by many people it's the only way to get a dog to listen..
)...
Jess

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by yorktesemomma@Aug 23 2005, 02:26 PM
(even though I've been told many times by many people it's the only way to get a dog to listen.. 
)...
  Jess
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93438
[/QUOTE]

I hope you told those idiots that it is not the only way to get a dog to listen but it is one sure way to make him/her afraid of its owner.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh definitely!!! It amazes me how many people think you need to hit an animal to get it to behave... The only thing it does is make the animal scared of you... I've never seen spanking a dog work for training... I don't know why people in this day and age think it's appropriate behavior!
Jess

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Aug 22 2005, 08:46 PM
Cassie knows when I'm about ready to leave for work. She won't come to me when I call her, takes off running so I have to go get her.  She will either literally throw herself down on the sofa or my bed then roll over on her back, as in "I surrender".  As soon as I pick her up ( she's kinda like the limp kid who doesn't want to be picked up), she's her normal self. 
  I think she thinks it's a game,
I think she's gonna make me late for work. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93201
[/QUOTE]

Kallie does something like that, too! When I'm ready to leave the house after being there for lunch, Catcher will go to his crate by himself (he is so darn good) and then Kallie will sit in the living room waiting for me to come carry her to her crate and she will go limp and just look soooo pitiful!! They know our routines better than we do. At all other times she will follow me to the back of the house where the bedroom is but at lunchtime, she knows that when I go back there I will be leaving soon. They are so smart!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh I know how much they hate being left, Scooby is exactly the same even though he isn't left very often. The minute he sees one of us put on our shoes or go into the bathroom and do our hair, or daddy get changed into his going out clothes he starts getting all excited thinking he is going somewhere. We have taught him that if we mention doctor he isn't coming and boy does he lay on the guilt trip then. He will follow us to the door right on our heels and if we close the door we have to make sure he isn't half way out. Of course when we come back all is forgiven and he is just so happy to see us. We spoiled him so much by feeling guilty and buying him a surprise if we did leave him that now he expects a new toy or treat every time we come back, so we have put a bag of his toys in the car and when we come in we bring one with us. He thinks it is a new one and is so happy to get this renewed favorite that he forgets his misery and has a wonderful time.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey does the same thing. I have never hit or yelled at her but sometimes the way she acts you would think I have beat her! My problem is that my grandaughter, who is 14 months old, hit Lacey hard on Sunday so now when Lacey sees her she starts shaking. My grandaughter was so excited her little hands and arms went crazy with excitement and of course she got Lacey. Now I can see why alot of breeders don't want small children around these little ones. My grandaughter could do some damage to my Lacey. So now I have to be very patient with Lacey and teach Alexis (my grandaughter) to be very gentle.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Aug 23 2005, 07:41 PM
Lacey does the same thing.  I have never hit or yelled at her but sometimes the way she acts you would think I have beat her!  My problem is that my grandaughter, who is 14 months old, hit Lacey hard on Sunday so now when Lacey sees her she starts shaking.  My grandaughter was so excited her little hands and arms went crazy with excitement and of course she got Lacey.  Now I can see why alot of breeders don't want small children around these little ones.  My grandaughter could do some damage to my Lacey.  So now I have to be very patient with Lacey and teach Alexis (my grandaughter) to be very gentle.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93531
[/QUOTE]

You know they have a real good memory too for anything that hurts them. Scooby used to lay in his bed in hubby's computer room till one day he slipped on the wood floor and hurt his back knee, now he won't walk on any slippery surface at all and I have to have mats down to get him to walk out the back door to go potty. This happened months ago and he still won't go back into the computer room.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Aug 24 2005, 10:21 AM
we have put a bag of his toys in the car and when we come in we bring one with us. He thinks it is a new one and is so happy to get this renewed favorite that he forgets his misery and has a wonderful time.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93527
[/QUOTE]

That's a fantasic idea! I'm going to sneak some of Harley's toys out to the car now! Although, I haven't been able to stop myself from buying him new ones just about EVERY time I have to go out without him!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts